Your choice

He said five hours east of Toulouse. So now I need a map

Oh I missed that bit :rofl: :rofl: I used to live 45 minutes east of Toulouse hence my interest :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oow. Where. It takes me 45 minutes to get to Toulouse Iā€™m east and a bit north

Our first home was in a tiny village called Montauriol, near Salle sur Lā€™hers, about 40 minutes east of Toulouse. Our 2nd was a littl evillage 1/2 way between Mirepoix and Castelā€™

Montauriol looks so pretty!! How lovely it must have been. A bit further south than me in the tarn.

I havenā€™t moved since we bought this house in 2012. Itā€™s not my favourite august activity so all my respect for at least three moves

It really was! We went and visited the lovely family who bought it from us a couple of years ago and was soooo nice to see it finished and lovely! We got married in the church (our house was opposite), reception in the salle de fete (3 days!), photos in / around the chateau. Awwwww!

2 Likes

A french dream. Wonderful.

1 Like

Oh no David, the RN7 is alive and well and still runs all the way to Italy. Itā€™s Franceā€™s Route 66, only much better :slightly_smiling_face: Like Route 66 you have to deviate from the main road every now and then to follow the old route. Iā€™ve driven it a few times now (in the Morgan of course) and itā€™s now celebrated as the historical Blue Route.

Two good books on the RN7 are GRN Minchinā€™s N7, written to win a bet with Henry Royce who lived in Rayol Canadel

s-l300

and

I enjoy exploring the old hotels, watering spots and inter war hotspots along the RN7, and further afield . For example the Hotel Belvedere in Rayon Vert, once a vibrant, exciting border town. It was built shaped like a ship and had tennis courts on the roof. There are many other long eclipsed ā€œhot spotsā€ along the Med coast that satisfy the Evelyn Waugh and Nancy Mitford in me.

3W1A7495

Such is retirement :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t choose a nicer person to be stalked byā€¦

d1b23f9418da7290eb43c715b54f8edc

:slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™m near here --------------I

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and here was I thinking that ā€˜east of Toulouseā€™ meant near where I used to live (45 minutes east of Toulouse) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Hotel Belvedere, now that brings back memories. :sunglasses:, the last time I passed it they were turning it into flats, I saw pictures of some of them and they were stunning.

1 Like

Of course it does, how memories betray us with age, I should have known better having traveled it many times along the Rhone Valley twinning the A7 as it does. There are, or were only a few years ago, still many good routier restos along that stretch and French drivers who know divert to use them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thereā€™s the song as well - everyone loves the N7, it is the one I took with my parents all my childhood, going home from the UK :heart: