Brexit humour

Nah, this is funnny

https://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-in-die-welt-to-eu-dont-make-unacceptable-brexit-demands/

Or would be if it were not so pathetically hypocritical.

1 Like

I’m also anticipating a good laugh at the sight of the ERG crowd cow-towing to the whip and voting to support Chequers.

I would pay to see that!!!

Might come to it - if the choice is accept Chequers or topple May. As thet might well derail Brexit altogether or lead to a general election which could well see Labour return to power (shudder) two outcomes which fill them with more horror than Chequers does.

They’ll do it just to get past March 29th and “out” and then try to force a harder deal during “transition”.

This is just a joke, people!
EU Referendum Local Results 2016 vs. Mad Cow Disease Outbreak Areas 1992

4 Likes

LOL, utterly bogus but funny nevertheless.

2 Likes

Source https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2018/sep/25/brian-adcock-on-the-labour-party-conference-and-brexit-cartoon

Of course, the only thing which passes Keir Starmer’s “6 tests” is EU membership itself.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I was a bus conductor on the 109 to Croydon and Purley during the 1972 summer holidays. Did stints on the 133 and 159 that summer as well.

3 Likes

If possible, I got the green (London country?) 409 or 411 into Croydon, but often had to get the 190 or 109 back. Didn’t the 133 go up to Chipstead?

The 133 was Liverpool Street to Streatham garage Mark and the 159 was West Hampstead to Thornton Heath, it went past Abbey Road.

The first time I was on the 133 was on a late shift. At five o’clock my bus filled up at the Liverpool St. terminus with City types, bowler hats and all. Off I went upstairs to start taking fares and found every passenger was only going two stops, to London Bridge station, but each gave me two bob or a half a crown. So I got bogged down handing out change, ran out of change and many of them, including all of downstairs, jumped off at the station without having paid their fare.

I was only a green kid but I reckoned this was a scam and a scam by rich buggers at that. So the next day I was on the same shift and I’d filled up my pockets (it wasn’t cool to use a cash satchel thingy :slight_smile:) with change, one pocket for tanners, one for thruppeny bits etc. When the masses boarded the bus at Liverpool St. I didn’t bother to collect any fares but when we arrived at London Bridge I just stood on the platform as the punters poured down the stairs and out of lower deck and took one fare at a time. It took forever because I had to give each of them their change. They got quite agitated and started complaining they’d miss their trains and that they’s report me etc. etc. I was only a temp so I didn’t care what they did and just kept taking the fares until all had paid.

The next day I was on the same shift again. This time when the hoards boarded the bus I just went upstairs and started from the front as I’d normally do. Low and behold, everyone had the right change :smiley:

I learnt a lesson from that experience.

3 Likes

Evening all, another from bbc3 :+1:

Will history repeat itself with a no-deal Brexit? The British may have to go back to cooking like they did in the good old days that so many Brexiteers seem to crave. Just like in this fabulous video from 1973 :smiley:

5 Likes

I learned to cook from my mother, who taught me and my two brothers. This was in the 1940s when pre-prepared meals were virtually unknown except for bread and Bovril. Even things like baked beans weren’t available until after the war.

My father used to cook a bit too, when my mother was out to work, as most war-time mothers did. He scrambled two eggs with a tin of tomatoes, he called it “How to Make an Egg go a Long Way” and served it with bread and Special Margarine that tasted to me, like axle-grease which it resembled.

I recall that a ‘cooked dinner’ was only served on Sunday, if then. During the week children got school dinners which were nutritious and generally copious and varied, with socond helpings to prevent waste.

During nursing training in 1956 cookery classes were compulsory as a branch of dietetics. We were given the ingredients for a two-course meal, each of us got a different menu. The cooked meal was presented to Matron for her judgement.

I got lamb’s liver and vegetables, I can’t recall the dessert, but I passed the test, thanks to my mother.

It would be nice to think that this process could be recreated post-Brexit, but it will be a mammoth task to re-educate peoole in self-sufficiency, when few people know anything much about fresh ingredients, and the basics of cooking, in the age of the microwave and the take-away culture.

People don’t have the skills or knowledge to cook from scratch anymore. It’s frightening.

2 Likes

For whatever the reason… getting back to basics would be no bad thing… :thinking:

It would be nice, Stella, but I’m with Mandy on this, because there is very little by way of a basic cooking culture, familiarity with fresh vegetables and with ingredients like flour, simple fats, and with basic kitchen utensils and processes.

Exotic cooking is popular on TV, but how much it motivates individuals to cook in their own kitchens is anybody’s guess. Fortunately our own children are skilled, use ingredients judiciously and without waste, and eat little or no animal products.

But better to be optimistic, cooking - even plain cooking - is a joy, and sustains us bountifully.

1 Like

I used to be inspired by Ready, Steady, Cook… and knew (beyond any doubt) that I could produce a meal in 20 minutes… :roll_eyes::rofl::rofl:

OK, so my timing was a little out… but… eventually… the food hit the plates and everyone is still alive to tell the tale… :wink::joy::open_mouth::hugs:

2 Likes

Yes, I remember watching that. Not flamboyant enough for today’s viewers sadly.