Borne de recharge

Browsing the Lidl weekly catalog (as one does) I noticed they’ve a charger for sale. I’ve got a 11/22kW charger on the garage wall (car can only take 11kW) but I usually park up the garden in the abri, so I’ve been using the “charger” that came with the car, plugged into a normal socket in the abri. Since we don’t do a high daily milage the 2.7kW (or whatever) that delivers is actually sufficient. But I think the car charger trailing from the plug to the charging port looks untidy and I don’t like leaving it lying around with the front gates open when we’re out and about. If it was nicked I think it could be expensive to replace. So, I think I might buy a Lidl borne and stick it on the wall in the abri.

Lidl Charger.pdf (1.2 MB)

Now the question is, do I have enough umph in the abri to drive it? Years ago I had a very (hopefully) professional (and pricy) crowd run the power from my three phase mainboard to the abri. All that’s up there are four LED lights, two on the gate posts and two in the abri, two power points and the electric gates, which are only 12v anyway.

These are the cables that supply it. The top one is 10mm and the two bottom ones 8mm.

Would installing the 11kV (€349) version of the borne work or would it blow me up? There’s a load balancer ensuring the garage one doesn’t hog our supply, would I need the same for the abri, I think it was pricey.

@Badger1948 @Corona et al, All advice and guidance gratefully recieved :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Without knowing more about those cables you’ve shown I can’t say one way or another.

Your measurements don’t mean much e.g. there is no such thing as 8mm², so I think you might have measured the diameter of the exterior. If you can have a closer look those cables should have some proper specifications printed or moulded on them.

I can confirm that the one shown with yellow print will have 2,5mm² conductors in it, but I need the other info to know if it’s 3G2,5 (i.e. monophasé - phase, neutre + terre) or 5G2,5 (i.e. triphasé - 3 x phase, neutre + terre).

The bigger cable may well be triphasé, feeding a distribution board, the smaller ones may be gate power & exterior lights.

On another tack, I’d need to see more info about those devices before parting with my money. They’re a tad too cheap, but I guess that’s partly to do with lack of connectivity.

EDIT: I’m not @Badger1948, just plain @Badger

1 Like

Sorry about that Badger :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes I just measured the externals (with my Lidl electronic callipers). I’ll look at the printing.

The tech stuff might be printed in white/grey, or it might be raised (moulded) lettering. The latter requires good lighting to see properly.

1 Like

I’m not up to speed on French electrical regs but, for reference, this house had a car charger and the cabling to feed it has 10mm2 conductors.

That would make sense. Giving around a 40 amp service. Badger will know more on the French regs/ spec.

To go of at a tangent, do you think this meets the standard? I’m changing the consumer unit and found this…:scream:

That would be the minimum size for a monophasé 7kW capable charge controller. A longer run may dictate bigger to avoid volt drop.

Classic loose connection overheating problem. Simply bad workpersonship - look at the sloppily stripped conductors entering the phase block - lots of exposed copper :roll_eyes:

EDIT: That picture implies to me that the main supply has been split up in a joint box in order to feed multiple locations (sub-boards?). Such a thing should be done inside the main tableau, via suitable disjoncteurs. My hunch is based on seeing exactly this too many times…

2 Likes

Sloppy deffo, what about periodic re tightening, is that a regular thing in France as copper regularly creeps and comes loose?

No such official regime, but I always tighten stuff if I’m inside a board.

The better approach is to use modern screw free devices (bornes automatique) for everything, which can’t come loose.

Generally a problem such as shown by @JohnH is due to lack of attention by the installer, i.e. forgetting to give those terminals a final check.

Torque screwdrivers are regulation over in the UK, fire investigation guys check tightness of the connections should it be thought the fire started at the consumer unit.

Good to know, but it still doesn’t stop lack of attention. ENEDIS use them on their side of things, but there were a number of Linky fires caused by sloppy/rushed installers in the early days of the changeover, before they weeded out the bad ones.

1 Like

No writing :slightly_frowning_face:

Wago connectors every time for mains electricity.

2 Likes

Exactly this and that’s now all sorted.

And this, but I haven’t sorted this yet, that will need to be next time I’m down.

1 Like

They’ve had lots of final checks this morning :blush:

Now to go around the 4 sub-boards to check them too.

1 Like

Hmm…
If you can show me the ends of the cables e.g. where they are stripped & are connected to something I might be able to make a more educated guess.

Did your expensive contractor run triphasé to the abri, or just mono?

P.S. my LEAF locks the charging lead to the car, so it can’t be nicked. Yours may do the same & thus allay your fears slightly.

The coloured stripe should tell you.

The yellow one for example is 2.5 purple 4mm and a soft blue 6mm from memory. Reds 1.5mm

You are correct, & I’d already mentioned the yellow 2,5mm². However, what we don’t know is the number of conductors in the cables shown.

Don’t forget that you can get a tax credit for domestic charging points.

1 Like