Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! 🙂)

I don’t think that is a shade temperature. If it was, then it would have beaten the all time May record by a long way. More likely a sun exposed temperature. Today, here, we had a shade temperature of 29C, but a sun exposed temperature of 41C. I have a thermometer on the north side of the house in a large recessed windowsill which never sees the sun to measure temperature.

4 Likes

Lad successfully dropped at Brum airport this morning at 4.20am. :yawning_face:

6 Likes

It was not exposed to the direct sun
 sitting on the backside of a wooden upright (thus hidden from the sun)
 part of an abri we are in the middle of renovating

however, I did notice the wood felt very warm and wondered if the heat was passing through to it somehow, now that the roof has been removed

Moving the thermo to deep
 deep shade
 and the temp was only 35c

The whole village had fingers crossed for a storm to break the heat
 but it never arrived and around 10pm it was still 28c.

1 Like

Yes, probably conduction through the wooden mass into the mass of the thermometer itself. That could add several degrees easily. Mine is in permanent shade with only two very small points of contact with the inside of the alcove. Best is to suspend it using something similar to fishing line, but that seems a step too far for me.

1 Like

I’ve just checked the thermo in its “new” position
 it is currently 18c at 8am and that was the lowest it dropped to overnight

I’d be interested to find out where the “reported” temps are actually taken.
Majorca used to use the top of a building at Palma Airport for it’s weather details and, of course, we mortals at ground level used to be boiling, while we were blithely informed “it’s only xyz today
”

For the last 25 years, temps recorded for our region have rarely agreed with those actually happening 
 in our neck of the woods
 in fact, the general forecast is often completely at odds with what we receive. Locals know that the treefrogs get it right more often than not :wink: :wink:

could well be that all our stone buildings act like a radiator
 but the village can be stifling in mid summer
 outdoor work gets done in the early morning or very, very late evening and can be quite a social occasion :wink: (which is the cheerful news bit
)

3 Likes

You don’t need to pay any one just make an appointment with your tax office, it’s free.

And
 today’s cheerful news is that the outside light which comes “on” automatically if there’s movement by the backdoor
 now works !!!

OH had replaced the batteries yesterday (after 3 years, so not bad at all
) only to discover that the light still wouldn’t work

Drat and double drat
 might need to buy a new light

But
 on checking the contraption again today, he discovered one of the new batteries was the wrong way round
 !!!

Hurrah
 all is working 

(would that the world’s problems could be so easily sorted
 :anguished: )

3 Likes

Spring-cleaned and tidied the larder today - nice to have a bit more order.

2 Likes

We’re both great procrastinators but finally sat down at a screen together and filled in the property owners declaration on our tax page this afternoon. We struggled a bit with the idea that we “occupied” our woodstore and swimming pool, but apart from that, all fairly straightforward. Glad to say all the dimensions and numbers of rooms etc in the right ballpark - so only had to change the date when we arrived. Done and dusted. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t think you could actually change the details - must take another look as mine is incorrect in both m2 and nr of buildings.

I’ve just been to a pedicure/podologue to sort out hard skin on the sole of one foot. In less than 10 mins two corns were gone. Hooray! The doctor has also cured a recent bout of vertigo. Inner ear to blame apparently. A short course of tablets and magically that has gone too.

9 Likes

Last night DIL got appointments for the three of us with a local Opthalmo for six weeks time and a rdv with the local podologue for me in five weeks time. We actually had a choice of times and rdv’s but needed to tie up with each other for child care etc. Not bad going when back in old region, eyes were a min of 6-8 months if you could get into a cabinet and others a little less except for dentists who gave times upto a year ahead.

4 Likes

Corns are nasty, I got my first and only one by wearing cheap Decathlon trainers, never again.

1 Like

I had a wait of a month for the rdv. Seems to be par for the course unless you’re prepared to drive to the big city.

Yes, like you’re treading on a rose thorn. My other foot was fine, so,maybe not the shoes in my case.

The measure on the limnological tower (I learned a new word today :grinning:) on the reservoir above us shows the level is now 2.6m from the top. Six weeks ago, it was nearly 6m from the top. The rain we have had in the last 4 to 5 weeks has made a big difference.

8 Likes

Just had a few days away and came back to these in full bloom

17 Likes

Yes this is the sticks but Opthalmo is in the city(not huge in comparison to other cities)but we thought good idea to get into a practice and keep names on the books in case it all goes to pot again with less professionals.

2 Likes

Still nothing much here although last weds night it came down heavy but you would never know it. Seems strange to see so much snow on the Pyrénées at this time of year but that melting will help the drought a bit. My commune had a big council meeting last week to discuss their flooding plans with all the bodies that get involved, just hope it never happens but there is a big barrage at Vinça that if breached, could reach here in two hours, that fact was ingrained in my purchase of the house paperwork last year.

This doesn’t sound all that cheerful but it is!

I fell up a couple of concrete steps today and landed heavily (my co-ordination seems to have suffered a bit with the recent health stuff) but , although bruised, I have not broken anything :smiley: I’m hoping this means that the change in osteoporosis treatment is working :dancer: :dancer:

13 Likes