Windows 10 upgrade - no answers

I followed the procedure as set out on the Microsoft website!

If I change my mind, can I cancel my reservation?

Yes, you can cancel your reservation at any time prior to installing Windows 10. Here’s how:

• Right click on the Get Windows 10 App or Windows icon located in right end of the taskbar.
  • Select “Check your upgrade status”
  • Select “Cancel reservation”

Which was an epic fail. As you can see, it says nothing about the "hamburger".

BUT (cue a drum roll, please ...)

YOURS WORKED, KRISTER!! So simple when you know about the hamburger!

Thank you all sooooooooooo much.

Note to self - don't follow instructions from Microsoft re Microsoft products. They miss out the important hamburger.

Apparently....

I found several sites when searching for "cancel reservation upgrade windows 10"
Here is one link:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6730-get-windows-10-app-cancel-reservation-free-upgrade-windows-10-a.html

But you said you had tried and it didn't show the Cancel Reservation selection? Maybe you followed a different procedure.

That's what I'm hoping for actually, Al. If it just sits in downloads or the recommended updates box, I can nuke it. If it does an unannounced automatic download/install for when the computer's next started, then I'm worried. I can't imagine the second will happen - surely I must be aware of it 'arriving' - but then sneakier things have happened ...

On the bright side, it looks like Microsoft will download version 10 automatically but leave it up to you when to install it. Presumably you could leave it uninstalled and delete the download if you have any concerns.

Totally agree with you both, Krister and Peter.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I don't want it downloading and tried immediately to cancel it - which failed. Plan B was to have a chat with Microsoft to get them to either (a) cancel it or (b) confirm the effect on Bitlocker. Ho hum, that also failed.

Then came Plan C which I should have done first - check on SFN in case any of the members had an idea of how to deal with this nonsense or have more info generally.

I agree with Krister, there is no hurry, you can be sure that early versions will contain many bugs that will require updates.

Further if I recall the discussion on this board when W 7.0 was released, it was better to completely remove the early version of Windows else if you installed 7.0 you ended up with a melange of new and old versions.

As my lap-top is quite old, my plan is to wait and buy a new laptop (or equivalent) a couple of years after W10 is released, though of course that may not be a suitable option for everyone

One reason for my caution, is I want to see what W10 actually does, since my primary use is not for watching TV or movies but doing some serious computing. My impression so far is that W8 would be quite unsuitable for the work that I do. Hopefully W10 has recognised that as an issue but I will wait and see.

I would still emphasize that the best option is to wait and see. You have 12 months to do the free upgrade to Windows 10. And there is definitely no hurry, you have a perfectly good and working system. Maybe you won't even need Windows 10.

Carl, you're a gem. I now have options.

Nothing to worry about Valerie.

If your computer does not have a TPM chip on the motherboard you use a USB key instead to store the encryption key.

TPM's are just a chunk of memory for storing the same thing.

Instructions on USB sticks and their use can be found HERE

And just for information you do not have to spend a bundle of money on a PC to get one with a TPM.

I copied this from HERE

I would be 100% certain that upgrading to Windows 10 Pro will get you what you want. You cannot get an 'Ultimate' version because they are not doing one.

I found this on the spec:

"BitLocker requires either Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2, TPM 2.0 or a USB flash drive (Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise only)"

My computer doesn't have TPM (worked that out when I first activated Bitlocker so could only encrypt a section, not the entire computer) so if the option is only either TPM or a flash drive, does that mean all work for that client has to be worked off a USB drive, not the computer itself? ie only the USB can be encrypted and not the computer at all? Don't think that would make them happy bunnies.

Thanks for that Carl. I had a quick skim through but I'm not sure the intention behind "Bitlocker is still around" - it implies it's not a general inclusion, only on certain 'levels' such as Enterprise, as it was on the W7 Ultimate version but not on W7 Premium?

My safest route is just not to let the bloomin' thing download if I can't find out how to cancel it. I'm sure this is a huge panic about nothing on my part. Ordinarily, I would just chat to Microsoft but seeing as how their site is 'not secure' at the moment, ho hum ...

Thanks Peter.

I've got a 3GB Intel. It's already pretty slow on occasion (I've always got several things running at the same time for work) so don't want to overload it even more. When the client insisted in Bitlocker (Axcrypt wasn't enough for them) I had the choice either to upgrade to W7 Ultimate or go for 8. I'd heard so many things about 8 I thought I'd stick with what I knew (7) which is why I wasn't sure if the 10 Pro would still have Bitlocker if it's a "downgrade".

I will be cancelling it if I ever find an option to.

Sticking with the enterprise features, data security is always a big concern. Multifactor authentication based on smart cards or tokens is now built right into the OS. Bitlocker is still around, offering full device encryption, but Windows 10 now offers application and file level data separation, which can enable data protection even if that data leaves the device. Though they have not gone into a lot of detail as to how that is done, it likely leverages some of Microsoft’s other technologies such as Active Directory Rights Management Services.

I found that HERE

BTW, The minimum specs to run Windows 10 are nothing to worry about. They have set the bar VERY low.

Valerie,

I don't think you need be unduly concerned, as the Pro version of Windows 8 (& 8.1) has Bitlocker available, & it would make sense for the Pro version of Win 10 to have it as well.

To be completely certain, however, you should make sure that you take a 'disk clone' backup of your current system at least weekly. (If you're not already doing this, you risk grief galore should your hard disk ever crash, as mine did, just once .....) You could then restore your current system as it was before any 'automatic' upgrade. (Microsoft don't usually ride quite so roughshod over your system when they do updates. They usually ask if you really, really, want major changes.)

FWIW, 50 years of computer experience tells me to avoid brand new versions of major software components as if they were ridden with plague. Is there some big benefit to be gained by being one of the early adopters of Win 10? Even if you can't cancel it currently, with the right backup you can undo it, but it would be better to decline it should you get the choice.

As a matter of interest, what sort of processor, clock speed & RAM does your current system have? These 'free' upgrades have a habit of actually slowing down machines that are currently running OK, as they expect greater resources for everything. You then end up buying a new machine a year or two sooner than you might otherwise have done.