Windows 7 support ends 14th January 2020

I suffered from Win 10 Derangement Syndrome and resisted the switch for a very long time. Then my techie friend convinced me (he builds my computers - 2 degrees in electrical engineering). Scottie is a yank expat now living in 82. He has a blog, scottiestech.info, that simplifies the install and the fixes that 10 initially needed for security. I was apprehensive at first but now really like 10. Its much like 7 so the transition is painless and very intuitive. I have had no security issues and the updates have not been problematic as some of the older Win 7 updates were.
Here 's a collection of his blogs on the Win 10 upgrade. https://scottiestech.info/?s=upgrade+win+10 His posts are always informative and aimed at viewers who are NOT techies. He walks us step by step through fixes and features for many of our hardware and software issues.
ā€œLikeā€ his facebook page and youā€™ll always see his latest blogs. In addition to practical info they are entertaining.

1 Like

Many people have found the same. It is very fashionable to criticise any new Microsoft operating system and these criticisms gain traction and get amplified with people who havenā€™t tried them.

I installed Windows 10 for my parents who were concerned as their friends had been doom mongers - they are very happy with it and canā€™t understand the negativity.

I agree that it works, but for the average user it does too much. Itā€™s a bit like a Swiss Army Knife with a selection of tools that you are never going to use.
And the constant updates are a pain, especially when it needs a restart to complete.
By comparison, Ubuntu rarely requires an update and doesnā€™t stop you working while it does it.

2 Likes

I guess it depends what you use it for.
Each new version of Windows, Word etc tries to be more and more intuitive which is fine if what you want to do happens to coincide with what it thinks you should want to do.
For instance, the simple process of selecting a file to open takes more clicks in the newer versions of Word than it used to in Word 2003. Unless you want to keep opening recent documents, which usually I donā€™t - why would you? - it now takes three clicks to get to the browse screen that you used to get to in one click.
And itā€™s a fact that each version gets heavier and heavier, whereas to most people, the lighter the better.
As for the touch screen option, I donā€™t think many professional users want to put fingermarks all over the screen they need to readā€¦
I think Microsoftā€™s mistake is trying to make a one size fits all system, when in reality users have vastly different needs. Microsoft thinks itā€™s all about the user experience and focuses on introducing features that it hopes will catch peopleā€™s fancy and make them love using it for its own sake. And no doubt thatā€™s the right strategy for geeks who love exploring what technology can do, and at the other end of the scale for people who donā€™t actually need a computer and so in order to stimulate them to buy one and use it, it has to be a fun experience. But for some of us, itā€™s a tool that we need for our work, itā€™s not an end in itself, and so the lighter, faster, cleaner and less intrusive it, the better.

3 Likes

This ^^^
If all you want is a knife, all the rest just makes it unnecessarily cumbersome.
There should be options.

This Juggernaut is intended to work on desktops, laptops and tablets. Microsoft plan to keep updating it for ever, rather than writing new versions. The mind boggles!

This is a difficult position for Microsoft - I am happy with updates as they are bug fixes and security patches. The opposite would be they donā€™t fix issues and security problems as quickly as they could - hence rock & hard place for software providers.

You are able to schedule when updates are done so they happen when you are not wanting to work on it.

This would then make the install process be more complex. Microsoft canā€™t win.

Is there really a need for different operating systems between these 2? The sales of desktops has dwindled with the increase performance of laptops. I have recently scrapped my desktop and use my laptop plugged into a docking station with keyboard, mouse & monitor attached - this gets used when ā€œproperā€ computing to do, but most of the time just use phone or ipad.

Having tried with Nexus and Galaxyā€¦on my lap and on the table, I know that a desktop is right for me. sitting comfortably, shoulders and wrists relaxed and everything feeling " just right". phewā€¦ thank goodness, back to almost normal.

1 Like

Hi @Stella. This is a laptop in a dock (not mine)

The laptop is in the corner powering the monitor. You can also use the laptop screen at the same time so perhaps have emails on one screen and browser on another. I used to have 2 additional monitors so 3 in total, but not now.

This way you get the comfort you mention , but you can take the laptop with you if you want to - it seems to be the best of both worlds. So the laptop replaces the big box. My laptop sits on the floor under the desk.

what keyboard do you useā€¦ desktop or laptop ā€¦ and mouse???

You use the ones plugged into the laptop via the Dock. (you can use the laptop ones but less convenient).

The docks look something like this:
2792628-a

You plug in the monitor, keyboard & mouse into the back of the Dock in the same way you would with a desktop - then you just clip the laptop onto the dock - all of the connections are then made for you without having to configure anything.

Like this :
https://youtu.be/eEVmJeoY2_0

You just leave the monitor (s) keyboard and mouse plugged into the dock at all times. You unclip the laptop with just one click.

I meant, there should be a choice of operating systems to install, beyond Home and Pro. Not the same os but just different install options. Something pared down. There was talk of a Windows Lite, what happened to that? But I bet it would still heaps of stuff most people donā€™t particularly want.

It comes down to is the stuff that you donā€™t want the same as stuff that other people donā€™t want.

I havenā€™t owned a desktop computer since the mid 1990s. Since then Iā€™ve used laptops and, like Mat, used a monitor, full sized keyboard and mouse when I needed to sit at a desk to work.
For the past seven or so years about 95% of everything that Iā€™ve needed to do has been done in my iPad. I still have a laptop for the two or three programmes which canā€™t be used on a tablet as efficiently as on a PC.

Well letā€™s see.
How many SF members use all or most of what you get with windows 10?
How many would be happy with a bare bones operating system with a browser and the ability to add whatever software you want - Office, photo/imaging, skype etc etc?

Anyone fancy setting up a poll?

sounds ideal for youā€¦ but I know my limitations. by the way, OH is sourcing a new QWERTY keyboard for me as I really cannot see my bad hand coping with the current one.

Hereā€™s my latest keyboard - I love it! :heart_eyes:
It was 12 euros on Amazon France.

WP_000572

1 Like

Is it QWERTY or AZERTY Tracey? UK or American (if QWERTY) so Ā£ on shifted 3 and 2 win keys with AltGr key?