Why we use photos on Survive France

Hi Simon, will you be asking Paul Flinders, Helene Wright, Timothy Cole and others the same question - Just Asking,

Yes of course Dan if they reply to me like you did !!! Anyway - do you have an answer? I have to say I find it just as baffling that SF even allow you to be a member if you don’t load a personal photo. It’s either a rule or it isn’t ??? Personally I couldn’t care less :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m rather with Dan on this one - it would be so easy but rather dishonest to use another person’s photo - it’s not exactly hard to find images online.

Choosing an avatar indicates that I a) haven’t just forgotten but b) don’t especially wish to have my image “out there” (I photograph badly anyway) and c) wish to be honest about that fact.

None of us know that the images posted are actually of the people who they purport to be - generally I assume that they are but they might not be.

Point of clarification, is a photo ‘a requirement’ of membership or ‘preferred’ as part of the forum etiquette?

1 Like

Oh, further thought - what of people like Nellie (and others) who’s photo is little more than a scene with a distant human figure?

1 Like

Hi Simon - Been a member since 2016 with no photo - This recent clamouring for my photo in particular has me baffled. And pleased to hear you couldn’t care less one way or another?

2 Likes

For myself distance is like a filter, I don’t particularly want all of my wrinkles on show!:joy:

2 Likes

Spurious - just sign up with Facebook using your FB profile pic
easily verified.

Just as easily a photo of someone else.

OK ok ok
we can always find reasons NOT to do something. Personally I’ve got nothing to hide so am just not arsed about my photo being used. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Cannot understand the comments ‘I respect my privacy’. Unless you are a very well known ‘celebrity/famous’ what do you think is going to happen ?

Are you afraid that someone on here might recognise you in a street in France ? " In all the towns and villages in France you came into mine"!

Are you afraid that someone might actually meet you and horrors of horrors actually want to talk face to face ?

I put up my photo almost as soon as I joined , I have nothing to hide and I like to get a sense of the people I am replying to.

You could of course download any old photo of someone else but I think that says a lot more about you, to think of doing that rather than being honest !

The rules are there, surely if you don’t like them there is an easy answer 

7 Likes

Spot on Ann!

Do you normally do your shopping in Intermarché or wherever looking like your pic - I have a feeling you would be unrecognisable sir - Looks like a disguise to me!

Dan I DO!!! That (cropped) pic was taken in a golf cart with my wife - I quite often wear a baseball hat and sunglasses. It’s a thing we golfers do - even when walking around IntermarchĂ©!

Here’s a slightly less ‘cropped’ version - enjoy!

6 Likes

Great that you have gone to the trouble of putting a photo of yourself on SF, Now in my opinion when one reads and looks at your posts they will be treated with more honesty and respect, shame that the others on here who have plenty to say but refuse to play by the rules do not agree.

8 Likes

Hang on - if I don’t want to put a photo of myself on the site I shouldn’t be strong-armed into doing so, I can’t see that it is actually in the terms of service and the system allows three choices - the “system assigned” initial in a coloured circle, a “gravitar” or a photo.

Some of the images are fairly poor or show a very tiny image which is no more useful than an avatar.

I can live with “encouraged”, but forced is beyond the the pale as far as I am concerned.

As to whether I am polite or make posts which others might value I’ll let the record speak for itself.

2 Likes

First of all, thank you Stella and @vero for the sterling work you’ve been doing encouraging people to upload profile pics.

Secondly, thank you to everyone else who has done so. You are what makes SF unique and such a nice friendly place to hang out.

Thirdly, we removed it as an official requirement as we didn’t want to be seen as draconian and assumed that most people would have the sense to use photos , knowing that if you don’t, quite simply, it spoils it for everyone else.

And finally, “I value my privacy” ? Really? You’re not an A list celeb avoiding a stalker Dan!!

Quite honestly anyone who runs any kind of business is going to have a public profile and if people really want to be anonymous, they should stay off the internet.

4 Likes

To be fair Dan needs no more reason that “I didn’t want a photo on this site”. Neither do I especially - FB is the sole exception, I don’t “do” photos on other forums (fora?) either.

Yes, you could argue that is inconsistent but that’s how I wish to allow access to my image.

I’m glad it has been removed as a requirement - one can still encourage after all :slight_smile:

removed

Why Facebook only, is it because you have to be seen there, and you cannot live without it so why not on SF.