BBC Internet Radio Gone

Aha, just clocked it! My radio is on standby, nothing going on, but when I turned the big button the display lit up to show the time, and then dimmed after a few seconds, went back into standby. Learning new stuff about my old radio - better late than never!

I’ve just found the contrast control for the display screen - menu/system settings/contrast. The contrast was at minimum setting, turned it to max, and the display screen is so much easier to read now in daylight!

If you mean the standby clock, yes, but it isn’t very bright anyway,

No contrast option but there was an option to switch the standby clock off after 2 or more hours. At least that’s what I think it means, so I have selected it at 2 hours. that should mean no more light 2 hours after the sleep timer switches it off. Not a priority for me, but a good move anyway. :smiley:

Quite a learning curve, I’m wondering if it is all a government plot to re-activate old fogie minds. :thinking:

1 Like

This is my old Robert’s Stream 83i radio, and from what Roberts told me the new Stream 94L is not really much different technically and is one of the forerunners of the Stream 94L. What I found irritating were those tiny little chrome buttons along the front.

But the appearance is different - the new one being attractive in a leisurely casual sort of way, while the older version is rather formal.

And yes, we oldies with Robert’s radios, may benefit by way of increasing our neural connections by getting the things set up and working properly.

2 Likes

Mine is a bit less sophisticated :joy::joy::joy:

I’ve never liked the styling of the Roberts Internet radios, though I agree the newer one is a distinct improvement.

Véro’s on the other hand is clearly a classic.

1 Like

I bought the modern equivalent of that one in blue for my elderly mother. It has internet, bluetooth etc and sounds wonderful. Downside is it’s not the easiest set to operate and mum couldn’t cope with it. Lovely looking radio.

1 Like

Well I prefer the look of the first picture, but that apart, a bit of a downer last night. I set it up to run with sleep timer set and volume set and settled down to sleep. After 5 minutes it went silent and on inspection I saw that it said ‘re-conecting’. I assumed that the Livebox had gone down and that this would be temporary but it never came back.

It was on standby this morning so I pressed the start button and the same thing happened, checked the Livebox, ok, back to the radio and unplugged and re-plugged it. Back to normal. I hope that doesn’t happen too often.

An awful lot of information on this and I’m not sure it I understand all the implications and what exactly is the impact and on which radios will be affected. So maybe some one who has gone into the derail can tell me whether the two radios we use : Roberts Stream 94i and Pure Elan IR3 will cease to receive BBC radio stations over the internet sometime (when?) in 2023 .
Then i can either forget all about it or work out what radios I need to buy to resume reception.
As a matter of interest I have never heard the warning that the “service you are listening to now will cease in 2023”.

From time to time my old radio stops receiving the wifi signal, which cuts out sometimes at night, but after a few minutes the radio reconnects itself when the wifi comes back on, but on the odd occasion I have to navigate through Station List/Europe/UK/BBC which reestablishes my presets every time, but it’s infrequent. But I do get annoying wifi cutouts which I presume is down to my SFR wifi supplier, location in France etc.

Depends when you bought it. My 2013 Roberts Stream 83i will not be receiving BBC sometime in the middle of this year, no date verified yet. Roberts say that all their new radios will not be affected.

The Roberts one I’m referring to is a Stream 94i which was bought in i think 2018, and the Pure in 2020.

I’d have thought that the 94i is pretty recent. But if it does lose BBC stations later this year, then that’s the time to replace it, if you want to continue receiving the BBC stations.

I don’t know the Pure you refer to, but it’s dated 2020 which again is fairly recent.

I have gone against the grain. No Roberts for me. Just ordered an Internet radio with built in Alexa. Many other features too. Just shy of 200 Euros including delivery etc.
I am looking forwards to asking Alexa to inform me about the weather whilst playing the radio.

Well, my new Roberts radio just arrived. Am anticipating a headache while trying to set it up! Oh, nearly forgot, a battery for the remote is included!

Perhaps, as I ordered after you but got delivery before you, they rushed it out and forgot to put the battery in. :rofl:
I look forward to hearing your experience. :wink:

I remember in 1962 my parents bought one of these in red too, it had a little turntable on the bottom so it swiveled. First Sound I heard was Elvis Presley and Return to Sender!
They used it till about 1990

Success - I’m listening to BBC 4 now. Easy peasy…!!! Wonderful, so much easier this time around. So right now I shall be setting up my 5 presets.

The screen is so much better than the old one, and generally the radio controls seems more user-friendly.

That was for use when listening to AM stations. The internal antenna was basically a rod, about 20cm long. For best reception, it had to be aligned with the signal from the transmitter. The turntable enabled you to do that without having to pick the radio up and reposition it.

They were looking for daft USPs back in the 1950s too!

1 Like

Pleased your experience is better than mine, I suppose the difference is having a previous model, plus presumably unlike me trying for ages to input an impossibly long password. :smiley:

Have you tried to use the declared method of adjusting the brightness yet, using a long press on the info button?

Yep, that must have helped, the procedure was recognizable, the same as before in 2013. What happened just now is, I think, due to pressing too many buttons, and it froze up, had to disconnect & reconnect. Getting to know its foibles is something else to conquer!

What you went through this time round is what I went through with the old radio.