Why does the Royal family need so much money?

Hi Barbara… what you went through in London… that was then… years ago and you did what you thought was best.

But you did ask me what I would have done… and I told you the true story of my very first experience with someone who was “stealing” and my natural reaction to that situation.

I only know a little about life in the London in the 50/60’s…from the tales of some of my family were there through very dark times… dangerous times… I am glad I grew up quietly in the countryside.

I am talking about the seventies, eighties and nineties when I had
a restaurant and lived in London.Oh and part of 2000,
In the sixties I was too young to understand what my neighbours
were getting up to…neighbours being gang members/leaders.
You were excitedly judging me against your own composition of life
and we lived in totally different circumstances.
I was poor but made a rich life for myself doing almost everything
I set out to do, slowly and modestly.
I am sure that you came from a totally different background.
Perhaps your father was an army officer?
Am i omniscient or getting it all wrong.

Well Stella we are introduced through Survive France.
May the forum continue being helpful and uniting and thank
you to the two who created it.

@Barbara …I was not and am not judging you.

Would I have been so “brave” if my first experience with stealing had arisen in London? who knows…:open_mouth:

I have had to be brave many times since then… but never when my life might have been in danger…thank heavens.

London was, and I feel still is dangerous but the danger has changed.
You did not tell me that I am wrong about your background,

Stella I hope that you might answer my last question…perhaps I am wrong?

Barbara… sufficient to say you are not omniscient … but then who is ??

Lots of inner cities are dangerous, not just London !

Ok, you were talking about the seventies through to 2000,(not too clear at first,) but from what I can understand Stella just mentioned that some of her family experienced life there during the 50/60s and talked about it.

Why on earth should it be relevant what job Stella’s father had ?

Sometimes life outside the big cities can be hard too !

2 Likes

Ann yes lots of cities are dangerous but London was the one city in the limelight.
Stella knows why we were discussing her fathers work…and her background.
Life is hard …full stop.
I am never extremely clear Ann but that is nothing too detrimental.

How does a yacht showcase Britain?!
It just shows unnecessary extravagance, whilst ‘the minions ‘ are struggling to make ends meet.
A far better idea would be a lottery to fund the NHS; try to make up for the lie emblazoned on the bus just before the referendum!!

yes indeed.

I love that expression “the rich get richer, the poor get poorer”! Difficult to get wrong really. One would need to quantify things a bit. At what level does one become rich? How much in the bank do you need? And poor? There are those who are homeless & rely on benefits to live altough some on benefits seem to be able to afford more expensive toys than those who work for a living.
Controversial perhaps but the phrase does state the obvious! The rich, that is, those who have a sufficiently healthy financial cushion, will get richer purely by dint of putting some of it in an interest bearing account. Of course, it then gets lent to those who need it but the cost of borrowing it is passed on but the opportunity for the poor to start something exists because the rich put money there.
I feel that if the rich had their money taken away & given to the poor it would act as a disincentive to all - why should the rich invest their money (creating jobs etc) if it is going to be taken away & why should the poor try to improve their lot if they are going to be given money anyway?
Biggest problem today is that so many people think that “the government” should pay for this or that. Put more money into roads, healthcare, or whatever the new social problem might be on trend. Newsflash - “the government” gets all its money from the tax payer who has to earn so much before they pay it. The government has none of its own!
The Royal Family are net tax payers rather than benefit receivers.
Personally I feel that the Royal Family today are a quaint British tradition who do not wield any political power so do not control the direction of the country but certainly do good throughout the world. They do not cost the taxpayer anything but they do attract tourists (which is more than the weather does). Good luck to them.

3 Likes

I would estimate that several SF members would be in the world’s wealthiest 1% so should they start giving their wealth away to those on benefits or below the poverty line?

If there is anyone that wealthy on SF… they will probably be already falling foul of the ISF …:roll_eyes:

Anyway… Happy New Year… to one and all… we are spending our Xmas Bonus from DWP… on a night out with the Football Club… byee

There is a misconception that the top 1% are all multi millonaires or billionaires when in fact a net wealth of 650k Euros would get you into this elite group of around 40 million people.

oh Mark you mentioned savings and interest.
The last time I looked at my HSBC account I
had 7pence interest paid in a month.
Maybe the rich get a more favourable interest rate.
I will never know or ask.
But we are all here…managed another year.
I hope that you all have a plans,good things ahead and lots of conversation
on here…It is now 2018.
Good health.

try “the queen”

for what?
I have friends who are wealthy but gained their wealth through
extraordinary circumstances…
Do you remember the Locaby bombing…and the the dark secrets
surrounding this?
You probably do not.

their presence doesn’t attract tourism. That’s just a propaganda lie.

1 Like

So who are those folk, who line the roads, who gather in crowds, who fill the hotels… whenever there is a Royal happening…??

1 Like

I’m not bothered either way, but your statement could equally be false. Depends which propaganda you read.