Wood burning stoves

Does anyone know of a reliable place to buy a wood burning stove and have it fitted. We live in Dept 82 near Lauzerte

1 Like

Not sure but the people who designed our chimney definitely stated the dogleg was to stop rain falling directly into the burner. I wish I could remember who they were had a very instructive website.

I always thougt the dogleg was primarily to do with the effects of air & drafts etc ? Aren't doglegs obligatory in new chimney builds ? I thought it was something to do with the vagaries of the Venturi Effect ?

Only had one woodburner and that was when we built our place in the UK years ago must say loved it. It was suggested at the build time that the chimney flue had a kink in it ie a dogleg and be constructed of thermal material. The dogleg is supposedly to stop rain coming down if it is falling vertically. what I have noticed on the french woodburners I have seen advertsied is that one has to pay extra for a flue damper which I find odd. I would consider a flue damper as a neccessity to control the rate of heat going up out of the chimney.

Blimey, interesting stuff. The stones also act as kind of storage heaters ensuring heat radiated for a couple of hours after/if the fire goes out. Four months in and the chimney seems to be drawing pretty well.

I have friends over at I'le d'OlƩron who had a woodburner fitted in their new-build about three years ago and have had nowt but trouble with the 'draw'. My mate is obliged to clean the flue from the stove outlet to the ceiling weekly to unclog the tar etc. The wood is ok. They complained to the company who installed it ( a local builder) who says they will need either a side vent in the nearest outside wall and/or another brick added to the chimney to make the evacuation that much higher but they would need to pay for the privelege !!! They refuse to pay more as they feel thiss situation should have been sorted from the time of the installation

Peter I thought the soap stone was there for the same reason but obviously would also take in energy to heat the retaining blocks so slower to warm up but I was wrong. I spoke to a stove building company and another two since then and the soapstone linings are to increase the heat in the combustion chamber and also why the doors of the most efficient ones have double glazed doors.

That increase in temperature in the combustion area means the creosotes/resins in the timber are burnt increasing the heat output whilst not increasing the logs being used. This also means less tarring of the chimney provided the wood is dry.

Impressive John. I think my one is rated at 83% from memory. The soapstone top & sides were a good investment too as they retain the heat for a few hours longer.

I would say medium efficient at 81%

Now these are very efficient

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Walltherm-Stoves.html

http://www.burley.co.uk/wood_burnerdetail.php?cid=4&wid=51

But hats off to you for buying one of those awful french things, very inefficient circa 74%

Hi John

I had a woodburner fitted in july. I posted on SFN asking for advice and used the advice to find a reputable company to supply and fit the woodburner. I eventually settled for Brisach, a nationwide company offering a wide range of woodburners.

Here is the model opted for- the Scan Andersen 1000

The company re opened an existing flue, fitted an inner liner and fitted the woodburner. They also amended the chimney cowl as well as installing a ventilator in the nearest outside wall. I have to say the company were brilliant. They were punctual, efficient and friendly. The woodburner is great, very efficient and very effective. It works like a dream. I looked on their site and found you have a shop in Montauban in the ZI Nord. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Hi John

I've just come across a company offering this very service and will be posting about it / them asap. Watch this space..:)

Hi everyone,

Had a visit yesterday from Brisach Bordeaux. We are in the process of getting devis for a new woodburner since our old Invictor that has a cracked back-plate & amost certainly does not meet the regs today.

Reason for my post is that he recommended a 'Mansart Collection Hearthstone ā€œA model of rustic stove majestic in opulent aesthetic. Mansart is, as Long house, a masonry heater using the features of soapstone. This rock accumulates heat before the return after stopping the fire.ā€

I know Peter was very pleased with his contemporary one.

However, I havenā€™t managed to get much feedback on this particular woodburner (17.5kw & 7* Flamme Verte rating & wondered if anyone had much feedback on this stove or Brissach gernerally. The gentleman was quite keen to take a ā‚¬1000 deposit for a quicker delivery & did not have one to view in his showroom in Bordeaux.

Iā€™ve checked out ā€˜What Stoveā€™ & YouTube & thereā€™s little mention of Brissach or stone-heating woodburners.

Thanks,

Roger

Personally, I would be very wary of giving a deposit for something I had not seen and thoroughly investigated.

Perhaps Brisach Bordeaux can give you an address of a customer who already has one such fire in place.

Best of luck.

Thanks Stella. Now done a bit more research & found this on YouTube + other videos & it looks exactly like the one in their catalogue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ekkeQ4RwQ

They look good but are pretty expensive.

Wonder if anyone here has one? You canā€™t be a personal recommendation-thatā€™s why I approached Brisach after Peter Birdā€™s comments.

Hi Rogerā€¦ what a fascinating video youā€™ve found.

Iā€™ve experience of a friendā€™s Tulikivi stoveā€¦but all brands do seem to have the same ideaā€¦amazing heat retaining properties.

Be interesting to hear how you get onā€¦and letā€™s hope your stove is in place before the snows arrive.

Hi Stella,

Thank you for your reply.

Iā€™ve been in contact with a lady on Aquitaine Chat, a local FaceBook site, whose husband is a registered installer so we would get the Credit Dā€™Impot tax allowance if he supplied & fitted the new woodburner. Iā€™ve emailed her to seek his advice.

The Brisach Devis is ā‚¬500 more than the one for a Godin stove thoā€™ the Godin is 3* as opposed to the 7* Flamme Vert rating of the Mansart Collection Hearthstone. Hearthstone seem to be the US makers so I reckon Iā€™ll email them to see what I can discover.

I have a research based Masters & Doctorate in Psychotherapy (!) & I always like to know more & question the evidence-even with wood-burning stoves! :slight_smile:

Hi Roger

Well doneā€¦ by doing all this research you should end up with a top product !

Well Roger, some data for you to study: http://burley.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/How-it-Works-The-science-behind-the-stove.pdf
When I come indoors and itā€™s cold I want the fire to heat the room as quickly as possible, why waiting for soapstone to get up to radiating temperature is good i donā€™t understand? And it keeps warm longer which is great after youā€™ve retired to bed who cares, all could be seen as less efficient in terms of comfort.

2 Likes

Hi John

Your link is very interesting, fascinating in fact. I would only ask if the UK legal requirements etc are the same as those here in France.

Incidentally, I quite understand your comment about waiting for warmth. Friends with a Tullikivi normally light one small fire once the nights start drawing-in. That fire dies away and they only need to relight it every 3 or 4 days. In between fires, the actual stove stays hot enough to keep the whole house warm. As the weather turns colder, the fire is built bigger, but still only every few days.

The Tullikivi was in place when they bought their house, so it was not their choice. However, they love it and would not change.

Everyone has their preference. Myself, I love my woodburner and seeing the flamesā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Stella, I am not sure what legal requirements you are referring to, could you elaborate?
I agree the look of the Tullikivi is great, my friends have one but the ongoing discussion we have over it keeps warm for days vs yes but you have to put that heat into it first , If we get the warm days between the cold their lounge is uncomfortable. so more fuel is used to get it hot, that heat can be wasted if it turns warm again for a few days. Itā€™s the same argument as storage heaters, another product of last century that should now be left in the last century but the concept of heat when you need it, off when you donā€™t is tricky for some to understand.

Hi Johnā€¦

It was your link that got me wonderingā€¦ it mentions DEFRA and HETAS for UK but not for Europe/Worldwide.

What I have gleaned from the gov.fr website is that France does indeed have its own requirements. All Fires should conform to certain criteria ā€œnormesā€ .

Fitting of the equipment and auxiliaries also has its own set of ā€œnormesā€ which must be met.

I reckon that is fair enoughā€¦when one considers how destructive fire can be if not treated with respect.