Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 and on TV binge)

I never watched 7 Up or any of the follow-up episodes, but I saw that it concluded with 70 Up on UK ITV this evening. So, tonight, the missus and I started watching the first two episodes on YouTube (link).

I’m looking forward to seeing how their lives turned out, whether the Cockney kid made it as a horse jockey, whether one of the girls ended up working in Woolies, if they’re happy, etc…

I’m glad we can binge watch them over a few nights though… I don’t have the patience to wait 63 years!

1 Like

Excellent in Dr Foster a few years ago.

It is totally(tonally) different, I enjoyed all the Reacher seasons(some more than others) but I have also read all of the books.

Yes, I’m two episodes in and it’s a much more straightforward crime drama without anyone (so far) beating off an entire battalion of enemies with one hand tied behind their back and sustaining enough injuries to finish them off twice over but from which they are recovered within a day.

Edit: OK Episode 3 is getting a bit weird/implausible.

1 Like

Series 5 has started production. Can’t wait for that one

2 Likes

Agree far too many tv/film productions go way ott in fight scenes.
For many works, some suspension of belief is acceptable but some just go too far.
The martial arts expert who never trains, but drinks and smokes; who retains instant response and foretells every move by unknown opponents just turns me off.
It is akin to “magic”. Mere violent fairy tales.

Just watched the first series of “This City is Ours” very gritty and very well made. Characters are really believable and it’s rather thought provoking and at times makes one wonder what does actually happen regarding drug running.

Unusual Denzel Washington film, when he was IMO reaching his ‘mature Denzel’ films, (which I think are his best films) in that (1) the film involves a four-day time warp and (2) the film is spoiled by short periods of missing audio, which is why I think the film is free to watch on YouTube.

There were sections where I think his voice was dubbed back where lip reading was possible. And other sections which I think were adlibbed. I enjoyed trying to keep up with the film with its missing audio - there was enough there for me to piece the film together because I enjoy his more-mature-Denzel-films. You need to be a DW fan to see this film through to the end!

The YouTube film is titled ‘4 Minutes Behind Time’ but I think its original title was ‘Déjà Vu’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkBqzn0YhdQ&t=25s

We watched the Oscar winning Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri last night. Great film, powerful stuff, but not for those who dislike swearing!

1 Like

I liked it too, but wasn’t the swearing in a foreign language which made it somehow more acceptable? :thinking:

No, David. Although I suppose American English is a little bit foreign :thinking:

I am a pedant who picks up on such things almost as soon as I read them. Fair enough Americans speaking their own version but I get irritated by French people doing it (but they know no better) but get near apoplectic when English people do who obviously think it is English. :rofl:

As far as this American made and based film is concerned I just comprehend the same as I would do with a French language one. :joy:

Has anyone seen Sam & Ade Go Birding. We’ve just finished watching the 3 episodes in Series 1. It’s a lovely series and we’re very much looking forward to Series 1.

@David_Spardo - they’ve got some bird hides in the series but I doubt they’re as good as yours :rofl: :pink_heart:

I read an article about that. Who’s streaming it please, Rachel.

Not sure - we got it from You Tube but got this from AI :pink_heart:

Yes, full episodes and clips of Sam & Ade Go Birding are available on YouTube via the official Channel 5 playlist, though the primary place to stream the series in full is on Channel 5 (My5). [1, 2]

1 Like

Found it on YT @Rachel05 I’ll try and find time to watch tomorrow. :wink:

The Blame" on ITV X is an entertaining mini series about police investigations. At the beginning and end of the penultimate episode there is a rather disturbing message regarding the language used.

Started binge watching the latest series of Lioness last night (from the Taylor Sheridan stable). First episode is pretty full on (Ukraine war) and graphic, but its settled down a bit. Starring the eminently watchable Zoe Saldana.

1 Like

Oooohhhh…! Wanna see a mystery/horror movie? Stars Sydney Sweeney, who also co-produced.

"Wow” was my word at the end of this horror film, ‘The Substance’. Be prepared for plain nudity and gore, male crudity (Dennis Quaid), beautiful scantily dressed young women (Margaret Qualley), and an actress’s fear of growing old (Demi Moore). Then major bodily disfigurement, and more gore.

When the film ended, I was sure it had been directed by a woman, and it was. Coralie Fargeat, a French director, also wrote it - its concept was hers. I watched it last night on BBC iPlayer, and again today. I don’t think you’ll have seen a horror film as rightfully outrageous as this one. And amusing, made me laugh now and again!

2 Likes