WTF!? Just had this email from Mint Energie

We are watching. Our bill has gone up a little (Gascogne) but not a lot.

Hope you find a better solution💛

Still no email from Mint, so I looked on the website, and my tariff has already been évolué.
I am now following the advice of UFC:

…and am changing to the tarif réglementé of EDF.

2 Likes

Thought I’d revive this thread since it’s only been sleeping a few weeks.

Electricity requirements: do you pay a higher price for having a higher possible capacity? i.e. is a kWh more expensive if I have triphase and can draw up to 36kVA vs single phase and 12kVA, or is there an equipment rental that one pays instead?

We hope to own our house in Feb, and will naturally want to get leccy sorted. It will only be a holiday home, at least at first, but there will be some winter time spent there, and I don’t want to under-estimate what our max draw might be at such times, knowing that mostly we won’t need anything like that much.

I’m guessing single phase will be enough: double glazed, insulated roof, mix of electric and solid fuel (and oil - may not be functional) in a stone property around 150sqm. I’ve been tracking temperatures in Autun, and the weather is distressingly similar to Oxfordshire!

The abonnement is more expensive if you subscribe to a higher allowance.

I believe that single phase only allows up to 15kVA, but best to double check.

As well as the property size, one also has to consider the (maximum) potential use:
house full of guests say in the summer or Christmas period, electric oven, swimming pool pump, A/C unit(s) plus EV charging point.

Thanks Jane. That’s plain weird - so you don’t just pay for the electricity you use, but also for the electricity you could use.

I’m trying to find a table which shows the charges and how they work…

Ah, now THAT makes more sense. And I notice your live edit changed in front of me even as I was typing!

What do people do about partial occupation? I recall Linky and his problems with possible power theft - you just pay a high standing chanrge to allow for what will be used WHEN the house is occupied.

(Yes, I said something I couldn’t prove… so I wiped it)

can’t you lower the Linky ?? or was that something I heard “from the other side…” :rofl:

It would surely make sense to only increase during times of occupation and reduce back to bare bones for the rest of the year…

This needs more investigation.

1 Like

Thanks Stella - I shall investigate too, probably using that English-speaking email address above.

Only the standing charge/abonnement increases with capacity; kWH remains the same. See here…
https://particulier.edf.fr/content/dam/2-Actifs/Documents/Offres/Grille_prix_Tarif_Bleu.pdf

1 Like

Nowadays the maximum monophasé is 12kVA. There are historic 15 & 18kVA mono supplies around, but you can no longer request above 12kVA.

@Ancient_Mariner I might well be losing the plot, but have you already estimated what you will need in terms of Electrical supply… will you need more than 12kVA??

Our house was originally on 3kVA which was hopeless… even though we were only camping in one room in those early days…

We’ve had 9kVA for years now… and everything works fine.

1 Like

TBH I haven’t tried to do the figures for what we’ll use yet (not having access doesn’t help). There will be some guesstimation for max usage i.e. ballon, hob, room heaters, kettle etc all running at the same time. I’m also a little out of touch, tending to estimate draw in kW, and have never bothered with kVA until now. Hopefully my ignorance is soluble with 2min in Google.

Watch out for kettles. Some of them are over 3000W now.

Just add up the wattage of every appliance you could conveivably (or accidentally) have on, at once.

Kettles, irons, toasters, fullsize ovens tend to be 2000W or close which will rapidly add up.

We certainly find that even with 12kw we can trigger the mains off switch. Our downfall is always - cold day, 3 electric radiators on, lunchtime (heures creuses) so the cumulus has kicked in and then one of us decides to make a tea and use the toaster - fatal! And you can bet your bottom dollar that there’s that cry of anguish as the other one is doing something important on the computer when it all goes off.

1 Like

Unlike France and UK we only have one power company but do have the option of choosing green power. If it works similarly (not sure if it does) when you opt for green power they will source from suppliers that are green e.g. solar and wind and put money into creating additional green sources of power.

I think you would have fewer problems if you installed an UPS to keep your computer running for a few minutes (and then gracefully shutdown) if power hasn’t been restored. I’ve several UPS for important electronic equipment as my power often suffers multiple short failures (not of my doing)

1 Like

**[quote=“SuePJ, post:79, topic:37198, full:true”]
We certainly find that even with 12kw we can trigger the mains off switch. Our downfall is always - cold day, 3 electric radiators on, lunchtime (heures creuses) so the cumulus has kicked in and then one of us decides to make a tea and use the toaster - fatal! And you can bet your bottom dollar that there’s that cry of anguish as the other one is doing something important on the computer when it all goes off.
[/quote]

strong text**