Wildlife Cameras

Anyone got any Wildlife Cameras and if so what is visiting your garden, we have three Cameras and so far we have a regular Fox and a Hedgehog, we did have an Owl that sat on one of the Cameras and would then hop down and walk about for a bit always near the Chickens, for a while we had a Pinemarten and we had a few Rats that were dispatched a bit lively.

3 Likes

Hi Mark, are they Mink?

@Paddywack
They look like otters to me.

Can either of you recommend a wild life camera Mark, Paddywack? I was looking a little while ago but other things got in the way, but I’d like to get a reasonably good one that won’t brake the bank.

I’ll be interested too, someone comes privily by night to my garden and makes off with chicken carcases etc and I’d love to see who it is :slightly_smiling_face:

I have this one, no pictures to show of animals yet but in 4K they should be better quality.
4K Wildlife Camera 20MP 2160P Trail Camera with Infrared Night Vision, Hunting Camera with IP56 Waterproof, 120° PIR Range, Motion Activated, 2.0" LCD, Game Cameras for Outdoor Wildlife Scouting https://amzn.eu/d/hzFqTZa

Thanks Corona, I’ll have a look at it, there’s so many out there now!

I too would be interested in good camera recomenations.
There are so many to choose from. Had one last year that worked for 6 months then nothing, did all the usual stuff with batteries and resetting but still nothing and at 100 euros it just wasn’t worth the faff of return by post under guarantee when reading all the small print.
We did record a family of foxes and later in the night 2 badgers apears but never fox and badger at the same time.
Currently we have a badger latrine in the garden which is used most nights despite me earthing it over they just dig it out and continue to use. At least they keep their poo in one place unlike foxes and hedgehogs. Washing our dog after a roll in fox poo is not a pleasant experience, that smell takes some getting rid of :poop:

Absolutely! After many cheaper cameras like my early dashboard cameras for the car etc when I went to 2 or4K the improvement in quality, especially when you zoom into pictures was stunning. 1080p is nowt compared to the others and justifies the additional cost for 2K or 4K IMO

I have three of these and have had them for several years based outdoors in all weathers all year round. Needs 12 lithium batteries each but they last ‘forever’! I point the camera and ‘frame’ what it is looking at with its separate view finder. It also has two close-up lenses.

But they are pricey.

There are so many ‘trail cameras’ on the market aimed mostly at the hunters of this world.

I wanted what I call a garden camera – and this fulfils my needs.

EDIT: You can see some of my videos in ‘wildlife in the garden and around’ thread.

Hmmnnn… …not sure where I posted them now – here are two of them – daytime and night-time.

Otters

And this is a wildcat ( same place, same night)

1 Like

I have an Apeman branded 1080p “trailcam” which has served us well over the years. I’ll post some of its captures when I remember where in the Cloud they are….

Some camera placement tips:

• Unless the location protects the camera from direct or near direct sunlight (dense woodland etc), mount the camera facing north.

• Short bungee cords are great for mounting your camera on things without having to make holes in them. Take a few angled wooden wedges with you so you can angle the camera up or down relative to the item you’ve just strapped it to.

• Trim away any foliage in the detection arc of the camera’s PIR that you think is likely to cause false triggering as it’s a PITA to trawl through hundreds of captured videos only to find they were all triggered by a single plant moving in the breeze.

• Have a trial run setting up your camera near your house so you can get a feel for it’s detection range and how good the IR illumination is at night.

Top Camera Purchasing Tip:

• Buy one which outputs video files in MPEG4 - the one standard just about everything can play.
2 Likes

Is my cat a wildcat then?

2 Likes

A Genette commune, I reckon… I’ve seen one around us. It was a while ago but very distinctive.
(not my photos, by the way… there are loads on Google…)

got some similar markings… do you know the provenance of your cat??

Felis silvestris, definitely not a genette (size, markings and head different)

2 Likes

That’s a new one on me… thanks…

not seen any of these… yet…

She came from a smallholding in the countryside near St Brieuc. Her mother looked quite small so we thought perhaps she had got out and maybe been impregnated by a feral cat. Our Tiggy is lovely but very much an outdoor cat.

1 Like