And now.....some GOOD news!

Did you know there is actually a newspaper called Positive News?

positivenews.org.uk

Dear Sepp, I fear that he hasn't taken bribes, he just lives off stupid salary and expenses. In return he turns a blind eye and does favours. Practically legal

Platini seems not very bright, and is still against video.

Thank you Peter. Having never had a truly bad illness or operation in his 63 years he has now had both. The other positive point is that the hospital and staff are absolutely amazing.

My daughter, Jill, started the last two years of her medical degree yesterday. These two years are spent following consultants around in hospital. I looked over lots of photos of her and her late Mum last night. Her Mum would have been so proud and it’s hard to credit that our little mite is wandering the corridors of a hospital in a white coat prodding unsuspecting patients.

Had a fright the other week, Didn't wake up until 10 o'clock.

Keep on trucking Peter.

Well, at least if you don’t you won’t know Bernard :slight_smile:

Wonderful post Margaret. What kind of voluntary work do you do ? My missus helped out at the St Junien Resto de Coeur and I was thinking of doing something similar. Can you recommend anything locally ?

The naturalisation takes a lot longer nowadays as the demand grows nationally. Have you had the visit from the gendarmes yet ?

Yep, life can be bleak but life can be great despite the pain we will feel at times.

That's good news Maureen. My late wife (died at 56 years of age) was ill for a very long time but she epitomised the vision of happiness despite the operations and interminable chemotherapy. I'm determined not to start feeling sorry for myself or shut myself away. Life is great, despite the bad times.

I wish you both all the luck in the world.

My positive news is that 2 days in and my husband is holding his own in intensive care in CH du Mans.

Great post, Peter – thank you. The weather is lovely here too and I'll get the washing out on the line in a minute. I'm getting busier and busier with my voluntary work and was thinking last night I'm gradually working virtually full-time, what with translations, being the treasurer, helping put up and helping to man exhibitions (is that right in English – I mean do the "permanences") putting a newsletter together and, most recently, compiling a member questionnaire, as well as my research into local history and genealogy. Yesterday I was asked by one of my Associations to compile a book for their English visitors to buy. Sometimes I do some housework and cut the grass and the house renovation isn't finished.

Ten years ago life was bleak and had been for about 6 years. I didn't know how I'd get out of it – nor did I know I would get very ill. Then, once I began to get better, things began to turn around. Friends helped enormously and I may not have managed without them. So did the internet as it means I'm not cut off even though I live in the middle of nowhere, and have access to so much information that was once nigh on impossible to access. Come the evening or lazy afternoons I've found YouTube an amazing source for just about everything – music I love, classic tv dramas ….. I sign several petitions a week and sometimes donate to causes close to my heart. And, of course, there's SFN which is invaluable - and I thank all of you who amused or been of great help to me.

Oh – I sent in my application for naturalisation a couple of months ago. They phoned and I have my Interview in November! The last of my three darling cats died last year, but she was immediately replaced by a feral (I'd already trapped him and had him neutered) who'd wanted to move in for some years, plus his great friend, the little cat adopted by next door after she had kittens in my roof space - they kept one of them and we now share the mother!

I hope that all of you going through bad times come through soon but above all don't give up hope.

Time to get dressed and put that washing out.

My good news, I woke up this morning, lets hope tomorrow is the same!

Lashing rain here but.....I will I hope make three score years and ten tomorrow- 9 years longer than my pater who died in '64. Virtually the whole of my family even representatives from distant relationships are making it. At the weekend we are having a repas together which will last several hours with singing and dancing (in an enclosed barn). My health is not perfect but not bad. I have a lovely wife, a wonderful six year old daughter full of joie de vivre, a nice house I couldn't afford if it was in England, a lovely new grand daughter, two great older sons and their wives, a nice garden and masses of friends and interests. Yes much to be be very grateful for and one is conscious of thoses not so lucky. The Shoreham plane crash just missed a friend of mine's son and grandchildren by one car and my magnificent old school and its glorious chapel. I did not kill a man who ran being chased by another with may car three weeks ago. Thinking of St George's Church Bagdhad wher my late father in law had been priest and where Christians are daily being attacked and persecuted. Wishing that humans would be more sensible and tolerant of others of different religious persuasion or none. Woried about the world economy especially for the young.

One Direction are splitting up - that’s gotta be good news for music lovers.

And did the lovely Sepp name himself as one of those individuals?

We have just had our daughter, her boyfriend and ex university friends over for a week staying in both houses (old and new), the weather was perfect so it was worth opening the big pool up just for them - for one week [daughter's request getting more urgent as the heatwave got worse and we said not unless rain was imminent!].

House almost finished and house warming party for friends and neighbours went very well.

Talked to my son (UK) on my birthday as I caught him online Skyping his girlfriend! He is very healthy and happy with army life which is still cushy for now.

My mother is finding walking more and more difficult - but she is still walking (and driving), just!

Lots of rain now along with the sunshine so the garden is once again lush.

Outside world - headlines look too depressing to read further!

My good news, I go back to France on Saturday and my little one starts school next week so I will be child free for 5 hours a day for the first time in 6 years (this is of course mixed emotions...I'll miss having a little person around as life has moved on but I am also looking forward to the next challenge)....and we start work on our house again on 2nd September after the long Summer holidays and we hope to finally move into a habitable part of it by Easter next year.

And France won the rugby! Yay! :-)

Here too but you mustn't wallow in bad luck or circumstances. I've had my fair share of misfortune and tough times like everyone ele what with nursing my wife for the last fourteen years of her life and money problems etc etc etc but life goes on ..

Lighten up Margaret !

Very good !!!