Boris Johnson - liar, fraud and just plain stupid

Maybe David Lammy. He’s very impressive.

1 Like

Just back on the original topic, an online friend of mine actually followed this through.

I will put a link to his blogpost below as it is an interesting read regarding this topic. However, the main point of my reply is to say he actually was able to vote in the local elections as Boris owns a house in Oxfordshire and you can vote in the area of any of your houses, for those with more than one, as long as you only vote once in total.

http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/05/fake-news.html

Maybe Dave but he deleted his tweet almost immediately. Why do that?

Perhaps the title should have read, “Boris Johnson - liar, fraud OR just plain stupid?” And Dave Sheriton’s contribution, although thought-provoking, doesn’t exactly answer that question.

That is indeed the question posed in my friends post. He thought that it might be that it doesn’t necessarily sit well that he has a choice of houses to vote from. The other thought was perhaps that he may not be the only one who has access to tweeting on his account. One of his minions could have put it up and then another taken it down.

It is that point of the fast removal that makes it of interest.

2 Likes

A large swathe of thepublic will vote for any candidate who belongs to neither of the two main parties because we’ve all lost faith in the dreadful maybot and the magic granddad. Despite what Paul says, had the Brexit Party contested last week’s elections they would have won a huge number of seats.

1 Like

There must be something going on, or they definately know something we dont. Why would BoJos wife vote for a different party as well as Mrs Rees-Mogg do the same. The mind boggles. At the end of the day they are all useless and need to be decimated and start again. A load of Joe Soaps could do a better job all round. They certainly couldnt do any worse.

Love to know where you get your info from Thomas, has BoJo got married again?

This kind of lying has outraged many, many people. Here’s what someone is doing about it - https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/BrexitJusticeProsecution - I’m pleased I joined in from the start.

We have already contributed sometime ago.
It is about time he got his comeuppance.

I’m a legal nincompoop but I can’t imagine on what possible grounds Johnson could be convicted for lying in public office.

Surely the defence, the judge or the jury would have it that ‘caveat emptor’ would enfeeble the case against him on the basis that the Man on the Clapham Omnibus would know, or should well know, that stretching the truth and glossing the implausible is the stock-in-trade of any politician, and if you buy a pig in a poke you are most likely to end up with a flea-ridden dog with a terminal cough.

Some people have money to burn.

If you had read either the solicitor’s or the barrister’s opinions then you might have some idea.

1 Like

Some people take the appalling political situation seriously and the lies told by the Leavers should be dealt with appropriately.
I don’t have money to burn, but consider joining in on this prosecution money well spent.

2 Likes

Well, " Misconduct in Public Office" is certainly an offence occasioned when:

• a public officer acting as such
• wilfully neglects to perform his duty and/or wilfully misconducts himself
• to such a degree as to amount to an abuse of the public’s trust in the office holder
• without reasonable excuse or justification.

I’m not sure his performance gets as far as “neglects to perform his duty” - even though he got pretty bloody close in some aspects of his time at the FO so I assume they would want to go with wilful misconduct using the false claims regarding the £350 million.

I’m not sure you could actually demonstrate that and even if you could show that his behaviour met the bar for wilful misconduct I think you’d trip up at “to such a degree as to amount to an abuse of the public’s trust in the office holder” because I think it would be extremely hard to show that his claims during the campaign amounted to an abuse of trust in either of his official posts - Mayor of London (from which he stepped down in 2016 anyway) and MP for for Uxbridge and South Ruislip - because they were in a clearly separate sphere.

I’ll be interested to see how it pans out but, honestly, I don’t think this one has legs.

1 Like

Well thanks for that, Paul, very interesting and as I said I’m a nincompoop and only adding my ten penn’orth to the discussion.

I guess any brief worth his salt and with an eye on the half a million of readies in the purse could knock up an opening case, and plead it till it ran out of dosh. :zipper_mouth_face:

I reckon he will enjoy the attention and the publicity he craves, like Trump, and will turn it to his advantage in whipping up the surly mob in his favour. But he does need to rethatch his head, that new coiffe spoils his Dennis the Menace ‘charisma’, which is more than half the political edge he has over Moggie.

Personally I’m all for putting him in No 10 anyway - I think that would complete the destruction of the Tories faster and more convincingly than just about anything else.

Ironically, while she is on office the Tories are, at least, united in hating her.

Finding him guilty and sentencing him to life imprisonment will not change the Brexit result, did the Remain campaign also not make false claims about the immediate disastrous effect of a Leave win?

You don’t burn your house down just to get rid of a wasps’ nest.

2 Likes

No the Remain campaign made some claims about the effect of leaving the EU - since we haven’t actually left it is hard to know whether those claims will turn out to be true when we do.

However the very act of leaving is demonstrably doing harm to the UK so it is quite likely that they will turn out to be fairly accurate - especially as the Brexiteers are pushing more and more for “no deal” in the delusion that Britain still commands an empire.

Normally, no, but when the nest pervades the fabric of the house and where the wasps have eaten through all the supporting structures and timbers it might be the only option.

1 Like