Your photos - people pics

I think the people learn from it but all the corporations learn is how to further exploit the people and the planet…

I liked your photo Jane not because of the dead lepeord but because it’s a historical document…

I’m empathising with the Brazilians right now as their national museum has just experienced a horrendous fire…an incalculable loss…

2 Likes

I knew a Lady well, a few years ago, who was liberated from Belsen, as a baby, She was adopted (eventually) by the RAF officer and His Wife, who was one of Her liberators.

I agree the leopard is upsetting, fabulous picture, but yes it is a part of history, and it’s good to have pictures to witness the past. But aren’t you upset with my grand dad sitting with a shell close to him ? I’m finding that upsetting too, even he’s just a very young humain.

4 Likes

No I don’t find that picture of your grandfather with the shell upsetting. Some.could.perceive it as humorous. I have seen graphic images of WW1 and they are very upsetting. Not this one though and I hope he went on to live a great life.

Isn’t it amazing how all women had small waists those days. How did they do it? No wine I suppose? By the look of the pic, must’ve been in the 40’s?? So not much food either. Your Dad is the image of my Uncle Charles, married to my mom’s sister.

2 Likes

Not really went on to a great life. He lost two of his brothers, and in 1922, he’s been sent to the Syrian war. If it was not enought of war, WW2 started with 2 kids, 8 and 5 years old (my dad was born in 1931) and my grand mother was pregnant with the third one. They were living in la Marne, east of France, not the best place to be. At one stage they had to abandon their house and all the contents (not a lot, but all they had), a small exodus. My Dad is 87 now, he still cryes sometimes about the horrors he witnessed. So I don’t perceive anything related to war as humorous myself.

3 Likes

My great grandmother had 14 babies in 20 years. Two of her sons married two sisters ( one set being my grandparents). I’ve seen a picture of her at the other sets wedding and her waist was tiny

I’m bringing sexy back
Them other zombies don’t know how to act…

Hi Jennifer, the photo was taken in 1950. They were married in 1951.
Mum, like many of her generation started work at 14 years old. Times were still hard and her mother had to take in lodgers to keep things going. A tiny terraced house with 2 bedrooms and a boxroom shared between 4 adults and 4 children. Not easy with no inside wc and no bathroom either ! A bath was later installed in the kitchen. It had wooden covers so that during the week it could be used as a kitchen work surface. On Sundays the covers would come off and it was bath night!
Maybe your Uncle Charles and my dad were related ( even distantly ) as people moved around to try and find a better life.
Will have to dig out more photos !

Too right Babeth, there is nothing at all humorous about war and it’s consequences. What’s tragic is that wars will never end, too much money to be had by the powers that be :rage::cry:

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Very interesting. How amazing we have such similar backgrounds. Even though were worlds apart. I was born and raised in South Africa. Were you born in the UK? My parents were also married in 1951. I was born in 1952. For 5 years we all lived my maternal grandmother in Cape Town. By all, I mean, my family of parents and 3 kids, my aunt and uncle and their 3 kids, and my 2 cousins from another aunt, who remarried, and left the two boys for my granny to raise (disgusting) and then went on to have another 3 kids! Just as well, my granny ran a big boarding house for years, about 12 rooms (only way, to make some money), which meant we all had a room. But 1 room was for one whole family. We did have a bathroom with bath, however, but for all the boarders and family to share. We did have an outside loo, but also one inside. Was a nightmare, had to use newspaper for toilet paper. And boy, did you have to wait. Well, my granny injured her legs, many years before, so could not walk. She had to do breakfast and dinner for the boarders plus sandwiches for lunch - And all of us as well. She used to sit at the kitchen table and peel all veg and prepare, but it was left to my mom and my auntie to do the cooking, cleaning, everything. But we survived. My mom also had to start work at 14. I could not believe this when first I heard it. She was a millener for 7 years (hat making) She did this until I was born 1952. Still had to go home and do her chores in the boarding house. Wow, what a hard life. She’s 87 now. She made my sister and I some fantastic hats when it was fashionable in the 60’s. As well as wedding hats for people.

I don’t think Charles could be remotely related to your Dad. He was a real Afrikaner, and a boor. He was my aunt’s second husband. We moved to Durban in 1959. My dad could not get a job in the Cape. Worked out well, we lived there ever after. My aunt (the nice one who did not dump the 2 kids with granny) left her husband also ( a cad), moved to us in Durban the 70’s with her 3 kids, and met Charles. They had a baby. We all hated him. (Not the baby haha) He cheated on her and she left him also. He is long deceased. We all ended up in Durban SA. After my gran died in 1964, the two cousins came to stay with us. Thereafter, THEIR mother also came with her other 3 children and next husband - the boys would forever have nothing to do with their Mother. Well I don’t blame them. What a family saga hey. I had lots old photo’s my mom gave me, but went home in 2013, took all the old pictures to my sister who wanted to copy them. I know she gave them back to me, but upon arriving back, (I live in Switzerland), I was so ill. Got a chill on the plane, so never emptied the suitcases myself, so dunno what my husband did with them - maybe threw them out with all the wrappings - we had so many gifts and purchases. I have not found ever since - so sad. I had my only 2 baby pictures in that lot.
Keep well. Our mothers were great!

1 Like

Hello Paul. I’m sorry I was rude to you in another post, about living in France. Just thought you wanted the best of both worlds, which most people cannot have. And was a bit peed off. But on reflection, why not indeed. One should look out for oneself, as no one else will. And as you said, it’s your choice where you live. So please accept my apologies.

I’m sorry too that you don’t have any photo’s. That’s terrible. I know, because after a holiday in South Africa in 2013, I took my sister all the old photo’s my mom gave me. She wanted to copy them onto the computer. I know she gave them back to me, but on the plane back I got so ill. Did not even unpacked, just flopped into bed, and was ill for 6 weeks after. My hubby did the unpacking and think he threw them out with all the paper wrappings we had, with gifts and purchases. I have never found them to this day. They included all my mom’s young pictures of herself, and also my only two baby pics of my myself. And tons of other family pictures, like my Granny and Grandpa. Aunties and uncles. My brother and sister, who were younger than I, did not have even any pictures of themselves when they were babies. I guess there was no money then for developing pictures. I dunno, Maybe there was no camera. I did ask my sister to send them back to me, what she had copied, but alas she got ill with cancer, so did not want to harass her. Then she suddenly passed away last year. My brother in law is devastated by that. I have asked my mom to ask him about the photo’s, but mostly he just ignores everyone in the family. Their children as well. I think he is is so depressed and has turned into a recluse. He has always been weird anyway. At family do’s we were all outside and he would be sleeping inside on the the couch. My nephew, his own son, got married last month. He went to the wedding. did not speak to any of the family, and just disappeared into the night. Poof, he was gone, and did not say goodbye to anyone. He has not even filed or signed the papers for the release of my sisters estate yet, and she passed away last year in July. She had a really good pension after working for more than 40 years for the same firm. The money would be divided between himself, and the 3 children - but only one of those kids are his, the 2 girls were my sisters children from a previous marriage and the son was theirs. But it was her money, Maybe he is waiting to die himself and leave it all to their son. He has always preferred him over the girls. Has bought him three new cars over the years, the girls got nothing. He told my niece, when her car broke down, you can have the old mini, that was laying in the garage for the last 30 years, but will have to put new wheels on it and fix it up, but the son got new car after another. My sister should have stepped up. Bless her, but she was never a fighter like I am. I would never have stood for that. My kids get exactly equal to what I can give them. But then, they are my own children.

Well sorry again. I will try and remove that post but would not know how.

1 Like

This is a nice post and a good reply to Paul, Jennifer.
I am lucky to have some old photos, and my 86 year old mum to explain who the people are. It’s interesting to see the fashions of yesteryear too. It’s amazing also how old some of the children look on the photos, maybe it was because they had to remain with ‘frozen expressions’ while the photo was being taken.

When my father died my brother took all of his art books, drawings and paintings , even the paintings from my grandfather, mum didn’t even get to keep one thing. I will never forgive him for the way he treated her !

No worries :slight_smile:

It is, of course a privilege to have a second home - I recognise that. Not just because so many in today’s world do not even have one place that they can call home - having two seems profligate. But also, the chance to immerse yourself in another culture is a privilege. However comparisons are inevitable especially, perhaps, when they seem perplexing.

The photos, well done is done and can’t be undone so I just have to accept that I will not be able to pass anything on to my son about my childhood or his grandparents. That is sad but it is not as if we were a close family in the first place.

1 Like

Hello Paul

So glad you accepted my apologies, thank you. I felt really bad straight after posting it. Like really ill, as I’m opinionated for sure, but I’m not a nasty person, generally. And would have disengaged from this site because of it as got many nasty replies myself because of this post, but did not know how to get out of it. But decided to do the right thing and apologise personally. And what is so sad, your son will never see his old family pictures. Isn’t it funny. That is actually all people think about - is old photo’s. Me too - I lost mine somehow. It’s our past. I’m following the Hurricane Florence right now, and all the people that had to flee. Abandon all their goods, and do you know, they all say - it’s the photo’s they left behind. I feel the same. We have over 25 albums of real photographs from the 70’s, many other boxes of real photos from when our kids were born - 1983 . 1985, and up until 2001, No albums available. They all became rubbish then, and photo’s would not stick in. The rest from 2012 are all on computer. But that was Windows. Best ever for pictures. And everything. Don’t use it anymore. My son has forbidden it, because of viruses. He bought my husband and myself each an Apple. I hate it.
Still. if computer crashes, there go all the newer old photo’s from 2013 onwards. I have them on a usb stick though. But if I were in a flood or hurricane, would I remember to take my stick. I think not. The panic would be too great to make an early escape.

Thank you Ann. Felt terrible after It. Have apologised, and was accepted. I will never do this again in a huffy fit.

ap

¨
¨¨

I have 000’s of family photos from the early 1900’s onwards but sadly no one to pass them onto and neither has my only sibling. I’ve also a passionate interest in my family tree but again it won’t be of any interest to anyone else after I’m gone. The only thought I had was pulling out the photos that maybe were of social interest (cars of the day, places etc) and donating them to a museum back home, have to wait until my mother passed as she would not approve.

@tim17

I asked my Dad to put names on the family photos (on the back of course)… but when I inherited them… it was to discover that he had only done a very few… so I am left with quite a puzzle.

Trying to match faces from various generations… ( is that the same nose/eyes/cleft chin…?) . seen in a young person, then in an older person… ???

Not sure I am getting it all correct, but it is fun.

Will anyone be interested when I am dead… no idea… possibly the direct family line will be kept by my daughter and grandson… but the “millions” of cousins etc from way back when … probably not. They will be chucked.

Your photos might well be of interest to others… as you suggest… historical cameos… :relaxed::relaxed:

Tim, that is really sad. I’m so sorry. You could share them with us. We all love old photographs even if we don’t know the people in them. They are fascinating, and we would love to see them, Please post them. I’m sure everyone on here would agree with me. I bet it will be an interest for all of us. From 1900’s -wow. That is some history. Can’t wait for your pics. Best Regards.

I’m sorry - but this is not sexy at all. Just very weird. And zombies, really ??