Your film or TV series recomendations (2021 TV binge)

Except I can’t see her as anything but Ruth in Spooks!

Am I the only person who’s never watched Spooks…

We only started last March with the confinement…up to series 8 now.

Nope, never seen Game of thrones either it just never appealed for some reason.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen Spooks either, but I know what she is/was like, since she never ever plays anything except exactly the same character - I really don’t see what her appeal is to directors.

1 Like

We have just finished watching Spooks, during the first lockdown we started Series 1, Episode 1 - and finished Series 10, Episode 6 last week.

3 Likes

Sorry but they are Netflix. The Turkish series Black Money Love must hold the record for perseverance. 164 episodes but well worth it. Lots of twists and turns and makes you long to visit Istanbul. Film , The Coldest Game.

Just finished Engrenages 8 (Spiral). Excellent as ever. I think “the Night Manager” will be next.

2 Likes

If you are into SF, I can recommend Expanse on (edited) Amazon. Five seasons so far and a 6th on the way. Not just point and shoot, but well-drawn, well-rounded characters and complex story lines. The CGI animations are absolutely stunning.

2 Likes

I’ll second Sue’s recommendation, based on the books by James S. Corey depicting a “Belter” community with more than a passing resemblance to that of Larry Niven’s Known Space.

Definitely worth a watch if you are into Sci Fi.

Announced on BBC last night… the next series (6) of Line of Duty will start on 21 March.

3 Likes

Just a shame we are not allowed to watch it in France apparently!

1 Like

Its on BB1 free to air AFAIK

The problem these days with lists like this is that so many of the recommendations are not on what an oldie like me would consider “mainstream” TV. Brief glance, looks like only two are - BBC and Channel 4. And the rest are spread amongst various streaming services, so it isn’t even easy these days to plump for one streaming service. And even furthermore, the streaming services have local constraints, so what one can watch in the UK on Netflix or Prime might not be there at all in France or might be only dubbed in French or only have French subtitles (for most of the programmes these days we need English subtitles on for the English [!] because everyone mumbles).
So we have Netflix AND Prime, plus all the main channels, but feel increasingly deprived of quality TV because it is spread so thinly.

1 Like

American Gods is certainly weird but I’m determined to stay with it. The latest episode is worth a watch if only for Leonard Cohen’s thought-provoking classic You Want it Darker, which is featured full-length at the end of the episode and into the closing titles.

2 Likes

Do stay with it and report :grin: I loved the book but haven’t watched the series for fear of disappointment.

Will do. The series is a feast of special effects and it’s difficult to see how these would have been handled in the book. Really must read it.

2 Likes

There are no spoilers in this article…