Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! šŸ™‚)

My washing is still out - I couldnt face bringing it in.
Itā€™s still raining! Soā€¦itā€™s a toss up between your furniture and my washing, Andy!

I have been vaccinated and myself, partner and FIL have received our dates for our CdSā€™s today :smiley:

5 Likes

Letter from the tribunal in Albiā€¦ managed to get off a 135ā‚¬ parking fine (at the limit, it would have been justified at 35ā‚¬ but not 135ā‚¬ !) :smiley:

5 Likes

Well done!

2 Likes

Excellent job, Andrew!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve made my first batch of vanilla icecream today, using the lovely local cream from the market. Now all we need is some sun to go with it, so Iā€™ve brought in my sodden washing from outside to try to make it a sunny/warm weekend :smiley:

3 Likes

Morning All

UK has trade agreement with Lichtenstein Whoop Whoop

Sunny uplands in sight

Andy

2 Likes

Rejoice! Rejoice!! Hooray for the extra opportunities for money-laundering and tax evasion!

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure too that these fabulous trade deals are simply existing rollover deals from the EU, and some are inferior. I remember reading about the rollover deal with Japan in the pro-Brexit Times and even they admitted (in a roundabout way) that it wasnā€™t as good as what we had under the EU. The only first significant non rollover deal, the Australian one, is proving much more difficult to pull off. And needless to say, it would shaft many UK farmers.

After that one, there are plenty of deals with the US, Argentina, NZ etc. (on-going for the latter) to look forward to for our farmers, as well as a substantial reduction of the subsidies (the ā‚¬4bn a year from Brussels is likely to be halved - English farmers face losing half their EU-style subsidies by 2024 ), said subs which will come with plenty of conditions and caveats.

The phrase ā€œdeath by a thousand cutsā€ springs to mindā€¦

2 Likes

Well Iā€™m sure Liechtenstein was a priority for our MPā€™s then.

Next up: Luxembourg

1 Like

Excellent time at Bagneres market this morning. Caught up with some Dutch friends, lined up some teaching for the school holidays, chatted with lots of people I havenā€™t seen for ages and picked up lots of yummy food and drink.

5 Likes

How was your first week in new job Deedee? will they make you take a break in school hols?

1 Like

Hi Karen,
My first week was very easygoing. Iā€™m starting half an hour later and finishing 45 minutes earlier than I normally would so itā€™s easing me in gently.
I have 4 weeks annual leave from mid July to mid August which is obligatory. Unfortunately I canā€™t take time off at my other job at the same time so it just means a month of less hours. Iā€™ll get stuff done at home and go to the mountains in the afternoons instead. I also need to finish my yoga for kids training course, so that will be a good time to do it. Then vice versa when Iā€™m off at the other job. Next year Iā€™ll know and Iā€™ll make sure I book a week off before all my colleagues do.
Thanks for thinking of me :pray::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And there was me thinking that all this rain will mean that we wonā€™t have a drought this summer.

That doesnā€™t follow at all: from my experience, all the rain is turned into grass within 48 hours so a drought is still very likely :grin:

2 Likes

Weā€™ve just got home from a fantastic week in lower Manche, think the grass (and the weeds) have a months growth in that time.

I know how you feel, we are cutting our grass every 3-4 days at the moment, according to the forecast there is some beautiful weather coming up though.

1 Like

Same here! (But in the Drome)
The weeds are impressive too!

1 Like

La Manche is always fantastic Mark.

I am biased though.

Andy

1 Like

Lime trees coming into bloom. Listening to the ā€œroarā€ of contented bees from the tree tops. :grin:

1 Like