Believe whatever you want to believe, check available scientific evidence before accepting nonsense as fact!

Might have been easier to use the extra few letters and avoid confusion

4 Likes

I’m sure you are right! Im accustomed to talking to myself!

I’d never have guessed :joy:

6 Likes

Jeanette’s favourite song - ‘Me, myself and I’ :grinning:

2 Likes

Here on SF I’d be mental by now! Looking for green hearts and responses!
Ooops…does that count as mindless chatter @Cat?

No it ain’t. I sing a lot of hymns, while on country walks and a selection from Simon and Garfunkel, and a bit of Opera now and then.
Plus
Do you know “she moved thru’ the fayre”… How it goes is…
My-y-y young love came to me
The-ee-se words did he say…or she say…
I-i-t will not be long love…
To-oo-oo our wedding day…with an Oirish accent…

1 Like

I love that song…

Jeanette here’s an idea you don’t have to post every single thought and certainly not in its individual post

4 Likes

I know! Are you a prefect?:grin:

I’m in the UK at the moment and was disheartened to see so much tat on sale for Halloween, mostly plastic. To be followed shortly by Christmas tat.
I thought young people were more plastic aware.

3 Likes

Hallowe’en is becoming a nightmare in the UK and nearly all plastic tat like you say

1 Like

To be fair France is also in love with Halloween.

Plastic awareness is relatively new and it will take some time before automatic thought kicks-in (a bit like putting on a seat belt) and people simply reduce it’s usage.

3 Likes

You can blame trump but it’s everywhere…
The rise of the electric car, less polluting for Europe but the destruction and chemicals leeching into the ground in South America mining to make the batteries is massive.
It’s a lot more eco friendly to keep old cars on the road longer, but Europe doesn’t want this as they want to sell new cars, WHY ? So they make jobs, collect the taxes, in the last 20 years cars have not got more fuel efficient, they stopped trying to get more miles/km per gallon. But they have got heavier, consume more minerals,use more plastic, are less solid than before.

2 Likes

@barry_wildsmith …I think of the change and development of human societies as a mix of different influences, from natural/geophysical etc through to different kinds of leaders, power organisations and systems.

Humans are famously adaptable to change and although millions might be lost to disasters of different kinds, survival so far, goes on, even if small numbers, tribal/family groups.

Currently, there seems to me to be two main global power groups (could be many others!) …it is up to you where you place your loyalty or faith and how you live, accordingly.
One is the overtly materialistic power group which depends on gradually taking full control of every available earth resource, and managing it.
That’s to say…eg…in some states in USA even rain harvesting and/or solar power are not permitted outside govt controls. Already, immense power is in the hands of a tiny minority of individuals and corporations, worldwide. This goal influences everyone.

Stuck in a hamster wheel of always buying materialistic ways out of difficulties. Buying bigger, buying more. Using everything up, without any thought of careful management and preservation.

On paper, I guess that can be designed, to work out well enough, but on such a tiny speck of dust spinning around in space, as the Earth, itself, it appears unrealistic at best, to think of total earth control.

Are those people who have control, via immense wealth, and influence (enough to buy everything from food production to arms and armies) to be trusted? Saudi princes, Putins, and Donald Trumps et al?
Dont think so. :dizzy_face:
History offers lists of lousy leaders and power groups who have screwed up. Causing suffering to billions.

Getting rid of them, once comfortably installed and protected by own power and influence, can be very difficult, if not impossible.
The kind of screwing up that’s possible now is of an immense scale, so immense, it is apparently likely to bring about destruction of essential life support, for almost everyone.

The forceful movement against that system/power group, is likely to continue to be, always available
Until life itself, becomes impossible. That is the ongoing, growing determination of individuals and groups, to live without exploiting resources, and instead to find equilibrium/harmony on the earth, regenerating/recycling, and give up on what appears to be unrealistic goals.
Anyone, everyone can do that. In some way. Anyone can begin to do it now. Get out of the hamster wheel. Success is better measured by creating peaceful and supportive communities, than by big profit and endless materialism?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Jeanette, I simply didn’t realise what a planet damaging life I was leading - constant recycling and upcycling, using water butts instead of turning on the tap, growing my own food, keeping chickens etc etc. What a fool I’ve been all these years, I can’t tell you how ashamed I am.

Just one thing, I think you meant ‘get off the hamster wheel’.

2 Likes

well done, you, @tim17 … My reply was to @barrie_wildsmith’s comment …I don’t think I know anything about how anyone in particular lives his/her life on SF. Except for one or two maybe…
No, I didn’t mean get off the hamster wheel, I meant get out of it. I remember watching mice playing inside one, they seemed quite contented, but sometimes appeared to forget the way out…there’s an improved, easy exit, rustic design now which is open entirely, on one side. You might liketo make one for your hamster._dsc5027_2

Okay Jeanette my bad, I thought that was a public information bulletin aimed at everyone.

Never heard of ‘get out of the hamster wheel’, must be a phrase only eco-warriors use.

2 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: might be ONLY me, on the planet, who thinks of peeps stuck IN hamster wheels, and not ON them… .don’t know, don’t mind…:fearful: I like thinking about ways to escape. Because for millions of people …finding an escape route…from the shocking browbeating and leg irons of what is laughingly called. CIVILISATION…becomes impossible.
I don’t think of it as any kind of sharing out of stuff, money, that can help, but making equal opportunities absolutely The Law. No one should be able to buy better justice than anyone else…maybe that needs thinking about.
How I see it first is, that forcing people to live in certain kinds of houses for example…is criminally unjust.
I’m so happy to see the massive push of Tiny Houses, so that more and more city planners cannot refuse permission for people to choose TINY.
I think of the crummy laws, and social pressures, that have given me most grief, that are a part of the obligation for people to stay fixed inside hamster wheels. I remember how people have put my friends down and been cruel to them because they don’t want to take part in impressing by cash. Etc.

1 Like

It totally amazes me that people on the tv say that shopping is their hobby and these people have a vote, exactly the same as those who voted to leave the EU because ‘We won the War’.
Totally brainless.
Consumerism and Nationalism gone mad!

2 Likes