Any cheerful news today? (Nothing negative please! 🙂)

You must have very distinguished ancestors to be able to go back that far
 (where’s the cap-doffing emoji? :rofl: )

Sorry but picture of what? I don’t have a camera to take pictures either.

The hair!

Sorry no camera. Can’t have been that frightening as the little ones ignored me today, its not bright red at least.

On way back from the Weds rando (see Rando photos) was able to stock up in Marcillac with dry aged plat de cote that will be dry brined for tomorrow’s dinner, a superb tarte au citron and my first bottle of Marcillac natural wine that’ll be a conversation piece at an upcoming dinner - knew it existed but hadn’t been able to figure out where to buy it.

2 Likes

My pantry has undergone a radical spring clean.
Many things that have been hiding have been thrown out and I can see what is really there now.
My new garden chair arrived and is very comfortable.
You change position by moving your body, much easier than lifting arms.
I am hoping that I will use it for watching Wimbledon whilst undergoing my chemo.

5 Likes

Wishing you all the best through that (chemo not Wimbledon) :face_with_hand_over_mouth: been long distant memory for me now.

2 Likes

Today, while we were out at our French class, a friend who’s emigrating back to S Africa unexpectedly dropped off all her unwanted books on our steps. Fortunately we don’t want most of them (dozens of copies of Art in South Africa magazine) and has prompted me to get rid of all my copies too and free up some shelf space.

But, in addition there were some lovely books that I haven’t read, wanted to read and now will treasure (they’re hardbacks that won’t drop to bits while you’re reading them). So, I’ve now got Edmund de Waal’s The White Road, Orhan Parmuk’s, The Innocence of Objects, Rebecca Solnitt’s A Book of Migrations and Neil McGregor’s History of the World in 100 Objects. All books I toyed with buying, but never did - this year Christmas has arrived before Easter!

5 Likes

Thank you.
My nurse comes to give me a deep injection every 28 days for the next seven months.
I already have some medication for side effects.

2 Likes

A further work of his you might enjoy, entertainingly available on Audible, is ‘Living with the Gods’

“One of the central facts of human existence is that every society shares a set of beliefs and assumptions - a faith, an ideology, a religion - that goes far beyond the life of the individual. These beliefs are an essential part of a shared identity. They have a unique power to define - and to divide - us, and are a driving force in the politics of much of the world today. Throughout history they have most often been, in the widest sense, religious.

Yet this book is not a history of religion, nor an argument in favour of faith. It is about the stories which give shape to our lives, and the different ways in which societies imagine their place in the world. Looking across history and around the globe, it interrogates objects, places and human activities to try to understand what shared beliefs can mean in the public life of a community or a nation, how they shape the relationship between the individual and the state, and how they help give us our sense of who we are.

For in deciding how we live with our gods, we also decide how to live with each other.”

Penguin Books

2 Likes

Going out to lunch today.
49th wedding anniversary.

9 Likes

4th of July for us, will be 36years. July 4th independence day hahaha.

4 Likes

4th July, day we arrived in France - 17 years ago, this year. :grin: Longest we’ve stayed anywhere.

5 Likes

Thanks, just ordered a s/h hardback copy for €3.93!

The problem’s going to be to find time for all this sudden extra reading

1 Like

Today’s cheerful news: I am another year older but don’t feel it 
 hurrah

The internet has crackled with messages to and fro, as our daughter shares this same day
 she was my best-ever birthday present.

OH brought me tea in bed and has offered to do the cooking today
 wow
 Life is great !!

16 Likes

Bonne anniversaire :tada::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Happy birthday :cake: :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Happy Birthday Stella

1 Like

Happy birthday @stella!