Why we use photos on Survive France

Hope this helps, couldn’t find virtual choccie biscuits so improvised :slight_smile:
:coffee::coffee::cake::cake::chocolate_bar::chocolate_bar:

1 Like

This what you need? :joy::joy:

1 Like

Yum - thanks!

Ooh ta!!!

Have you reflected on other reasons why people may be uncomfortable with photos?

2 Likes

One lady told me that she felt a photo might lead to promiscuity on the forum…

but I have never noticed anything like that happening… :thinking:

3 Likes

@Stella - you don’t sense it - my word the tension is often tangible!

Perhaps need to be a bit cautious on the run up to Valentines Day - the postman couldn’t cope with delivering more cards… Who am I kidding!

2 Likes

Yes, the topic has come up many times over the last 10 years. For the sake of clarity, it is not a membership requirement, if you don’t want to use a photo then that’s ok, it’s just encouraged. However, real names are a requirement and one of our few rules.

1 Like

That’s so funny. Perhaps she was hoping!

1 Like

Jane I actually really like your avatar but, I have to confess it makes me think about the Jilly Joneses each time I see it! :joy::joy:

1 Like

Never thought of that…perhaps I should turn it yellow just for fun. (BTW the only person who has a gilet jaune in our house is the dog).

1 Like

Just changed my passport photo for the up & coming 6 Nations to an avatar.
Stella, I promise to put up a photo after the 6N’s until the World Cup.

3 Likes

Thank you James for this clarification “If you don’t want to use a photo then that’s OK” - Hopefully that’s an end to the persistent badgering.

3 Likes

Yes, and there are lots of them. For some it’s about having control over who they choose to be seen by. Most people accept that appearing in public necessarily involves being seen and, at times, being scrutinised and judged by others. Some cover themselves to prevent this, or to mitigate it.

A person has a fundamental right to cover as much or as little of themselves as they wish from the scrutiny of others. There may be legal reasons for requiring people to waive that, so much is accepted. Otherwise the right to have control over how much one is seen is unquestionable. No one has a right to deny that right to others, except through the law and in specified circumstances. To question that right or one’s claim to exercise it is IMO vexatious and illegitimate.

Many people in overseas countries resent being photographed by strangers without permission. This has sometimes been attributed to a primitive or superstitious “fear of having the soul stolen”. This is another unwarranted assumption on the part of supremacist observers who have little understanding of local custom or culture. Again it’s a matter of control, and of thoughtless intrusion on the privacy and personal choice of strangers.

Fortunately it is gradually being recognised as social and cultural affront to the dignity and autonomy of equal others.

1 Like

Hi Jane l spend a lot of time taking pictures in and around Bordeaux and have learned, very quickly, that the privacy laws here in France prevent me from photographing people without their consent. Publishing them is even more complicated as it requires written consent depending on the context in which they were taken and whether or not it is in the public interest.

Having control over your own image, and how it is used in France gives a whole new meaning to Street Photography. I spend an awful lot of time explaining that they are an interesting subject but the majority will only allow me to use their image for my own collection and refuse publication - which is so frustrating as l have some great pictures l would love to share and/or exhibit.

However l do respect their right to privacy and have got into the habit of taking photos void of any people.

2 Likes

Strange given how Diana was chased around Paris!

4 Likes

Public interest exceptions…

1 Like

This article explains the complicated (obviously) French laws on Photos versus Privacy:

https://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/paris-city-of-rights/

Er…photos of themselves? hmmm…like a certain member with the Leeds United logo as his photo? Or the one with one of the seven dwarves??

1 Like

Lol I thought that was a Jilly Jones. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: