Be interesting to hear TMs response to Boris's remarks!

You and Jane have said I’m missing the point, I simply asked what is the point, not complicated.

I disagree with others not just yourself, ask Bill and Peter G.

The twins comment was merely a joke, again not complicated to follow but not necessarily appreciate.

Do have a nice day, some of us have got to work.

You only joke to Mock Tim!
Chip on your shoulder.
I am working today too…by the way…no big deal.

1 Like

This is interesting from a woman who chooses to wear a niqab.

1 Like

There are many things that are used to conceal identity. Maybe we should we also ban balaclavas, hooded jackets, full face crash helmets, scarves, tights/stockings, false moustaches/beards, wigs, clown masks etc… all of which are used to conceal identity by those up to no good.

1 Like
1 Like

Sorry to be pedantic Mandy, but isn’t Gerrard Batten currently leader of UKIP?

Both articles from April 2017.

My sentiments.

At great risk of abuse (not from you Mandy :relaxed:)… I suggest that it is usual for folk who wear crash helmets/balaclavas/masks etc etc … or whatever that obscures the face… to remove said covering if requested to do so… in petrol stations/ shops/restaurants/banks/schools/libraries/government buildings etc etc, in fact wherever, so no problem/no foul… :thinking:

2 Likes

yes of course.

2 Likes

Yes of course.

But those who are concerned that criminals/terrorists are disguising themselves with veils are not asking for other disguises to be banned. Why not?

1 Like

When I first spent 4 months in Egypt as an undergraduate there was not one woman or girl around with a covered face, old ladies would come in from the Delta with vegetables for sale and they had a hijab but that was all. Egyptian women demonstrated from the 1920s for the right to unveil and get an education etc etc.

Now thanks mainly to the Ikhwàn (the muslim brothers) there are many, but it isn’t primarily a question of faith (and I think it is disingenuous to say that it is) it is definitely a political statement (although religion and society and therefore politics are intimately linked in the muslim - and specifically Arab - world in a way in which they are not in contemporary christendom).

1 Like

Have they had the choice? No but if there was a choice we know the answer.
But this garment is worn with religious reasoning and the way it has been discussed
by Boris is not respectful.

But time to understand and have some respect for the customs of others ……merely in the way it is dealt with.

What’s the difference between men telling women what to wear and the law telling women what to wear?

For those who choose the veil do you want the law to say they can not choose it?

1 Like

The way it is done. Mocking people is not the way it should be done!

when you mock people you cause them to react and then the whole situation becomes inflamed.
You can see how I react when someone pokes fun at me I do not accept it! P…….Boris was not quoting from the law.

2 Likes

I agree Barbara.

Boris is a nasty piece of work and mocking/insulting women just part of his disgusting repertoire.

1 Like

It seems reasonable to me that anyone who refuses to remove something (whatever) which obviously hides the face/disguises… when reasonably asked to do so… that person can be refused access to whatever public area/building etc etc (wherever/whatever) is involved…

I’ve not seen many people wandering around wearing masks, other than at Festivals etc… and even then, they can be asked to unmask…if the situation demands it… they certainly would not be allowed near our school, unless it was part of a controlled event…

Bikers are already asked to remove their helmets…

I think we are on the same lines, but perhaps I’m not expressing myself properly… :thinking:

2 Likes