Will there be a new tax on second homes owned by British people?

I agree about the title.

The fact that several councils have already put the extra tax into practice shows to me it’s an easy money spinner and the extra revenue will come in handy when the TDH discounts kick-in.

Simple answer to first question - jobs.

1 Like

Tim we have come to France and have stood on our own 2 feet and have
created our own jobs.
All the tradesmen in my area are far too busy.
All the well run buisnesses are doing ok and if a buisness is badly run
then it will fail anywhere.
Vineyards …some are suffering due to adverse weather conditions.
But many are adapting with new additions to their structure…exactly what I
have been saying for many years.
Every one has to think and plan essential.

Yes. Definitely.

Sadly Tim… it is not just the loss of TH… councils are already feeling the pinch… grants and financial support from the Government have decreased alarmingly.

Smaller communes are certainly finding it difficult.

@Stella this newish tax only affects the larger communes.

@barbara_deane1 small towns and villages across France are dying because the jobs are in the main cities, you only have to look at the census population changes to see that.

Taxe D’Hab is not a newish tax… but the 2017 law allowed a wide variation in the different percentages that could be charged… and this is where the size of the commune/town is important… according to my understanding of the documents online…

I didn’t say TDH was a new tax.

You said Newish and so did I… We are obviously misunderstanding one another, then, Tim. no problem…:relaxed:

Well, most types of jobs have always been in the big cities, that’s nothing new. The reason small towns and villages are dying is because the rural economy has changed so much in the last generation or two, fewer and fewer farming families are able to make a living from the land, and it’s very hard to see how it will ever recover. So potentially you could encourage business and industry to move into the villages and turn them into into mini cities, or you can let the popular spots turn into predominantly holiday villages, but neither is going to turn them back into thriving rural villages. The first won’t happen on a grand scale any time soon because the economy isn’t strong enough, and the second has already happened in some places but it’s not sustainable. Villages can’t hibernate in winter and suddenly switch all the services back on when the visitors return. Higher taxes on holiday homes might fund basic services year round but some services are use them or lose them, if nobody uses shops half the year, they won’t be there any more come next summer.

Yes true.
Villages and people do to a degree hibernate in winter.
Our woodman works hard throughout the year and if he plays his cards
right he keep his customers.
Not answering calls or keeping his promise is a set back for keeping customers.
The local shop has a good audience it just needs to tidy up and do a better job of
presentation…not to be fancy but for other reasons. Prices are really high and now
that a mini major supermarket has moved in near by they are getting some warning bells.
The deli in the next village is exspensive enough but thinks about what they offer and put
some effort into their selection and disply…some reginal goodies are highlited and an offer here and there
on meat products or cuts. People find a reason to be loyal.
Not asking for change in community life but awareness.

Barbara, when I made faggots recently I had to go into the town to buy crepine because the very good butcher in the supermarket did not have it.
We have no shops near us and have to make a special journey, so tge supermarket is easier, especially in the summer when Cluny has tourists.

Have not had faggots for a hundred years.
I bet they were good.
Hard to find crepine these days.

Once outside the EU British citizens in France will be subject to increased taxes when selling 2nd homes.

The French government tried to impose the increased taxes on non-French residents before but the CJEU (EU Court of Justice) ruled that such a tax was discrminatory and EU citizens have to be treated in the same way as French citizens.

One of the “benefits” of leaving the EU.

Are there lots of British citizens with more than one property in France then? Just curious…

It isn’t whether they own more than one property in France.

It is about whether they have a property which is deemed to be a “second home” and there are lots of British Nationals who fall into that category. According to some estimates the number is in excess of one million when you take into accout people owning holiday homes and/or who have bought a property to eventually retire to.

This is part of the reason for the massive discrepancy beetween the UK estimate of 350,000 British nationals resident in France and the 1-1.5 million British nationals who own a property in France.

It’s ok - I understand the issue. It’s just that you said ‘British citizens in France’ which I took to mean UK immigrant French residents. I misunderstood :wink:

1 Like

Simon,

I was simply refering to British citizens in France, whether they are immigrants or not is irrelevant, although it will make a difference whether they also hold French or another EU27 nationality in which case as EU citizens they will be protected against the discriminatory taxation on second homes…

Yes it is. I don’t believe many UK immigrant French residents have second homes in France. Most just have one - i.e. their principal home as a French resident.

3 Likes

It may well be French nationals not French residents, and of course, under EU rules the French cannot discriminate between EU citizens on the basis of nationality.

There are many British nationals in France who own a second French property as it is often part of their income to let a property. It is part of what we do to supplement other income we have.