Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 TV binge)

I know it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but the new Jeremy Clarkson’s programme about his farm on Prime is very entertaining. I haven’t heard OH laugh out loud so much at a TV programme in years.

It works because Jeremy is willing to make an absolute prat of himself. It is very informative - he’s going up this huge learning curve having started all this just before COVID and he’s found some highly competent people to help him including the just wonderful Kaleb.

If you can accept Jeremy’s style of presenting, plus heaps of swearing it is well worth watching.

2 Likes

Amazon Prime enables you (with an extra fee) to access programmes on OCS. For example Mare Of Easttown and True Detective (both excellent).

In France?

We watched the first one just to try it and also loved it! He can be such a twat sometimes but some really lovely moments where he was genuinely upset having to deal with some of the tougher sides of farming! I enjoyed it so much we ended up binge watching it!

1 Like

Yes Sue Jarvis, Amazon Prime Video in France.

Thanks Jim, we have Amazon Prime in France, it was just that French Prime is not the same as UK and the selections are different.

Yes, there are differences but there’s still plenty of good stuff.

1 Like

Just checking Jim, one of our frustrations with Prime is that they are increasingly not providing English subtitles. Unfortunately as we age we need the subtitles in our own language in order to understand what’s being said. Are programmes like Mare of Easttown and True Detective provided in English with English subtitles?

1 Like

Baptiste series 2. First series was good so hope the new one is too. Starts tonight,

2 Likes

@ChrisK Watched the first episode of the final series of Baptiste and were not disappointed.

Following a recommendation earlier up topic, we watched The Night Manager series (all 6 episodes 2 x CD) and agree with the view expressed that it is really brilliant.
Gripping stuff.

2 Likes

Cyber thriller anyone?

3 Likes

I caught the first episode tonight. Am downloading the rest so can binge watch them this weekend.

After only one episode I’m still on the fence about this. My opinion may be biased, however, because I work in the infosec industry - including many years within critical national infrastructure - so the suspension of disbelief is tricky (a grad on work experience… getting DV clearance… going to GCHQ… and finding “a virus inside a virus” :person_facepalming:).

I read that the director spent 3 years researching vulnerabilities, cyber attacks, infrastructure, etc… It shows in some places, e.g. some of the screenshots did show genuine exploits (against a SonicWall VPN :nerd_face:), but then in others I was cringing at what they were saying.

Also some of the stereotypes were a bit full on. Not all geeks play chess and have no social skills or ability to communicate with other people :frowning:

If I take my hacker hat off, I’m not sure how interesting it is for the average Joe. It was all a bit slow in places and lacking any depth… It’s definitely no 24 or Spooks. Nor is it Mr Robot.

I’ll watch the rest but possibly not one that’ll stay on my NAS very long afterwards.

I’ve downloaded the first episode from YT link here so will watch this one and look forward to the rest.

IN EDIT: Sorry, it’s unwatchable from this link on YT :angry:

Let me know if you get hooked and want the others :slightly_smiling_face:

Will do Gareth… it might be more useful than waiting for the YT channel to post them up. I can download them to my Synology NAS to watch on the TV.

1 Like

I wasn’t able to watch this episode from the link on YT
It does pee me off when people do that on YT :roll_eyes:
@Gareth How would you be able to let me have a copy of S1E1 to view?

It’s a bit late tonight and I’ve been enjoying some wine but tomorrow I’ll upload episode 1 to my Mega account and share the link with you. It’s 750 MB per episode so let’s see how you get on with the first one. Cheers

1 Like

Thanks… pm me with the link if you prefer…

Thanks to @Gareth I’ve now been able to download the undeclared war and have found it quite gripping as a “bearded tech nerd” as described in the The New Statesman write up :bearded_person::face_with_monocle:
Well worth a watch.

3 Likes

Even the not particularly techie me enjoyed it. I’ll certainly record the rest.

1 Like