Brexit Vote, what next!

Parliament and the EU would accept a ‘soft Brexit’.

Afternoon Teresa, Maybe you are right plus this current bunch of MP’S could not run a bath. But for someone to even think Young adults should not go to university if they don’t have an interest in politics is just mind blowing.

1 Like

What a ridiculous statement.

I was giving your argument some credit - right up to that point.

It is very well known and understood why Brexit might not happen on the 29th - something to do with ‘cake and eat it’ perhaps?

I would have accepted the outcome of the referendum if there had been a sensible margin difference. In the event, the difference was negligible and the, so called, 7.whatever million leave voters is in no way a majority of eligible voters within the UK. You might tell me that more remain voters should have voted then, and I might agree with you, but I am fed up to the back teeth with our legislators dictating to me that this is ‘the will of the people’ and that the votes of the ‘7.whatever million’ matter. WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF US??? DONT WE MATTER??? I AM NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE!!!

Why in God’s name is the UK so adept at shooting itself in the foot every chance it gets???

3 Likes

Afternoon Carl, If remain would have won by 1 vote then remain would have won i would have accepted the result. I don’t remember a section on the ballet paper stating must be clear winner by 10% etc etc. I do love the way remain either have a crystal ball about this negative future or just try scaremongering all the time. Finally Carl you do matter.

2 Likes

With respect Torre even the likes of JRM think that there will be some ‘Brexit pain’ to endure before the free trade agreements pour in (or not as is likely).

1 Like

I don’t agree - lets find out!

1 Like

Afternoon Tim, not for one minute do i not think there will be some pain to begin with but i guess we will never find out.

Afternoon Guy, lets have another vote then, and in 2021 and 2023 oh and 2025 just to make sure.

Don’t be ridiculous @anon69921496 , we only need to vote until we get the right result :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree completely!

It is simple we just need to vote on what has emerged as the reality of Brexit rather than the undeliverable promises made before.

1 Like

As long as the facts change people have the right to change their minds.

As long as it takes.

1 Like

Afternoon Matt, what is the reality of Brexit? it has not happened so no one knows. Its all could, might etc etc etc. I have said many times the day after the referendum we offered the EU a free trade deal and given them 10 weeks to accept/reject then if they reject spend the rest of the last 2 years getting our house in order. We didn’t and now we are in this mess.

We all now know a great deal more about Brexit now than we did, and someone now peddling promises of chocolate covered unicorn droppings would be found out pretty quickly.

I agree we don’t know exactly what Brexit would be but we have a pretty good idea.

1 Like

My personal feeling is that if there is going to be a referendum about something affecting not only the long-term future of a country, but also its citizens abroad and citizens of other countries who live there, then voting should be compulsory as it is in lots of countries*, eligibility should be adjusted to suit the situation and there should be a clear margin of eg 10% if the status quo is to change.

*This means if you don’t like either option or candidate you vote ‘blanc’ as a protest and that vote is counted.

3 Likes

Hi Torre,

I voted remain. I didn’t vote for this chaos.

In what way are remain blocking the result of the referendum?

I would say the majority of politicians are putting party political interests above the good of the country. They need to be more honest with the electorate.

The referendum result is undeliverable, as politics is the art of the possible (i.e reality!!) There is no Brexit unicorn to be found.

The option are: 1. No deal chaos

1. A version of Theresa May’s deal. This will leave us poorer and still abiding by some EU rules whilst having less say. So the very thing Brexiteers were railing against ( loss of sovereignty) will have come to pass. It would be funny if it wasn’t tragic.

But we can both agree we wish the referendum never happened. I am not looking to ‘block’ the result. I just think the result makes everyone miserable and there is no magic way if delivering a result that people would accept as the Brexit they voted for.

1 Like

If anything the ERG are blocking Brexit by trying to force no deal.

2 Likes

That is the thing I find odd Paul, they could have supported TM last night and her deal might have got through, even David Davies voted for the deal which says something given he resigned after the Chequers bust-up.

I think that they are still banking on dragging us over the cliff edge on the 29th, or perhaps a short time later if we negotiate an extension of just a few weeks.

The truth is they either don’t have a clue or possibly stand to profit handsomely and don’t care if they destroy the country

This  is what they have made of “take back control of our borders, trade and tariffs” - control taken back to shadowy men in dark rooms and borders ripped open to free movement of goods by slashing of tariffs and the notion that we will solve the “Irish Problem” by simply leaving the border open.

It is utter lunacy and anyone who says this is what the public voted for in 2016 is deluded, a liar or probably both.

I am truly ashamed to be British at the moment.

2 Likes

Torre - If remain had one by 1 vote then, no, I would not have been happy. What I think WOULD have happened in that scenario is that it would have been a bloody big wake-up call to the powers that be that there is a major unhappiness in this country and that changes WITHIN the UK needed to have been made. In this event, we would still have had the benefits of EU membership AS WELL AS Government waking up to a serious unease within the Kingdom.

The last three years and heaven knows how many billions could have been spent fixing the ills instead of trying to hold the Tory party together.

And in answer to your final point - no, I alone dont matter…but as one of millions who are going to be very adversely affected by this shit-storm - I do!

1 Like