Will you be seeking French Citizenship?

I will be a UK one Stella :unamused:

but not just yet
 :wink:

I hear a fire engine in the distance :rofl:

No. If my life depended on it I could not. I’m English. My father especially would be turning in his grave.

Not sure where to post this grauniad article for info which appeared today, I’ve chosen this thread, though it doesn’t seem to capture the recent flurry of citizenship awards posted elsewhere?

Interestingly describes a citizenship ceremony in London.

There is one thing which strikes me though, the author is saying they wanted citizenship because they wanted to be French, as opposed to ‘being european’ or ‘keeping FOM’ or ‘brexit’, all previously expressed reasons for applying. I guess it’s a bit like -

Q = ‘You don’t need French citizenship - you have your Irish passport’
A = ‘No I want to be French!’

:slight_smile:

PS I did the questionnaire too, so you’ll all have to check the latest figure!

1 Like

?? Not sure what that refers to

2 Likes

Maybe James’s two option questionnaire at the beginning of this topic?

Nice to have a follow up and see who has finally become French

1 Like

I have!!

The Grauniad article is unfortunately typical of what a formerly very good newspaper has become. Simply, the writer is living in London but is married to a French national. So can now be ‘French’ (at least in London).

Eh? You have lost me.

1 Like

@janejones Sorry for delay replying - yes it was the questionnaire at the beginning - forgot that people wouldn’t see the beginning. And I’m glad you have received your citizenship, I have absolutely no doubt it’s because you wanted to be French! Hopefully one day for me

Interesting article in yesterday’s Le Monde about the rate of naturalisation of Brits across EU & Schengen countries since 2010

German has consistently been the most popular nationality sought over the period and accounting for a third of all demands, with French coming in 2nd and Swedish taking the 3rd spot.

3 Likes

Not in 2021? Hardly there at all compared with 2018, 2019, 2020. If I was in the office looking at that data I’d assume there was something wrong with the figures.

I took out German nationality when I lived in Germany before I moved here. It was dead easy and just took a few months, nothing like the obstacle course it seems to be here. That could maybe explain why so many people did it.

1 Like

Pre-brexit people were able to get German nationality and retain their existing nationality. After Brexit British people had to chose - hence a massive spike in 2019 before shutters came down. Equally Germany, and subsequently Austria, launched restitution schemes for those who lost nationality in WWII. Which is most probably why Austria starts to figure more after 2019 and German figures jump after 2016.

I wonder whether 2021 is actually a more natural pattern.

1 Like

We will soon know if the boy has been successful obtaining Austrian nationality - looks like it should happen ok though.

2 Likes

My son applied for french nationality 3.5 years ago which was then slowed due to covid (usual excuse worldwide for paperwork it seems). Anyway he had just got out of bed this morning and was in jammies when the doorbell rang and the gendarmes were there to see him and ask him to come for his interview with them this afternoon to complete the application. So, if you have applied, be aware youmay also be asked to visit the gendarmerie in person with all your documents etc too as previously they used to come to your home and interview you there.

4 Likes

That is the case if you are applying on the basis of residence but one can apply on the basis of marriage to a French national (also over five years). In my case I have been resident (his time) since 2020 but married to my French wife for 29 years, so could apply now on that basis.

*this time

You can edit posts to fix stuff like spelling errorz.

Click on the little pencil icon under your post.