Windows 7 support ends 14th January 2020

Ha ha… not in my case… :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :upside_down_face: :wink: got to give you something to take your mind off the serious stuff:::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :hugs:

Fingers are cleverer than you think.
It gets to be reflex to press Shift for numbers, full stop etc.
Even when AZERTY is set as default, your fingers don’t completely forget their QWERTY mode and it probably wouldn’t take too long to reset the default. Possibly even hours of rather than days of steady QWERTY typing.
But constantly switching from one to the other is always going to confuse them I fear

I do hate that, I think there should always be an option to see what you’ve typed, especially when they lock you out after three wrong attempts. If I get it wrong twice I start panicking which greatly increases the risk of getting it wrong a third time!

Well, time will tell whether or not I stick it out with this keyboard. OH says I can think of it as a form of physio for my bad left hand… that is a good thought. :relaxed: :relaxed:

I confess I cheat enormously for accents

I just let the spell checker put them in! :slight_smile:

Afterwards, if there are some the spell checker missed - where there are two different words which differ only by a diacritic - say a vs à, or (eg) moule vs moulé a bit of cut ‘n’ paste usually suffices.

This is one thing which is better on the phone keyboard - a long press on a letter brings up the accented alternatives.

The option is often hidden in plain sight Anna.
Often, at the end of the field, there is an eye icon (or similar) which shows you what you have entered. For security reasons, it doesn’t persist though; you have to set it each time you want to use it.

Yes I always use the eye icon when it’s there, but what when it isn’t?

Use a password manager such as LastPass; it will place the password for you…

Free plans still come with the suite of LastPass applications, which are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android as is the standard fare for password managers. However, free plans simply get the browser extension, there is no desktop client available.

I use Chrome (for my sins) and it does remember and automatically insert passwords if you let it. However, since having my laptop nicked I am obviously very cautious about storing passwords. I don’t want to store them, I just want to see whether I’ve typed it in correctly or not!

Have had LastPass for some time but it all gets to be a bit of a mess after a while and takes too long to load. But Firefox does a good job of remembering my logins and saves me having to remember everything.

If your computer gets nicked (or hacked) you should change all your passwords immediately anyway.

1 Like

Exactly, and WHAT a hassle that is - when you don’t have a computer to access all your accounts on :roll_eyes:
As I recall
email accounts x 4
banking x 3
accounts/invoicing app
URSSAF
net.entreprises
impots personal
Impots professional
professional association websites x 4
amazon
those are the ones that come to mind, and then there are all the other random accounts you’ve set up on retail and travel websites, plus the various forums .

With LastPass you would only have to remember your login password, so if your laptop got nicked you could still access your passwords on other devices. Then generate new passwords for peace of mind.

2 Likes

Makes sense to have more than one device that can access the Internet. When one of them goes wrong, you are going to need the other one to search for a solution to your problem.

My phone was in the same bag as my laptop…

Don’t tell me - Your credit card was in there too and the number to phone is on the back of the card and even if you knew the number they also stole your purse and so you couldn’t use a pay phone . . . . .

You thought you were joking didn’t you :grin:
But yes, my purse, all my credit cards, my passport, my driving licence, my house keys, everything, it was all in there. I was peacefully sitting at the bus station in Turin waiting for my coach, reading my kindle, with my backpack with all my worldly goods in it on the seat right next to me (I travel light, one rucksack -theory being that if you only have one bag you can’t lose anything…). Then suddenly it wasn’t there. How it happened I still don’t know, I never even saw anyone come close. The only electronic device I had left was my Kindle that was in my hand, and a fat lot of use that was!
Looking back it’s a tale to dine out on but it wasn’t funny at the time I can tell you. Specially as I don’t speak a lot of Italian and the carabinieri weren’t massively sympathetic.
My sole focus when I eventually got back home (thanks to the one nice Italian policeman who donated me a 10€ note and let me print off my coach and rail ticket from the police computer, thanks to the nice coach driver who let me onto the coach with no passport, lent me his phone to make distress calls and even bought me a sandwich and a drink half way through the journey, thanks to the kind lady in the metro in Paris who bought me a ticket so I could get from Gallieni to Saint-Lazare because the ticket machines don’t accept bank notes, only coins and cards, and massive thanks to our maire here who picked me up at the train station which is 30km away and lent me 1000€ cash to buy a laptop and generally sort myself out until I could get at my bank account again, and sorted a locksmith so I could get into my house) was to get my sodding project finished so that at least I would get paid for that and be able to pay the maire back, it was an expensive disaster one way and the other. Hence having no option but to break through the pain barrier of an AZERTY keyboard.
This was nearly 10 years ago and I’ve never been to Italy since and I don’t think I ever will.

2 Likes

Those guys are very good at what they do, but they must be completely lacking in empathy, not caring how much distress they cause.

Do you know what I cried over most? I had a small very old teddy bear called Richard who used to go everywhere with me. I was obviously hacked off about the laptop and phone and everything but I didn’t cry over it, then when I suddenly realised that Richard had gone too, I cried my eyes out.

2 Likes

Oh Anna, that is so hard.

1 Like

Awful, I completely sympathise :cry:

1 Like