Will your behaviour change from Monday 11/5/20?

It was addressed to a particular individual in a particular context and some veiling of meaning was useful to my purpose in sending it in French.

I acknowledged the possibility of it being show-off, and even that it was and is sometimes a hubristic risk.

At the same time it is a minor pleasure as well as a risk, and I can trade those off in my own mind and feel comfortable with the result.

Es-tu jaloux ? :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Never

2 Likes

Du hast vielleicht dein eigenes Bibel?

Googlefrei garantiert :hugs:

2 Likes

Natürlich, nür einen andere Sprache.

1 Like

quote=“Rocam, post:84, topic:29971, full:true”]
Natürlich, nür einen andere Sprache.
[/quote]

Umlautswertig überlastet? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Honest, I can’t help it, I’m stir-crazy! :exploding_head:

2 Likes

A number of French news threads are supplied in, errr French and it tests one’s mind to interpret them. Google doesn’t always give the right nuances particularly as regards gender.
Those of us who live in France encounter French speakers probably on a daily basis and it is good manners to engage with them in their mother tongue - no matter how badly.
Better to do than just take the typically arrogant route of demanding the world and his wife speak English.
SF has been a good resource for me in improving my French so I will defend the right for anyone to write in the language.

3 Likes

Stella your post reminded me of this well known quote…

3 Likes

Or if you prefer…

2 Likes

As a retired octagenarian living alone in Covid land I don’t get as much chance to meet with people as I need to, although I have conversed with my same-age neighbour almost every day for five years, which has helped. So I try to make conversation with as many as I can.
There’s a mixed-race French-Algerian mendicant I meet once or twice a week who taps me for ‘un Euro’ at every encounter to feed his thirst for cheap cider, which I always tip him because he is so amiable and cheerful. He salivates a lot when he speaks, like ocean spray, and most of his talk is about his old Algerian mother, and her occupational history. But I like him. He walks the streets with an empty shopping basket, and haunts the rayons of the supérette looking for items to pinch, so he can claim a refund later at the caisse. They always cough up.

Yesterday I was guest at a neighbour’s birthday fête, he is my age almost exactly: he was born on the 10th, me the day before in 1938.

Over tarte à la rhubarbe and à glass of Brut we shared our experience of œdème of the feet, all 8 of them as we were 4 of us, all over 80.

I learned the French for elastic stockings, and that hallucination is the same in French as English.

I am therefore rather intolerant of people who knock my efforts to learn French, and to use it where and when I can without having to apologise or explain myself to Brits, to some of whom I cordially say qu’ils/elles aillent se faire foutre. :hugs:

4 Likes

To which, no doubt, ARP Warden Hodges would retort “le vôtre napoléon” :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :rofl:

1 Like

or “plume de ma tante” as per you know who… :grin:

1 Like

Returning to the subject of the thread (an apology, rather than an admonition to recent digressive posters)…

Today my wife and I had our first proper F2F conversation for two months with another human being (tho’ we’ve had several with apparent aliens and non-human animals). Tomorrow morning I’m going to the local outdoor market and am looking forward to buying food from the people who’ve grown it, rather than some anonymous veg in the Intermarché. We’ve been going to some very local producteurs, but it’s been a tad haphazard and more complicated than one might have expected. I’m looking forward to again buying porc noir and a proper jambonneau in Figeac market on Saturday, as these aren’t available in our immediate vicinity, also on Thursday, visiting our cheese man in the Cantal.

And on Wednesday our walking group will reconvene and we’ll be doing a not too rigorous route along mediaeval tracks through the chestnut forests on the hills around Conques. So, it’s not quite life as normal, but it’s pretty dammed good. And isn’t it great to go out with two in a car and not having to remember to fill in the attestation. Only downside, now have OH reminding me I’m doing more than 80kph

Nevertheless, so many French things to be grateful for!

1 Like

I felt quite vulnerable without one today, but the tension is palpably less around people in town, and I was able to book a haircut for a week tomorrow. I’ll be first on her list, so she will still be reasonably fresh. She told me that standing stooped behind the chair all day is very hard on the legs, feet, and shoulders.

Why no attestation :thinking:?

1 Like

Because you don’t need one any more !

1 Like

In some cases you will do

1 Like

@Fran24

Depuis le lundi 11 mai 2020 , vous n’avez plus à avoir une attestation de déplacement dérogatoire pour vous déplacer.

It’s official, unless you are going beyond the 100 km as-the-crow-flies prescribed limit.

1 Like

From The Local
When announcing the new travel rules, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said that a permission form (attestation) would no longer be needed when leaving the house, except for journeys of more than 100km.

Journeys of more than 100km can only be taken for “imperative” reasons, such as family emergencies and vital work reasons.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I’ve still got a pile unsold in the shop, everyone in Carmaux seamed to have stopped using them from the announcement last Thursday !

1 Like

You forgot for entering the country.

2 Likes