Call for EU27 to confirm status of UK citizens

He seems to think we all live in France I certainly don’t, although I am hesitant to mention it as it has upset some people in the past

2 Likes

Suspect it is supposed to be a cliquey group, perhaps the spell checker didn’t catch the misspelling!

Grahame Pigney

P Help save paper - please don’t print this email unless you really need to.
P Sauvegardons la planète. Avez-vous vraiment besoin d’imprimer cet e-mail?

Or it autocorrected I had realised that,but when you set yourself up…

Edward,

Who set who up?

Are you just baiting the group?

Grahame Pigney

Chris,

“Clichy” doesn’t have any argot meaning that could apply to this group.

Grahame Pigney

No I am not baiting,the poster criticised forum members with a post containing a glaring mistake If you leave yourself open for mockery so be it

1 Like

Apologies, but what you said seems to be baiting the poster.

Perhaps simply pointing out the error would be a better way of proceeding.

Grahame Pigney

Hard to bait someone with a four word comment

But perhaps the poster meant “Cliché”. Not that the idea of something overused and stereotypical seems to apply to this group either.

Grahame Pigney

It’s commonly known as "taking the piss":rofl:

2 Likes

But then why is there a problem regarding your staying in France? Presumably if you were born outside France you are on the register of French people born abroad and can get your birth certificate from Nantes. Did you do your service militaire? If you are French you are French, so what is the problem? I am confused now. I don’t see the connexion between the two sentences I have quoted, sorry.

3 Likes

Including you Barrie, after all you don’t appear to be packing to go back to the UK, I can’t think why after all your vituperation.

3 Likes

Even so it won’t injure any organs he actually uses.

2 Likes

:thinking: was this the reason he was refused a CdS? He didn’t qualify for one - just a carte nationale d’identité :wink:

1 Like

Do not feed the troll.

1 Like

Is it really that easy I do remember seeing some article about the problem for allot of people that has French dad ore mom in the old colony’s that not are French on paper I think they were talking about hundreds of thousands that have French blood but not qualify for French passports

If the births weren’t registered properly at the time it is not easy. There is also the issue of Algeria for example having got people who were actually born in France to renounce their french citizenship after ‘54, and now hard to get it back even tho’ they have been living here for many, many years.

Not just issues there. Before a law change in 1973 French women were not allowed to have dual nationality (but men were) , sadly my MIL made the decision (with encouragement from both the French prefet she spoke to and her dh) to take British as they lived in the UK. This has meant that even though my dh’s family is as French as French can be (great grandfather dying at Verdun even) that dh has been rejected for a certificate de nationalitie francais, as even though he mother was born French and is now again French she wasn’t at the time of his birth. It is really painful for him, he barely spoke English until he started school and has always considered himself very much half French. Apparently the income requirements are quite high to go for nationality (which the tribunal told us to do) so looks like we wont’ be getting that until the work situation improves.

[quote=“Bajen, post:176, topic:31722”]
Is it really that easy I do remember seeing some article about the problem for allot of people that has French dad ore mom in the old colony’s
[/quote]o

Well Grahame says he is French, so presumably he has grounds for that and can substantiate it so getting nationality should be easy. If he wasn’t registered in Nantes as a français né à l’étranger it is probably more complicated.

In my family we are completely French but if I look at my ascendants directs for the last 4 generations they were all born outside metropolitan France, just as I was and most of my children were. We are still bona fide citizens of France though, registered in Nantes at birth.

2 Likes

Veronique,

I think I said my ancestry was French, Scottish and English.

My French ancestors were chased out of France because of being persecuted for their Huguenot beliefs and they ended up in London to escape persecution. Doesn’t help us with getting French nationality or even a Carte de Sejour!

Grahame Pigney