Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 TV binge)

Might be worth a look. Starts tonight on BBC4

We were late to the party watching this but we’ve just finished This Is Going To Hurt.

I didn’t really get on with the book but loved the series. Only 6 episodes too so it’s an easy one to binge.

2 Likes

I have spent the last year raving to anyone who will listen about Hacks. It’s basically a story about a Vegas comedienne (think Joan Rivers) whose career is starting to tail off, her decades long residency in a Vegas hotel is cancelled and she’s considered ‘old news’. Her agent puts her with an early 20s millennial comedy writer they also have on their books who has just disgraced herself so is also down on her luck, the idea being that she can make the comedienne relevant to a new audience.

The lead is the amazing veteran actress Jean Smart who was not really a household name until now despite having a long successful career and stealing the show in everything she’s in, and Hannah Einbinder who although a relative newcomer has two great comedy writing parents, both I think having been in the cast of Saturday Night Live when it was in its prime. It’s not exactly a hard hitting show that makes you reassess your entire life, but it is incredibly well acted and is such an amazing warm show. Season 2 has just finished and season 3 has been commissioned.

2 Likes

Great, but it’s on HBO, so recommend away, but I’m never going to see it. One of the huge problems these days is that there are too many film platforms and a recommendation can be made that no-one else is going to watch.
We have Netflix and even then I can read reviews and think I’d like to watch that but they are no available on Netflix in France or they only have French subtitles. As we age we need subtitles in English in order to understand what the actors are muttering.
One show I would love to see is Mare of Easttown as I find Kate Winslet more and more interesting as an actress as she ages. But it’s on Hulu, so that’s out.

1 Like

Not that this is any good as you say, but Mare of Easttown is the other show Jean Smart has been getting rave reviews for, playing Kate’s mother. She really is having a moment, very well deserved. Hacks is on other services too, just not Netflix as you say, I think it’s on Amazon Prime and a couple of the others.

1 Like

@Gareth have you got the series on your NAS?

Hi. Yes, let me upload it for you and I’ll send you the link.

Cheers

1 Like

Started watching this tonight - 2 episodes in and enjoying it so far.

2 Likes

This looks great! What is the HBO subscription you have here in France?

This is next up on our To Watch list:

Fine if you have Apple. Not much good for those of us with Netflix or Prime. It’s so frustrating the way the entertainment world is fragmenting. For example, I’d like to watch Mare of Easttown but it’s on HBO.

Mare of Easttown , you can watch it here… Watch Mare of Easttown full HD on SFlix Free

What is SFlix?
Just looked them up - nothing in this life is free, so how are they offering free movies and no advertising? Not sure I like the sound of them. :frowning_face:

Just watched Prey, the latest in the Predator film series. To be honest I found it extremely boring compared to first three films, time to end the films I think. Also found Astra AD extremely boring too even with Brad Pitt who usually makes good films.

I agree. Purely driven by greed. Yet it just encourages people to pirate content. They should look at the music industry… the same content across different platforms (Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Apple, Amazon, Google, etc…). People choose their preferred platform for other reasons than exclusive content, and piracy has shrunk massively over the years.

1 Like

I’m a bit late to this so read the whole thread and am a bit ashamed to admit I’ve seen almost everything mentioned except the ones with lots of drugs or lots of blood :no_mouth:

Lately, I am sticking with upbeat mood enhancing entertainment and can thoroughly recommend to all the following:

“Young Sheldon”

Available on AppleTV and Amazon Prime using a VPN (set to UK server)

“The Laundromat” on Netflix

I would watch la Streep doing laundry

Then, there are the Nordic productions without the noire for a geographical trip without anxiety:

“Lilyhammer” on Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/70221438?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=80145007

And, all the Lasse Âberg series, starting with this one:

“Snowroller” on Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/81382187?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=81389799

All4 UK:

‘A Very Scandi Scandal’ (Swedish)

‘Seaside Hotel’

Both heartwarming

Don’t quite know what to say about this forthcoming TV series – will anyone be watching it…?

Sounds dreadful. As if we are not suffering enough. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Looks like one of those ‘reality’ TV competition series. What they never are is reality, being totally manipulated for viewer enjoyment. I prefer my entertainment to be honest fiction, so not for me.

On the other hand… Perhaps this will be as good as any to find a new PM by Christmas :partying_face:

1 Like

Think I’d prefer watching old episodes of ‘Yes Prime Minister’…

2 Likes