Why is it a "very bad thing" to be a Tory?

Did you vote? And if you did, for which party?

You just don't get it do you? After reading the post I was amazed Veronique dignified it with a response at all. The reason you have shot yourself in the foot is because you used all the stereotypical behavior analysis one would expect from a tory voter.....

@OP

I find it incredibly insulting/condescending to assume that all non tory voters wear trainers.

Nuff said.......shot and foot spring to mind......god help us!!!!

Empathy - that's what a Tory doesn't have. You might need to look it up.

@Bob Craske good reply

Beautiful

Exactly David.

Both Labour and Conservatives said that they were there to support working families and provide more apprenticeships etc.

I find the mind set that derides those that have ambition and drive in the same way that made fun of those of us who went to grammar school as ‘posh’ pathetic.

Because you vote Conservative, those who don’t seem to automatically assume that you don’t care about other people, state education and the NHS, which is totally untrue.

I would say that we all have to be realistic about our changing population and the need to provide education which will provide good jobs and careers for our young people. An academic education is not the right choice for everyone and it is a shame but a degree now

Seems to be necessary for the most ordinary of jobs and saddles young people with a debt that they will find it hard to repay.

Social housing should be for those who need it, not tenancies handed down to children or sold at reduced rates to tenants.

I deplore the bedroom tax and worry about people who have to pay it, even though they have no hope of finding a smaller property.

I am a country girl and rural poverty is not that well understood by those who live in towns and have access to cheaper goods, services and transport.

Quite right too, no need to be vulgar.

Oh dear. So now I'm curmudgeonly. Thanks for the compliment Bob. Love it.

Redistribution. I'm happy to pay taxes so we have good services provided by all of us - because that's what the State is - for all of us.

One has to wonder why David?

Dus itt mak that mutch diference?

GPWM (good point well made for those who didn't know)

And my other (deleted) reply was an acronym too ;)

True - I feel ashamed when I see how beautifully some older people - who perhaps left school at 14 - write and speak (French or English) and look at (here it comes, proof I am a fogy, drumrollllllllllll...) many Young People Nowadays.

I have a thick skin Bob :)

Spelling Nazi

Great- were they not rather prone to rust and body rattle? The mustard yellow was the classic. My previous pride and joy was sold way back to pay school fees and now I note they are worth about £45k! Only car I ever owned I sold for more than I paid for it plus all the work. It became a ttal hadful in London and did 10MPG.![](upload://uhWAExMq4ExgRIVY7xCcMO35yyK.jpg)

In fact there's quite a good deal of estuarine about Winston Churchill's alma mater now! Too late for me to change. I seem to be an almost professional reader of lessons at funerals. I have thought about hamming it up a bit just to liven up the event and regularly listen to Burton and Olivier on you tube to do so. No public school education there of course, just proper english..

I didn't say anything about class, David. I think many politicians and especially Tory ones are fairly divorced from the grim reality of many people's lives now in GB - one might well expect someone like me to be completely pro-Tory, and I'm not. The fact that politics in Britain have drifted so far to the right means that I'm now away on the left, which is ironic really (and I have also had my accent imitated, throughout my life, for derisive purposes - but I don't care, I'm not going to start speaking estuary English as some sort of public relations exercise. I can remember very well people who spoke just as I do arriving in King's bar when I was an undergraduate and dropping consonants all over the place in some feeble attempt to obtain street cred. What a joke.)

Dear Bob, totally agree with your initial premise. I have felt it, heard it, suffered it when I was a teenager at school and now 30 years later, the same friends still have the same reaction. Just had 2 retired Midlands teachers (60 ish) over for dinner and stay-over and they reacted in exactly that way too! Discussed a bit of politics with old school friends on Facebook and the residual feeling is still there.

I explained to them "working families" (Labour) is not me. That 2 part phrase is peppered with implication ... you work, i.e. you get up everyday and do a job, probably employed. I don't have children, so don't really have a family in the sense that Ed Miliband intended the phrase. So "working families" does not fit me in anyway. But Conservation values fit me more. Oh no, that's not allowed, one is seen as diabolical.

Me sick of it too. I agree with you. Will read your anecdote or example now ...

C'mon Veroniqe- you are ladling it on! Politics generally has gone the same way and media exposure has brought schooling, set up venues, soundbites etc to get rid of thetype of Brown faux pas. They are all at it. I didn't do Cambridge or Oxford but did the other stuff and a well known world leading college where in the sixties, most of the staff were so far left of centre they were bending over backwards. They were intent of replacement of the political system and didn't much like me because they knew I was in the reserve forces amognst other things. One tutor even called me a fascist to my face. Another asked me if I was ahomo because I had been to a public school. Others took off my accent. However they did me a favour in a perverse way. The antics there enabled me to form political opinions I didn't have at school, where in fact I was very leftish. There are plenty of good MPs and some bad ones on both sides. I'm just bored with all this class stuff which, darling, is so yesterday!