Why we must support Brexit

Fourteen years.

No I donā€™t. All my rights in France flow from my EuropeanCitizenship. Why do you want me to loose it?

In that case, as David says, you will have built up the right to stay in France, as long as you have been ā€œabove boardā€.

We donā€™t - at least I donā€™t and I donā€™t think David does. But you will have acquired the right to live in France having done so for so long.

You have lost me.

Richard, 10 years continuous residency gives you automatic rights regardless. The healthcare point still stands, you can pay if the worst happens.

The point about housing costs in London is (with respect) irrelevant as you chose to move here knowing the risks.

But even if we loose the S1 cover we can still be in the french healthsystem like anyone else. Before we got our S1ā€™s our cotisations were only a couple of hundred a year (8% of the amount over the threshold which was around 9K) which we were happy to pay to get a decent health service. For us far better to do that that return to the UK.

1 Like

No, I have not. As a UK citizen I am a mere foreigner here and my only ā€˜rightsā€™ are those of a European Citizen. I do not expect that the French state will eject me but I have no rights to stay.
Maybe the French state will honour its commitments, I expect it will, unlike the UK .

Another Brexit argument.

ā€œItā€™s all your own faultā€

You have every right to stay Richard in accordance with the laws of France. Did you read my link? Your residency rights have nothing to do with being a UK or European citizen. Read my link and you will be reassured.

Come on Richard, the housing cost predicament affects many here not just you.

1 Like

I suggest you do some research on the gouv.fr sites and you will discover that you are panicking over nothing. Your rights as a resident of 14 years give you security.

1 Like

Threads like this get to the point where I think that that poster canā€™t be for real. Thatā€™s a huge worry as with the huge amount of misinformation and scaremongering around at the moment there are a number of readers who will be in similar positions and will be worrying about nothing.

1 Like

I agree, itā€™s almost as though a particular poster enjoys moaning and scaremongering for want of something better to do.
Pity the person involved cannot take the time to look at links that have been provided instead of trying to spread panic !

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had enoughā€¦ and I reckon most of you have too.

The French Govt Siteā€¦ quite clearly states who has the right to stayā€¦ and after 10 years, you donā€™t even have to prove you have sufficient incomeā€¦no matter who you are and no matter from whence you cameā€¦ :relaxed:

Letā€™s get real and move onā€¦ for heavenā€™s sakeā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Exactly. I can see Iā€™m wasting my time trying to talk about fair play on this site so I give up! Fairness, balance it simply doesnā€™t register here. AND just to prove your assumptions wrong, I actually voted to remain. Would I do that now, given the chance? No! I have been disgusted at the behaviour of people who are incapable of accepting a democratic vote.

So I wish you all well. Continue to worship at the holy shrine of the EU whilst demonising the UK. I hope it serves you well. I shall continue to view the faults on both sides because that is the reality.

Elaine

3 Likes

Fair play? What does that mean? Surely common sense and economics have to be taken into account as well. You have stated several times that you believe that the EU should give more but refuse to accept that they cannot from the position they are currently in. If you know of an obvious way forward please share it.

2 Likes

Elaineā€¦ā€¦I am seriously at a loss as to why you and millions like you think that the EU should change anything to accommodate the UK. It was the latter who voted to leave and they cannot therefore expect any favourable treatment. Quite simple really. Of course the rights of citizens should be considered and protected but as far as any economic preferences are concerned why should the UK expect them? As a member of the club you take the advantages along with the disadvantages. If you are no longer a member you get neither. So that is one stumbling block removed. In or out economically?
As far as the Irish border is concerned it is obviously not readily solvable so you may as well give up now. Logically the EU will effect a border (and quite rightly in my opinion) the day after any hard/cliff fall Brexit so that is the second stumbling block dealt with. Accept a border or have it imposed.
I shall continue to worship at the holy shrine of the EU because I do believe in its values. By contrast I stopped believing in the capitalist/materialist/celebrity worshipping society that is the UK many years ago so other than any concerns I may have about my friends and family who live there I have little care what happens to it.

6 Likes

This morning Teresa May remarked that the EU must make some ā€œcounter proposalsā€. Someone should should remind her that it is the UK that wants to leave the EU & not that the EU wants to get rid of the UK.
The UKā€™s decision to leave has caused the other EU members a whole lot of extra work & cost & now, because TM cannot make it work she expects the EU to do it for her!
Maggie Thatcher renegociated the UKā€™s membership terms (in the UKā€™s favour) while still maintaining a fair balance - the new politicians do not have the skill or, I venture, the brains, to do something similar & insist on driving the bus over the cliff regardless of the shouts of the passengers who have had a second look at the map.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Elaine, perhaps you are unaware that the Vote Leave campaign broke the law and overspent on their Referendum expenses.
If that happened in a General Election or by election the result would be declared void.
Perhaps you might like to review your remarks about fairness?

2 Likes