Wild life in the garden, or around!

I had the same problem in UK.
Really annoying.
We managed to block the entrance, it was a new house.
Bats will quickly find a new roost and we didn’t want a problem when we needed to sell the house, as we knew we were coming to retire to Burgundy.

Do we realy need a proof ?

3 Likes

I first thought it was a Hornet, but no, this is a hoverfly, Volucella zonaria, Hornet mimic hoverfly ! Quite big, about 2cm.

5 Likes

Beautiful colour!

Love the low sunlight on the Kestrel :+1:

Such wonderful photos always Babeth!

1 Like

After four kestrels, here are 3 buzzards !

5 Likes

We’re so lucky to have displays like this, sitting on the terrace :hugs:

One of the real joys of life here… the wildlife… dashing/scuttling…whatever… but these giants of the sky… swooping… or gliding majestically …wow

I could watch them for hours (and sometimes do) :hugs:

2 Likes

Not the best quality pictures, a bit far, but two hares and a buzzard. Could be a new Aesop’s fable ?

And just the two hares

5 Likes

First hares I’ve seen for a few years, well :+1: spotted

Seeing them being harassed by kestrels, crows, even swallows, totally amazing :slightly_smiling_face:

Been really hot and dry here again today…but at one point the sky turned dark…the birds stopped singing and we had a few minutes of light rain…I ran into the front garden raised my arms to the sky and let the rain fall on my face…soon as it started it was over and then I happened to notice a wall lizard in the tub of water that the birds use…! She was really struggling to get out as the water was really low so I helped her by bending a flower towards her so she could climb out on her own…I am soooooo glad it albeit very briefly rained when it did or I would never have noticed her as I hadn’t been in the front garden all day…I’ve now topped the tub up for the birds and stood a branch in there…also put out a shallow dish of water with pebbles in it close to her hideout…I’d have been really sad to have found her drowned as she was here when we moved in and I’ve been fascinated watching her and her little ones…x :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My rescue mission yesterday…about a dozen baby salamanders appeared in the village Fontaine the other day. IT’s fed by a source so I guess they just washed through. Unfortunately the farmers take water out of it for the cattle using big powered suction hoses. So by yesterday only three were left. I fished them out (mad English woman…) and released them in our stream.

6 Likes

Lovely. I would have done the same thing :smile:

1 Like

I often put a branch, stick, anything at hand… into any container that they might get trapped in. Then, at night, when on my patrol… I will see snails moving up and down them… and, yes, sometimes a little creature grateful for the escape route…:relaxed:

2 Likes

Newly hatched Carpenter bee complete with sawdust from its driftwood home in our garden,

6 Likes

Beautiful Chris !

We have a couple of perennial salvias in pots nearby which they love, and it’s comical to watch tiny wild bees knock them off. They just fly straight at them!

1 Like

Anyone spotted a Praying Mantis this year… we normally have a couple or so… but seen none so far, despite the heat… :thinking: