Yorkshire Pudding (with slight drift)

bonjour les tous
just found out I should use PLAIN not SR flour for Y.P.
SVP what’s the French equivalent for plain flour (not Y.P!)
merci bien

I think T45 is normal plain flour.

Flour Types Link

1 Like

yes T45. SR is actually not as easy as else where to get hold of, it is usually farine de gateau or similar. I did read years ago that it isn’t as strong as UK / Oz stuff and better to add your own baking powder to plain flour and make your own.

3 Likes

I agree with the previous two posters! The default flour here is plain so if it doesn’t say “avec levure” on the packet you are probably fine. As Tory said, just keeping plain flour and adding baking powder when needed is the recommended way forward (and saves having to have 2 sorts of flour on the go… :smiley: )

2 Likes

I used to be able to make YP but was never very careful about the proportions of flour etc. I started to have problems with it not rising up, and being soggy or a thin crisp so I daren’t even make it. I now use a failsafe recipe : measure the volume of eggs in ml, then add the same volume of plain flour, and the same of milk.

3 Likes

That’s most interesting @fleur - thank you for that!

2 Likes

I hope it works for you too! And I always heat the oiled tin in a hot oven before pouring in…

1 Like

Ah yes - I usually (well … sometimes) remember to do that :smiley:

The flour we have in France is not as strong as that in UK and, therefore, does not take as much liquid.

I would use T55 for Yorkshire pudding but T45 for cakes. The tin has to be practically red hot and smoking when you pour the batter in, I use duck fat as I usually have some to hand. We love YP and toad in the hole :heart:

Oh just thought, you might like On Va Déguster which is François-Regis Gaudry’s food programme on France Inter, it is on on Sunday mornings but you can get it any time online on their website.

2 Likes

I am trying this right now so no pressure @Fleur! For the volume needed I hade to go with 2 eggs.

Perfect!

@Fleur Well I have to say I am impressed:

Served with Lidl Chipolatas with Herbs and baked beans to make my version of the French classic Toad in the Hole!

(the sausages & Yorkshires cooked separately so less greasy - so perhaps more Toad & the Hole rather than Toad in the Hole - but very good indeed).

7 Likes

They look fabulous. I’m getting hungry!

Yes Yorkshire pudding “strong flour” ie breadmaking flour, is best.

As @Jane_Williamson says, somehow the standard cake flours (T45) in France seem to be “weaker” than in the UK. I’m still working out the differences.

We have very good locally milled flours available in Leclerc here for breads (think it’s T110 but some is T65). If a recipe says 370ml water I am adding up to 520ml depending on the weather and it’s perfect. The altitude here may make a difference. I think everyone has to experiment with what flours are available locally. I love the ready availability of sarrasin here - much harder to find in UK.

Lidl in UK used to do frozen packs of about 8 small Yorkshire puddings in the UK and these were smashing. Reheated in about 30 seconds in the microwave or about 5min in the oven no messy dangerous hot fat.

They look fab :sunglasses:

Oh dear, you are not from Yorkshire then. Do you make your Yorkshire’s like this?

or like this?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fkeyassets-p2.timeincuk.net%2Fwp%2Fprod%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F63%2F2019%2F01%2FHairy-Bikers-Yorkshire-pudding-recipe.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodto.com%2Frecipes%2Fhairy-bikers-yorkshire-pudding&tbnid=aAsXS5yfAWbjuM&vet=12ahUKEwii4bCO39ryAhWs5OAKHe7ABnQQMygLegUIARCFAg..i&docid=qbV960oBR-bYuM&w=1228&h=808&q=yorkshire%20pudding&ved=2ahUKEwii4bCO39ryAhWs5OAKHe7ABnQQMygLegUIARCFAg

The former is the traditional Yorkshire way, served before the main course with onion gravy and freshly made Coleman’s Mustard. The purpose was to fill up those empty stomachs in advance of he expensive meat.

Hello, here in France, flour will almost always have « raising agent added « written on the bag or box. If it is self raising. Levier déjà ajouté or something like that.

It doesn’t really matter what flour you use for Yorkshire pudding. Just make sure that the batter is not too cold, and the fat in your baking tin is very hot when you put the puddings in a very hot oven.

:joy: lever already added :joy:

“Poudre à lever incorporée” or also “avec poudre à lever/ levure chimique”

I heard a wretched woman talking about préservatifs (in the jam etc aisle) to a bemused shop assistant in Inter. I’m afraid I sniggered to myself and scuttled away.

5 Likes

Why was she a wretched woman? If she was English, she was using the correct word. Préserve conserve literally means the same in English.

We can’t all be perfect ! She obviously didn’t know she was referring to Durex! We all learn by our mistakes when speaking another language.