Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 TV binge)

And the chocolatière in Nèrac which the story is based on is worth a detour…

There are 2 Chocolaterie in Nerac, do you know which one it is?

La cigale, down a back street out of the centre as I recall.

1 Like

I’ll have a look! Thanks!

I’m pretty sure I have 2 copies of the lollipop shoes, I’m more than happy to lend you one of them - let me know if you are going to be in Bergerac and we can do a John-Le-Carré-style handover :grin:

1 Like

Lovely! Thank you!

Have to say I loved the book ( Chocolat ) as well and the film is not a bad adaptation.The main difference ( I suspect not to upset too many people !) is changing the main opposer from priest to mayor.

1 Like

Just about to start watching Series 2 of Line of Duty on Blu-ray.

If Spiral did not exist, one might say LoD is the #1 cop show of recent years. But the scope of Spiral scripts - the cases, the judicial politicing, the personal lives of the characters - is unbeatable.

It was hats off to the scriptwriters at the minute but amusing moment when M. Le Juge Roban, a stickler for precision, is called in to see the doctor by a nurse who calls out, “M. Robin!” “Errr… Roban, s’il vous plaît - Roban”.

1 Like

Sticking to the theme of food, the wonderful Chinese film, “Eat, Drink, Man, Woman.” Superb. Dreadful gloopy US trailer commentary Eat Drink Man Woman Official Trailer #1 - Sihung Lung Movie (1994) HD - YouTube.

A great book which was turned into a film that did it justice, “The Leopard”. Directed by Visconti, from the novel by Guiseppi di Lampedusa.

An even gloopier trailer in the best traditions of hyperbolic US trailers. The Leopard (1963) ORIGINAL TRAILER [HD] - YouTube

It may seem very odd that Burt Lancaster plays the artistocratic Don Fabrizio, Prince of Salina, but it works. He had doubts about accepting the part because “the novel was so perfect as a novel”

Alain Delon, Claudia Cardinale, eye candy for both sexes …

This is an epic - 185 minutes. The setting is Sicily in the 1860’s, Garibaldi’s uprising and defeat of the Bourbon, Francis II of the Two Sicilies. Don Fabrizio watches, calmly and sadly, as his world is swept away.

Foodie sidebar. In the novel, 4 meals are described in detail. The late Antonio Carluccio, in a programme on Sicily, cooked all four. One of them is an extremely complicated, technically difficult pasta ‘stew’ which takes all day to prepare. The other 3 are well within the capabilities of most people.

Very handily, one is a starter, one a main and one a ‘postre’. Followed by lashings of Marsala, naturally.

I have a notion to prepare this meal one day on condition that all present will have recently read the book.

1 Like

I’ve looked at getting the series on Blu-ray but not certain. The series on BBC is subtitled (and we can’t get BBC iPlayer as no VPN service) but watching the whole thing in French, we might miss some of the important nuances. AmazonFR suggests French but not multi langue or English subtitles sadly :disappointed:
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00NVYV33K?ref=em_1p_1_im&ref_=pe_6117861_560703691

I happen to have series 1-4 on DVD, with subtitles. But not BluRay. Happy to send them if you send back in due course…

1 Like

I’ve just started watching American Horror Story, its very, very good (if you like slasher stuff) :scream:

I think we watched 1-4 on TV but encouraging that there are subtitles… no reason why the Blu-ray should be different really… just fewer disks. Might just make a punt on Series 5 for 25€ :thinking:

On Ebay.co.uk

Series 1-8 Blu Ray! New. 130€ inc p n p from Paris.

Series 1-8 DVD New £61.39 + £8.99 P n P ex UK
This item is due to be released on the 08/02/2021 Orders placed before this date will be dispatched before release date for delivery on the release date.

Series 1-7 Blu Ray New. 68.99€ inc p n p from Paris
Series 1-6 New. DVD £40.44 postage to FR £2! eBay item number: 353081081915

A few DVD S8’s appearing +/- £25.

Blu Ray is a superior quality format, no question, but I find that certain content does not benefit from or show off that superiority to make the price mark-up from DVD worthwhile. Engrenages is one of them. It’s gritty in every way, including visually. No point shooting news footage in 8K.

Mine are the BBC DVDs…

ah! oh well

“In Time”
Makes you think about a lot of things, I highly recommend it!

Watching this family has kept me quiet (according to OH) :wink:

We enjoyed the previous series. New one just started,

3 Likes