Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

I find them very useful. In fact on really cold days I wear them round the house - hands get very cold and itā€™s easier to be able to type with fingerless gloves. Also, use them when walking the dog - easier to clip his lead on and off but hands stay reasonably warm - itā€™s keeping the wrists warm that helps. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, I see what you both mean, when you said fingerless I was thinking mittens. But again, I am surprised that they are good, I always thought that in contrast to the otherwise warm hands, the fingers would be frozen stiff. I remember thinking that even as a lad when I saw the milkman wearing them.

Obviously not. :grinning:

2 Likes

So yesterday I made a cake based on an old recipe Iā€™ve carried round in my head 40 years. Very simple, based on coffee-soaked ginger biscuits and cream. It seemed to go down well this morning.

11 Likes

an alternative tiramisuā€¦
this looks and sounds deliciousā€¦

1 Like

Yummy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too. I have fingerless cycling gloves with a leather palm that I now use for digging and stuff, and fingerless compression gloves that I wear a lot in the house - very soothing.

And I think I can go even one stage further as I was given a pair of heated fingerless gloves for Xmas which I wore for the first time today. Must say, I was a little skeptical but found them to be very effective. You connect them to an external battery via usb and amazingly they use a relatively small amount of battery power - very pleased :partying_face:

Iā€™m not really keen on going so far as heated ones but I have been set to thinking regarding fingerless gloves for cycling. Are they specially designed as such with extra warmth built in, or can you merely cut the fingers off an old pair?

I use fingerless gloves only for summer cycling. They have padded palms and absorb some of the vibration from the handlebars.

In winter, I wear proper cycling gloves.

Iā€™m quite tolerant of cold: I wear shorts, even in winter, because my leg muscles generate enough heat. But my fingers hardly move and the wind chills them very quickly.

I made three pairs for my daughter and then she asked me to knit an Aran sweater too.

2 Likes

Whatever you do, donā€™t buy thermohands gloves. I got a pair for OH as his fingers go blue, and they are completely useless. And not cheap. He has gone back to the ones I got for ā‚¬5

I bought a cheap pair from my local decathlon https://www.decathlon.fr/p/mitaine-chasse-softshell-500-vert/_/R-p-10204?mc=8311055&c=VERT_KAKI They are warm I used them all this winter outdoors when I have been camping and fishing they have kept my hands warm and I can grip my axe when chopping wood safely,so I recommend then for general purpose outdoor usage.

2 Likes

For happy builders, lumberjacks and gardenersā€¦

https://www.amazon.fr/Thinsulate-Thermal-Fingerless-Gloves-Black/dp/B001E6W7RI/ref=sr_1_16?crid=11OHYUTK4GXV8&keywords=fingerless%2Bgloves%2Bthinsulate&qid=1674535709&sprefix=fingerless%2Bthinsulate%2Bgloves%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-16&th=1&psc=1

1 Like

After, starting Tuesday of last week, 2 days of a sore throat, 2 days of a cold, 2 days of streaming nose and eyes and now 3 days of a hacking asthmatic cough, Christelle our wonderful French cleaning helper arrived and insisted on administering the covid test that I couldnā€™t be arsed to study the correct sequence of.

And I am clear !! :joy:

Still coughing though. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

When I was in the UK over Xmas I slept in a bed with a memory foam topper- one of the most comfortable beds Iā€™ve ever slept in - I was so impressed that I ordered one when I got back - itā€™s just arrived, so really hope itā€™s as comfortable as the one I slept on as it was amazing - hopefully a very comfortable nights sleep ahead tonight :partying_face:

2 Likes

This is the cheerful news thread so but I got a memory foam topper and sent it back. In the depths of winter in a cold bedroom perhaps but otherwise too hot, too immersive and after two bad my back felt unsupported. Good luck. - ā€¦

When I was in the UK over Xmas I slept in a bed with a memory foam topper- one of the most comfortable beds Iā€™ve ever slept in - I was so impressed that I ordered one when I got back - itā€™s just arrived, so really hope itā€™s as comfortable as the one I slept on as it was amazing - hopefully a very comfortable nights sleep ahead tonight :partying_face:

Ooops looks like I posted in the wrong thread :joy::joy: meant to post in the ā€˜cheerful newsā€™ thread :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Well at least that stopped me thinking Iā€™d completely missed the joke!

3 Likes

@billybutcher perhaps it can be moved to where it was intended to be?

1 Like

Cā€™est fait.

1 Like