Yes or No - Carte de Sejour website in English

It’s a volunteer group of people…how is that official advice?? Do you think Johnson ask for their agreement before he makes draconian changes at whim?

From the meeting on Wednesday:

the online sites will be updated after 31/01/2020. All applications are to be made online and folk will be called to the Prefecture for finger prints/photos. Then the appropriate CdS will b e sent by post.

those who have already applied will be dealt with asap after 31/01/2020

That really shows a complete ignorance of what RIFT have achieved and how they offer advice and support. For people who are concerned it’s worth investing a bit of time reading their site. It’s just constructive advice not an order, people can follow that advice or not. My reply to Tim was a polite way of saying, ‘the information you are after is easy to find on the Internet, go find it yourself!’
Stella’s post has explained exactly why the French system appears to be stalled at the moment and what will happen in the near future.

As I said, the RIFT site is good and I completely acknowledge what they have achieved. But my very, very simple point is that they are not an official site, so anything can and might change despite what they say. If we look back over last years a lot has changed, and we have yet to get to a definite and fixed position. Therefore I would not rely on information currently available.

I think you have missed the point, Jane.

Teresa’s situation is as spouse of an EU national. That will not change because of Brexit, so RiFT and many other sites can give completely reliable, official advice.

There’s no need to wait, and my post was to rrassure her of that.

The question is of course, if you are technically entitled to more than one type of CdS, is it your choice to make? If the prefecture/OFII/ministry or whoever is going to process the masses of applications, can see from the application that you are in fact a BrexitBrit, would they process your application for a spouse visa during transition, given that the spouse visa is for non-EU spouses and BrexitBrits are supposed to be treated as EU citizens for the duration of transition?

More generally, if I were the spouse of an EU national I would still prefer to get my own CdS if I was eligible for it, even if I was sure my marriage was rock solid.

Yes, I believe it is, but hey, don’t listen to me. If you are the spouse of an EU national go ask your mairie/prefecture.

Your call, but there’s no need as EU FOM Directive 2004/38/EC shows. After one year of residence a non-EU spouse still retains right of residence - see Directive - 2004/38 - EN - EUR-Lex

Again RiFT is an excellent source of information.

We have been told that where marriage is used to give a “right”… that marriage will be checked out… to make sure it is real :relaxed: :relaxed: but probably only in cases where folk are not known to local bureaucracy

Really, even if the marriage ends?
I ask, because I knew an American who had to return to the US after he and his loopy French wife divorced.
(I did look at the link but it’s very long and wI didn’t find the relevant bit!)

(15)
Family members should be legally safeguarded in the event of the death of the Union citizen, divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of a registered partnership. With due regard for family life and human dignity, and in certain conditions to guard against abuse, measures should therefore be taken to ensure that in such circumstances family members already residing within the territory of the host Member State retain their right of residence exclusively on a personal basis.

I’m no lawyer and I understand the variable nature of these laws and most importantly their application, but basically, yes.

1 Like

It is the word “official” that I find difficult. To me this generally refers to a public authority, and sometimes to other public bodies. RIFT, however good they are, are not one of them. So to misrepresent them as such gives them an authority they do not have.

That was my understanding too Anna.