A little mid-week humour to lighten the mood

What a wet week!

Talking of accents, I’ve rediscovered Catherine Tate’s…!

1 Like

Here she is again, with a ‘not bovvered’ PM Tony Blair.

1 Like

Wonderful @Bonzocat ! No idea who’s Ross Kemp (and not boverahd) but love the scripts. “Get rid of the pikey!” :rofl:How can I possibly explain to my ESL student !!

The “Canni aks a question” rather reminds me of Pritti Patel turning -ing ending words into -in endings. May I never hear them again

I think he plays/played a character in the EastEnders TV soap, which I think is still ongoing - life in a pub in the east end of London. A tough guy.

1 Like

I’d not noticed that from her, but am surprised to hear it from Beth Rigby of Sky News. It’s not a speech impediment so don’t understand why she does it.

1 Like

The current (youth/student) response, which is creeping up the age range, is to pause, as if giving careful consideration to the question, and then to answer with a long drawn-out “Yeah …”.

This used to be a caricature of the way some upper middle-class people (not the case with Miss Patel) spoke. Old soldiers would speak of “huntin’, shootin’ and fishin’”.

I don’t know if they really did, but the novels of Christie and Wodehouse are full of retired colonels who speak like that.

Beat me too it @Porridge, it’s an affectation and particularly in her case, probably because she thinks it makes her sound more posh?

Absolutey, appallin’ !

:lying_face:

1 Like

One of my greatest annoyances with speech affectation in the pronunciation of secretary as secertary. Makes me want to slap the user.

3 Likes

That’s a great explanation. I couldn’t, of course, speak to the lady’s motivation in dropping her gs, but the reference in it to a vestigial Essex/S London accent explains the “ding-dong” you hear when Miss P pronounces one of those words (which you don’t hear when someone genuinely of that class speaks).

I thought I had a bird here that could tell the future, but it’s just an omen pigeon. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I feel the same when people say mischievious instead of mischievous.
It sounds awful too.

3 Likes

Aaahhh. “Run it by”. Another US expression to explain to my French student :smirk:

3 Likes

‘Run it past’ is what I would say. How hard it is to avoid Americanism.

1 Like

Stopped by instead of called in. :rage: :rofl:

2 Likes

Truck instead of lorry…oh, hang on on a minute it was ours first then sent it to them, and forgot about it. :rofl:

Eckonomics instead of eeconomics

2 Likes