Be interesting to hear TMs response to Boris's remarks!

Mocking and insulting any one is not on and religion is a very delicate subject to tango with.

1 Like

No Stella, I’m probably the one getting my words all wrong.

I guess I’m trying to say that banning something because criminals might try to use it to commit crime/evade capture is an absurd argument. It’s possibly used by those who want to “cop out” of their real reasons for wanting the veil banned.

You have already clearly stated your reasons and good for you.

Those who say it should be banned because men are forcing women to wear it are just as bad as those men. No one should be proscribing what women should or should not wear.

I rather wonder if a Ban is necessary if folk who wear face-coverings (of whatever sort) are willing to leave them off in public places
 or to remove them without fuss, if politely asked to do so
 in public places.

3 Likes

Yes Mandy. If the woman is wearing a covering because it’s her choice that’s fine. I have already said ( and been ignored) that my female Muslim friends wear many (if any ) different headwear, one young girl wears tight jeans and a tee shirt but chooses to cover her hair All intelligent women making their own choices

2 Likes

Absolutely Nellie, spot on. The Koran calls for women (and men) to dress modestly and this is interpreted in many different ways by Muslim women around the world. That’s why they wear everything from a burqa to a simple headscarf. It should always be the woman’s choice to dress how SHE sees fit in accordance with HER faith.

It’s wrong for men to dictate what women wear just as it is also wrong for the law to do the same.

1 Like

Hummm
I’ve been thinking about this in the context of a desire to reside permanently in France.
If you don’t accept the French culture (such as set out in an earlier post about refusing to shake the hand of an official at the naturalisation ceremony) then in my humble view you don’t deserve to enjoy the hospitality of your host nation.
It’s not French to wear the niqab but, being a catholic country it is French to wear a crucifix (but not mandatory).
In some states, it’s illegal to drink alcohol; if you don’t like that, or simply can’t comply (because your dose of strong lager at 9am is an absolute must) then don’t go there. If you do and don’t comply, expect the consequences.
I see the problem as a confused nation of mongrels who can’t work out who they really are so try to be everything to everyone and that just can’t work.

1 Like

Many of us are mongrels
Boris fir instance.

good analogy Barbara, he just seeks out all the bitches on heat
 :wink:

1 Like

Graham, France is a not a (Roman) Catholic country. Secularism (laïcité) is a core concept in the French constitution.

“La France est une RĂ©publique indivisible, laĂŻque, dĂ©mocratique et sociale” (Article 1)

2 Likes

We might discuss how a ban on the niqab or burqa will be enforced.

A woman déclinés to remove her garment when politely required by a police officer, or security guard, having been reported by a member of the public in La Poste.

How will her misdemeanour/crime be handled from that point on? On the spot fine? Arrest and custody? Any unforseen consequences on the spot? Protests from bystanders? Arguments amongst bystanders? Public disorder? Crowds gather around the Gendarmerie? Tear gas, batons?

Watch this space, citoyens/citoyennes.

Darn it! Got there before me Peter (or can I call you Pete? :wink:).

France is a secular country as you say and don’t even teach religion in state schools any more.:pray:

why would anyone refuse a polite request
??

Call me Pete, Mandy, trend set by Bill Morgan, after the fashion of Herman Melville’s novel ‘Moby Dick’ of which the famous opening line is “Call me Ishmael”. :grinning:

1 Like

Well, don’t tell anyone Pete but my full first name is Amanda although I’ve always felt that was a bit “posh” and a bit of a mouthful at 3 syllables. I’m usually known as Mandy. Even that is one syllable too many for most of my family and friends who usually drop the “y” as well. :smiley:

1 Like

I imagine they may refuse if the person asking is a man although they should have no problem with a woman asking provided they can remove it in private.

On principle, Stella, on principle. The principle being that asking a woman to remove an item of clothing is a violation of her rights as a citizen to identify as an observant Muslim woman, and to preserve her modesty in line with her constitutional and human rights.

The policeman will probably be asked to prove that he had grounds for suspicion that she posed a risk to public safety or national security.

Good luck with that one!

I’m on exactly the same page, Mandy. Peter is too
 er, polite ? Rather stuffy as well. My Dad always called me pog and that stuck with early family members, but all but one are now gone beyond
 :cry:

1 Like

They may indeed, but I imagine it might be under protest, and it would turn into a toxic situation overall. Having removed her garment to show her face in private, would she be required to keep it off on her journey home? The whole thing is a legal/human rights quagmire. And for what reason? Public safety? It’s a nonsense IMO.

1 Like

You got it half right Babs, I’ve got a ‘steakhouse’ size chip on both shoulders!:grinning:

I well understand the principles of lĂ€icitĂ©, it is a well understood principle - separation of State and religion but I don’t think that is what I was deferring to when I said France is a «catholic» country. but rather that she is catholic by nature.
«Christianity» today accounts for between 63-66% of the total population with the «Roman Catholics» accounting for 83% of all Christians.
And, whilst it may be changing in modern times, woman are still secondary in importance to men (barricades himself under the stairs and tapes up the windows!) - a very catholic trait.
BTW, I’m agnostic and I like to eat so I treat my OH with tremendous respect :grin:

2 Likes