WTF!? Just had this email from Mint Energie

We have 15kVA so presumably that is for new supply or else there is a bit of variation depending on length of loop from the transformer.

The Link gives an interesting comparison re having Mon and Tri-phase … and I note it also talks about why those in tri-phase might experience frequent power failure.

the link is from 2018 and figures have changed…
2021 limits are:
12kVa monophasé
35kVa triphasé

EDIT should read 36kVa triphasé … mea culpa…

1 Like

ENEDIS stoped allowing new (or increases to) above 12kVA monophasé some time ago. They, clearly, couldn’t take higher ratings away from those that already had it.

1 Like

Pedant here; it’s 36kVA maximum tri (3 x 60A).

1 Like

No, indeed not.

It’s a relatively low figure though, before the need for triphasé kicks in.

More than 10 electricity conpanies went bust in the UK in past 6 weeks or so. Customers money is safe although they get transferred under regulator scheme to another supplier and will be on new rate.

If company requests too high a direct debit the legislation means customers can challenge it and pay only what’s reasonable and people are doing this successfully.

Moneysavingexpert.com has been covering this. The site also has some excellent forums with things like winter heating and other moneysaving tips.

Yup UK pensioners on fixed incomes will be absolutely scr*wed if that happens.

The historical plan of UK govts seemed to be to inflate their way out of debt. It does end up devaluing the country’s currency too. My partner had the pleasure of living through the last round of that in France.

And when inflation comes, a massive part of it is the UK government hiking fees massively for every little government process, or service or tax, or inventing new types of tax, based on the fact that demand for these is inelastic (forced purchase). Most of those don’t appear into the official inflation basket measure.

you’re allowed to be a pedant… :rofl: if I’m allowed to get my fingers back to front and be somewhat scatty …
for some reason I originally put 356… and went back and changed it, without checking… mea culpa…

Can you explain to a newbie what Single Phase etc is? All a mystery to me!

Unaccustomed as I am - having signed up for my first French lekky a/c just last week - I do see this on my confirmation notice from Auntie Edie.

PUISSANCE SOUSCRITE 18 kVA.

The inspecting Enedis person said I could always come down to 15kVA if 18kVA was too much.

One of the jobs Enedis will do when they come round [23 Nov :tired_face:] is remove a section of 3-phase [the ballon heater I think] and make all mono.

Tory, my friends know me ask Mr. Discount O’Bargain. But there are times when scratching around for the cheapest deal becomes a pain in all depts and for peace of mind - in the case of EDF [Auntie Edie now, to me] and Orange [so help me] - sometimes the original is still the greatest.

The ‘3rd party’ providers of all sorts of services must be economising and short-cutting on aspects of the service in order to compete with the major players. The result can be as you have found with lekky when their figure go bad.

Same with internet.

I contacted a mob called Videofutur as the best bet of the newbies for my i/n service in Vire. Their whole website was a panegyric for their fibre service which they assured me I was eligable for. Indeed Calvados: Project Fibre shows my address as ‘fibré’. But it also states that the marketing of fibre in Vire has been halted until further notice.

Videofutur didn’t mention this until they sent me a Billy Doo thanking me for choosing them and, after the infrastructure work has been completed, their people would be on the case to wire me up.

Projected date for completion of works - 31st Dec!

As I haven’t actually signed a contract, I can go back to Orange and take an ADSL service till fibre goes live.

1 Like

You may well find you don’t need fibre @captainendeavour . My partner just has ADSL in house little town house and it’s waaaaaay faster than the fibre we had in Stroud!

1 Like

I dont get this idea of paying extra for “green” power. Like most of the large countries France has a grid network and every bit of generated power is fed into this from the little old lady with a couple of spare Kw from her solar panel to the largest nuclear station, the power all goes down the same bit of wire to our meter. It just is not possible to say you are only using “green” power.

You are right, as far as what is fed to your meter. I s’pose they maintain that you are subscribing to a provider which majors on ‘green’ sources of energy. Mint, for example, would say they trump Total as more green.

Well, that would be fab. But maybe they will replace ADSL with fibre, like it or not. I guess it will go that way, eventually. But then, I have been told that it’ll all go G5/G6 etc in the end, anyway. No need for ‘labori in corso’, or ‘ummeliding’ for a bloke opening an umbrella.

Well after a few days outside a 4g capture zone a brief moment to catch up. I’ve stuck with EDF and Orange (aka France Télécom) despite the nagging doubt that I’m throwing Francs out the window.

Direct Énergie couldn’t convince me. It reminded me of being sold an endowment policy in the late 80s. The downside will never happen! After poring over their numbers and resisting the telesales person ‘I’ll walk you through the signature process and then you can still change your mind but why would you?’ patter. There in lies the problem. They are just resellers of the lecky produced by EDF. Now I vaguely recall they had to separate the generating part from the selling part. I think it’s called réseau EDF or something. This after taking the longest time possible to comply with European requirements to de regulate (sounds familiar?). Bizarrely yes as whilst France Télécom also took the maximum time to deregulate, successfully placing Orange into the UK market, Vodafone were blocked as being too dominant eventually giving up the brand in France. In the meantime the mobile phone resellers eventually got so fed up with France Télécom favouring Orange bit by bit they constructed their own hardware.

Turned into a bit of a rant. To sumup I stayed with EDF and Orange better the devil you know!

2 Likes

Of course. But by subscribing to a “green deal” you are telling the electricity company, and the government, that this is important to you. Even to the extent of paying a centime or so extra for this.

2 Likes

Funny, I’m not getting any of these emails from Mint!

Maybe you were/are on a different plan?

That is a worry if you aren’t getting the info. Although perhaps you’re on a different plan as John said. Maybe look on the website.