BBC Internet Radio Gone

On my old Roberts, to get it to dim - it’s Menu/System Settings/Brightness, then you scroll to ‘Standby’ for the dimmest setting. After that, you turn one of the main front buttons to brighten or dim at whim.

Can’t get that to work, nor World Service. The back button does not work all the time, this has to be the most unuserfriendly piece of gear I have ever encountered.
But. I have France Musique preset No. 1. I will work the rest out in due course. :smiley:

Once I’ve got mine going we can compare notes so to speak. And you are right, it isn’t user-friendly, but that might be because, at least in my case, I’m hopeless at understanding this sort of technology incl computers.

Once all is set on digital devices I leave well alone and don’t tinker. I have a local computer tech running his own business in the village where I go when I don’t dare to tinker.

Snap !!
Well I have 2 presets fixed, France Musique and Nostalgie and at the moment I have the snooze on test due to switch off in 5 minutes. If that kills the light I don’t think I need the dimmer. Got the time and date sorted too. :joy:

I’m going to maybe sign up again with Spotify later and also see if I can find BBC stations.

It switched off on time although the sound went 1 minute early, that’s fine. The screen is still lit but not as bright, difficult to tell in daylight, I will know better tonight. So far so good. :grinning:

But I will be getting my own pet computer tech, Eddie, up here pretty soon. :wink:

1 Like

I know how to find any radio station in the world, and there are hundreds if not thousands of them. Let me know if you have problems finding them.

On second thoughts might be better to ask when I’ve got my new radio, which is due to arrive this coming Monday. The procedure for finding stations may probably be the same as my old radio, but wise to check it out first on the new radio.

It really is the most frustrating thing, having easily listed Musique and Nostalgie as favourites it took the best part of half an hour to list 3 others, BBC radios 2 and 4 and the World Service. Then an equal amount of time to set the sleep timer.

The remote will be fine(ish) from a distance (the other end of the bed) but has its own problems. The buttons are very hard to press, also going slowly on a learning curve, it times out and goes back to where I was.

The sleep timer works but not exactly the same as the select/snooze knob.

I have turned it off but left it connected, the remaining illumination is not bright but in any case I think it turns off altogether after a certain period of inaction

Looking foward to testing it tonight and a good night’s sleep. :grinning:

Edit: the screen is still dimly lit after several hours but no brighter than the lights on a computer which used to lay there dormant. I have many nights of broken sleep and often spend the gaps reading, I think reactivating this instead for half an hour will be far more restful then staring at a backlit text.

Equaliser is tech speak for ‘tone controls’. To capture the classic Roberts Radio tone, turn the treble and bass controls down to the minimum setting - and enjoy the resulting ‘mellow’ tone …

I will when I can find the blessed thing Brian, but seriously I am still in the investigation stage at the moment. Switched it on when I went to bed last night and was pleased that it remembered the last station I was playing, even got the sleep timer setup. But when I wanted to change to another station to drift off to, the bloody remote stopped working, I clambered to the end of the bed and stuck its nose right at it. Nothing. Then I discovered that the battery had fallen out so had to get the torch lit to find it and its cover amongst the bedclothes. :roll_eyes:

The remote does work when safely assembled but the buttons are small and need a lot of pressure. It is necessary to pinch one between thumb and forefinger (forefinger behind) for it to work and, as the time delay is seconds, hardly any time to press sleep and then find and pinch the up button to set the time before it disappears again.

On top of that the cover is impossible to lock shut without a coin for the slot provided, and not just any coin, so far only a 2 euro piece is the right size.

I did leave a message on their website when I was struggling to get it switched on, so if they do get back to me tomorrow I will tell them in no uncertain terms what a mess they’ve made of something that is really a very good little radio.

Woke up after 7 and a half hours good sleep this morning, not ready to get up but, rather than trying to go back to sleep switched radio 2 on. Lovely, just wish that I didn’t have to lie on my back, aiming over my head to stop the bloody battery falling out. :rofl:

The remote shouldn’t need much pressure. Is it a new battery?
Have you tried Radio Paradise? No ads, hardly any talking - good great music in the highest fidelity you choose.
https://radioparadise.com/home

You can of course plug in a USB key with recorded music etc.

The buttons on the remote can hardly be graced with the name, they are no more than slight lumps on the surface.
It is a new battery, I bought it yesterday, wasn’t included.
I am happy now with my 5 presets, if I need more I will go down the usb route, but probably not.
One thing was left to test, and I will be interested to hear from @Bonzocat when his arrives, the only control fo brightness/dimmer of the display is a long press of the info button. It simply doesn’t work, either on the radio or the remote. Doesn’t trouble me at all, it is out of sight when I sleep but it is annoying that something that is supposed to work, doesn’t.
If they answer my contact message when they arrive tomorrow, that is one thing I will point out to them. :smiley:

I am a CLOT. My Roberts radio’s been sitting on my bedside table since 2013, working OK for all that time, once I’d gotten over the initial trauma of setting it up, and getting used to operating it.

Chat about a remote control prompted me to go look in the drawer of a second bedside table where I found the remote control! Been there for 9 years, in pristine condition, and when I pressed the ‘on’ button the radio came on. Says something about CR 2025 batteries!

In time you will, like myself, have the radio set up and working fine, but as with any device there will be from time-to-time, foibles to overcome, like when the ‘back’ button doesn’t always work the way it should. And sometimes there’s a Wi-Fi ‘glitch’ and the radio loses its signal and its sound, but that’s not the radio’s fault. And as with computers, a ‘restart’ is helpful sometimes, by unplugging the power cable and reconnecting it.

The 2-euro coin is the perfect coin to loosen the battery cover. The cover remains stuck in place on the coin I find, making it easier to put back.

I think you need to develop a knack to press those remote control buttons – I find using my thumbnail works best.

Nothing & no one is perfect. But you’ll get there.

You two @Bonzocat @David_Spardo aren’t related by any chance are you?:grin::grin:

1 Like

Well he has a picture of a cat and I have one of a dog, but you never know. :rofl:
But one big difference is that he can afford to lose a 2€ piece by being permanently stuck to his battery cover, I can’t . :roll_eyes:

@Bonzocat does the info button operate the dimmer on your old radio, I seem to remember you said it had something to do the the Select/Snooze button ?

My procedure for bedtime is thus - I switch the radio on, and the programme last listened to will start playing, and the screen lights up.

I then set the number of minutes I want to lapse, 60 minutes in my case, before it switches off.

To do this I press the Menu button, scroll down and choose ‘Main Menu’, then scroll down again to choose ‘Sleep’. I then turn the big button until I see 60 minutes appear, and then press the big button to fix the time at 60 minutes.

Then I continue to scroll down and choose ‘System Settings’, then scroll down again and choose ‘Brightness’. ‘Normal’ and ‘Standby’ will appear.

If I choose ‘Normal’ I can turn the big button to control the level of brightness. If I choose ‘Standby’ it will instantly dim down to barely a glimmer, which is when I turn off the bedside lamp.

Standby will remain at a glimmer when the radio switches itself off.

Thank you, that is not what the leaflet with this new one says, but I’ll give it a try after ‘Just a Minute’ and see if they have confused themselves. :wink: :rofl:

I think my old radio and the new one are very similar but maybe the radio/instruction/procedure differs after 9 years.

I just tried pressing the ‘info’ button on my old radio and nothing happened. Don’t know what it’s for!

Added here because I can’t post a third time.

The Snooze function is different from the Sleep function. If you want a radio alarm to wake you up, that’s where the Snooze function comes in. If you don’t wake up it will allow you to snooze a little longer before letting the alarm off again to wake you up.

If you haven’t confused one with the other, then I apologise.

Just looked this up on the web – Robert’s manual for the Stream 94L. Looks like there are 2 methods for brightness. Paras 3, 4 and 5 below are the ones I sent earlier for my old radio…

Brightness control Display and Audio

The brightness of the display can be adjusted for when the radio is in standby and for when it is in use.

If you use the unit in the bedroom, you may prefer a lower standby brightness level than the standard setting.

There are 4 Standby brightness levels and 3 levels for when the radio is in use.

To change the current brightness setting please follow these steps. 1. Apply a long press on the Info button to access the display brightness setting.

1. Choose either the High, Medium or Low brightness level. Press the Tuning control to set the level. If the radio is playing, then the chosen brightness will be applied immediately. If the radio is in standby, then the chosen brightness will be applied after a 10 second delay.

3. To set the display brightness using the menu press Menu.

4. Choose ‘System Settings’ and then ‘Brightness’.

5. To adjust the display brightness when the radio is switched on select ‘Normal’. To adjust the display brightness when the radio is in standby select ‘Standby’. Press Tuning. The current setting will be marked with an asterisk.

1. Choose either the High, Medium or Low brightness level. Press the control to set the level. Press the Menu button to exit. When the radio is in Standby mode, pressing a button or turning a rotary control will cause the radio to switch to the high brightness level for a few seconds. This is so that even if the standby brightness level is set low, it is still possible to see the time when needed.

http://www.aeldownloads.com/robertsradio/userguides/Stream%2094L%20Issue%202%20guide.pdf

As I’ve said No.1 definitely doesn’t work but just tried Nos. 5 and 6 and indeed there is a brightness option which I have switched to low. Must say I can’t see a difference though maybe be it will be a bit better in the darkness tonight.

Nothing about that option in the leaflet though.

The display is not good in daylight - the best time to see what’s on the display screen is in the dark.

Roberts should up the brightness level to see clearly what’s on the display screen, but I’ll wait and see how my new one compares with old. When it’s set to dim there is barely a glimmer in the dark.

Can you see the clock in the dark?