A little mid-week humour to lighten the mood

Patella

2 Likes

I canā€™t move posts

My favourite (and only) crossword clue I can remember was from my school days: A policeman sunbathing 6,8.

OK, itā€™s the weekend, so hereā€™s a non-anagram for a Friday night.

2 Likes

Ngl, I laughed much harder at the iconic Arrested Development quote that was at the bottom of that than I have at anything at all in the thread so far :see_no_evil::rofl:

If anyone hasnā€™t seen that show it really is worth trying!

1 Like

Have never seen that (or any TV from the last 40 years) but Iā€™m glad it worked for you. :blush:

Paddy McCoy, an elderly Irish farmer, received a letter from the Department for Work & Pensions stating that they suspected he was not paying his employees the statutory minimum wage and they would send an inspector to interview them.
On the appointed day, the inspector turned up.
ā€œTell me about your staff,ā€ he asked Paddy.
ā€œWell,ā€ said Paddy, ā€œthereā€™s the farm hand, I pay him Ā£240 a week, and he has a free cottage.
Then thereā€™s the housekeeper. She gets Ā£190 a week, along with free board and lodging.
Thereā€™s also the half-wit. He works a 16 hour day, does 90% of the work, earns about Ā£25 a week along with a bottle of whisky and, as a special treat, occasionally gets to sleep with my wife.ā€
ā€œThatā€™s disgracefulā€ said the inspector, ā€œI need to interview the half-wit.ā€
ā€œThatā€™ll be me then,ā€ said Paddy!

9 Likes

Copper bronzing? Browning?

Robert Browning. Originator of the British police, who were often known as bobbies (short for Robert). :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s enough trivia for Friday night (itā€™s just Friday here still).

1 Like

But surely Robert Browning was a poet, and Robert Peel was the founder of the police force which is why they were called peelers and bobbies. Or so I remember.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Never trust a memory more than 50 years old. :roll_eyes::worried:

Yes, of course youā€™re right. That was embarrassing. Can I blame Covid? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

:smile: Hope you are fully recovered now.

Thanks. I returned to work this week, but itā€™s been really crappy and Iā€™m probably less than 50% effective TBH. Without the vaccine Iā€™m sure we would not be having this conversation (though at least I wouldnā€™t have made the stupid comment yesterday :crazy_face:).

1 Like

Get better soon - a chum of mine had COVID right at the start and still feels ghastly from time to time, so donā€™t rush, give yourself time to get properly well. Itā€™s very frustrating, obv.

1 Like

Thanks Vero, :smiley:

Itā€™s mildly irritating that so many I know have now had it and apparently bounced straight back. There are periods of lucidity, but Iā€™m really nervous that Iā€™ll make some tremendously expensive mistake when booking or buying something, either for home or work. Booked travel over for the last week of the month a couple of days ago, and couldnā€™t stop worrying that something had been overlooked in the process - this is quite different to my usual self.

Hope you are taking Vit D and zinc not just for prevention but also to support recovery. Iā€™d also look at liver support - eg milk thistle.

I just got 3 tips off a bookie for the Grand National.

Sunshine.

Moonlight.

Good Times

If they donā€™t win, donā€™t blame it on Sunshine, donā€™t blame it on Moonlight, donā€™t blame it on Good Times, blame it on the Bookie

6 Likes

What if you canā€™t, you just canā€™t, you just canā€™t control yourself?

2 Likes

Ah, now thatā€™s because this magic music grooves me, that dirty rhythm fools me.