Why we must support Brexit

Steady Richard, please could you explain how you would lose everything.

whoa Richard, clearly I’ve touched a nerve there … taking us into an illegal war for one example. I think everyone’s personal safety has been affected by that. And 10bn a year pensions grab directly affected me (not all 10bn of course because I’m not THAT rich).

But my point is to address that one person’s voting choice which benefits them might cause others to suffer. Not sure where the baying mob comes into it …

1 Like

Our pensions have been paid into a uk bank account since 2004, we used atm’s, until the exchange rate got messed with, so we now use hifx, which works fine.
No probs.

1 Like

@anon88169868

There is a possible other pension issue which is for those who have yet to access their pensions. OH hit the age last year and decided to go for an annuity…however since the referendum most companies refused to deal with non UK residents, and the remaining 3 that that did gave significantly lower rates. And I mean significantly - in one case £3000 a year less. And the one that was OK insisted that you apply via a financial adviser, and of course that financial adviser has to have passporting rights to offer advice to someone in France, and there are not that many of them according to gov’t pensionwise advice.

So if it was difficult and financially non-advisable last year when we were still in EU I hate to think what it will be like next year!

It is certainly looking like a game of “who will blink first” at the moment.

Unfortunately one of the real, negative, consequences of Brexit - of which there are many.

I wonder what historians, looking back on this in 50 or 100 years time will make of it but right now it seems to be a total mess.

They might find some similarity to … The Charge of the Light Brigade… ??? :thinking:

Well, the clueless leaders bit has resonance.

yes, that is certainly what struck me… :wink::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Where did I say that I expect the EU to change it’s values? Where did I say that?

They are your thoughts/your words that you have chosen to super impose.

You have stated that the EU refuses to discuss this or agree terms and are not forecoming. The EU has always made it clear that to agree to the Chequers proposal would be to erode their basic values and those were not negotiable. They have made their position crystal clear and explained their reason for doing so. You seem to be saying that both sides need to give a little as though they were even handed. Unfortunately that’s not the case; on one side you have 27 countries determined to work closely together by sharing similar values, on the other you have one country which believes that their citizens do not share those common beliefs and wants to leave the club. Why do you think that the EU should give away anything that damages their cause?

2 Likes

Where exactly did I say this? These assumptions of yours are really what kills open discussions. They are your thoughts, your words not mine!

Just carry on assuming … it’s the only way to avoid open discussion and balanced outcomes.

I don’t.

OK, you seem to think that I’m misreading your posts so please write in simple words how you expect the EU to compromise with Britain to make the Chequers proposal workable. I have pointed that they cannot because to do so would erode their basic values yet you say they need to be more flexible. Please tell me, how do you expect them to be able to do that? I really don’t think you have a realistic grasp of the situation.

1 Like

Thats easy, I live in my own home in France. From 1 April I loose all my rights (emphasise ‘rights’) as a citizen of the European Union. As I am not a French citizen I have no rights. If I loose my heathcare then I would be unable to stay in my home, I would have to return to the UK. Where would I live? The amount that I could sell for would not buy a slum in London. I could loose every thing I value to the idealogical whim of xenophobic islanders.

How long have you lived in France?

How long have you been a French resident? If you have lived here long enough you will have rights from your residency even if you are no longer an EU citizen.

3 Likes

With respect Richard, that is so dramatic and so wrong. If you’ve been living here and are tax resident then you’re entitled to a CDS which guarantees your residency rights. The healthcare issue is only a maybe IF you’re a S1 holder but even then you can pay to be in the healthcare system. Finally, why do you have to live in London, what’s wrong with Redcar?:wink:

1 Like

Yes David. Here’s that link again to the French law.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070158&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006335180&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid

1 Like

I must disagree with your statement that the budget must be balanced. Whilst I do agree that current expenditure should be covered by taxation in the short term, capital expenditure should be spread over the life of the asset.