Why we must support Brexit

Phew… pay it into the UK account, I don’t mind… so long as it arrives… :slight_smile: or I might have to start charging… :wink:

I used to think that - or rather I though that he wanted to keep the Tory Eurosceptics in line with a strong Remain vote but Daniel Korski’s article and Nick Clegg’s book are worthwhile reads to gain an insight into his thought processes.

In particular Cameron turns out to be less pro-EU than I thought (sort of pro-EU in a typically British way).

Not that that stopped him from retiring to the south of France.

I have to admit I can’t blame him for that as quite jealous.

That was more to do with various types of financial institutions based in the UK not being licensed to move money into EU accounts after Brexit.

That’s the problem, lots of fine words but no commitment. It hints that perhaps there might be problems but ask a direct question and the answer (if your question is not totaĺy ignored) is always the same as it has been for over three years, 'Nobody knows". In my opinion nobody cares either.

All that the Uk government has to do is make a firm commitment. It won’t.

And read https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/21/britons-living-in-eu-rights-theresa-may-brexit-speech

But couldn’t it also.be the EU’s refusal to discuss this or agree terms? The EU are hardly forthcoming in this regard. As for my political views … you have no idea what they are so please don’t assume.

What are you accusing the EU of being responsible for? For not allowing the UK to cherrypick the positive parts of EU membership? For not discussing the Chequers Agreement that would involve damaging their basic values? For not ruling on how the UK will treat its citizens who continue to live in the EU after Brexit?

3 Likes

So the practical upshot is that one might have to arrange for the pension to be paid into a UK bank account, then transferred. I imagine, say, Transferwise would not be affected as it doesn’t actually move currency across borders anyway.

It amounts to a bit of additional hassle - rather more than a world away from" I won’t be paid my pension"

Exactly. There was yet more scaremongering going on.

1 Like

Absolutely - I believe that was the exact word I used.

I am not accusing anyone of anything … merely pointing out the fact that there are faults on both sides.

Can you specify where you think that the EU is going wrong. They are not the ones who have instigated change, they want to get Brexit over with as seamlessly as possible, while maintaining their core values, so that they can continue developing as the 27, a real power in world terms.

2 Likes

I’m just trying to look at it with a balanced approach. I just don’t see the EU as all good or the UK as all bad. They are both equally responsible for reaching an agreement. To keep piling all the blame on one side (the UK) is just too simplistic. We all know it’s more complicated than that.

1 Like

Your views are evident in you haste to blame the EU for not giving the UK it’s cake.

The EU have nothing to do with the commitment assumed by the UK for it’s citizens living in the EU. Under treaty agreements the UK pays for healthcare for S21 holding citizens and paying state pensions at the same level as UK residents. It seems to be planning to abrogate this treaty.

Indeed it is the untrustworthy actions of the present government who plainly distorted the already poor weather statistics to prove that a UK pensioner living in Dunkirk cannot be given Winter Fuel Allowance as the average winter temperature there is warmer than that in Palermo.

The plan was and is to flounce out and blame the EU.

1 Like

“Why must I suffer for your political beliefs?” … Unfortunately somebody always suffers for other’s political beliefs. Why did I have to suffer years of Labour and Blair? Because democracy put them into power. Suits some, doesn’t suit others.

3 Likes

So yo expect the EU to change their basic values because one member who doesn’t agree with those values wants to leave?

It’s difficult to comprehend that two years on both sides are still saying the same thing. The EU was never going to bend from it’s ‘four freedoms’ and the UK was never going to let NI be treated differently from the rest of country. Something has to give or we have a ‘no deal’ scenario which no one wants, who’ll give in?

How did you suffer? Did you loose your home?

Did the outcry of the mob deny you justice?