Brexit voters march on capital

I note that the numbers at the march were substantially fewer than those who demonstrated against the hunting ban. We still have hunting.

Some of us voted for none of them Carl, no vote! :unamused:

Hello Martin and welcome to the Forum.

Please will you update your Registration to show your Full Name as per our T&C’s.

If you are unsure how to do this, simply put your full name on this thread and I will amend it for you…

cheers :relaxed:

And THAT was the biggest con of them all…

1 Like

Me too, although I have been voting for somewhat longer than you Carl.
Recently there was talk of a new party, but it seems to have gone quiet.
Can UK follow France and say a plague on both your house?

You need to read up on Member’s duties. https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmmodern/337/33706.htm

1 Like

I love this part…

_'The first duty of a member of Parliament is to do what he thinks in his faithful and disinterested judgement is right and necessary for the honour and safety of Great Britain. His second duty is to his constituents, of whom he is the representative but not the delegate. Burke’s famous declaration on this subject is well known.

_ It is only in the third place that his duty to party organization or programme takes rank_

. All these three loyalties should be observed, but there in no doubt of the order in which they stand under any healthy manifestation of democracy.’ Sir Winston Churchill on the Duties of a Member of Parliament.[4]_

I think there are a few Cabinet members who need reminding about this!!

2 Likes

just a few!

1 Like

So why have any referendum (where 33+ million voted) if 650 MP’s are then allowed to change the result if they see fit?

It was advisory and gave the British politicians an insight into the feelings of the electorate in general. That insight should have been taken into consideration not forgetting that the main priority is the financial stability of the country. Jumping off a cliff hoping you are going to land OK is neither responsible nor good government despite what a small majority of the population have suggested.

1 Like

The Tory Government leaflet sent to every household in 2016 clearly said ‘The Government will implement what you decide’, ergo the result stands.

As for ‘jumping off a cliff’, how is that anology any different from Scot Ref 1 or Scot Ref 2?

But surely the vote actually showed that there was a very close divide between those voters who wanted to leave the EU and those who wanted to remain in it. Is it really correct to reward the ‘winners’ in this competition if it is liable to cost the country dearly? It’s not a TV talent show.

1 Like

If you tell 40 million voters ‘you have your say and we’ll honour the result’ then that’s what you have to do, I don’t know why people just can’t accept that and move on.

2 Likes

I can’t understand why you think like you do. Difficult innit.

I see myself as a realist, Brexit is going to happen in some form whether I like it or not. Labour could have stopped it last year if they had been brave enough but just like any political party vying for power they didn’t want to take the risk of losing seats to the Tories. It was interesting that many people at the march on Saturday were asking where Corbyn was, I could have told them - avoiding anything to do with Brexit!

You can read can’t you?. For the very reason that people like me and Carl have tried to draw your attention to the principles of Parliamentary Democracy as expressed in the UK. Democracy not ohlocracy. The so called government of lard face Cameron had no justification for putting that nonsense in their propaganda. Not that many Quitlings would have read the rubbish put out by the Tories in their attempt to solve their own civil war.

Democracy is not possible under the circumstances!

bit of a rude way to start a sentence. I am trying to read the rest of it but keep getting pulled back to this line. You make very good debates David you do not need to use lines like that.

2 Likes

Sorry Harry but I have no patience with this sort of feeble minded misunderstanding of what was once a Parliamentary democracy. Ohlocracy is no substitute just ask the Turks.

and if you broke it down better rather than being patronising accusing folks of being unable to read it might no down better. You are a highly intelligent bloke I am pretty sure you could break it down into bite size portions and keep it civil.

2 Likes