Carte de sejour Nigella's dad and I are applying!

Have to say some of the time Michael was very nice.
But not all the time…oh no.

Maybe he has sufficient money for it not to matter whether the UK economy is adversely affected or not.
But it certainly matters to us and I would venture to say to many others living in France too.
Our private pensions, for which we have worked hard without the backing of big business, depend upon the stock market.
His vote could well affect my income, and not surprisingly, I resent that.

We all see it differently.
Yes perhaps Mr Lawson came here well prepared and yes his vote affects me too greatly.
I love working but I actually have little choice but to go on until I drop.

I’m sorry but I just don’t believe that. I know you’re going to say I’m picking on you but come on, in the scheme of things you seem to have life pretty well sussed so to say ’ I actually have little choice but to go on until I drop’ is more than a stretch of the truth.

1 Like

Ian - it is pretty clear from your comments, especially replacing the names of individuals with derogatory manipulations of spelling and pronunciation that you have little or no respect for any politician.

It is a position with which I can have some sympathy but I am not sure it moves the debate forward very much.

If you feel that the EU is “the fourth Reich”, or that it should not be represented at a meeting of the world’s largest economies, or that Juncker is a clod then specific points for discussion would be welcome (the last point should be especially easy :slight_smile: )

so anyone that voted to leave you resent? How about if remain had won and all those leave voters resented you?

His attitude is what you should resent and the dirty tactics that were used by BOTH sides of the argument. Had the plain truth been told by BOTH sides we would have a true referendum but as is always the case BOTH sides told lots of lies building upon more lies.

Many a person on here probably voted leave yet they live here still. People voted leave for reasons we all cannot agree on.

I voted remain but I do not resent those who voted to leave.

1 Like

Hi Harry ! - like you I also voted remain but, unlike you, I honestly DO resent those who voted to leave - predominantly those UK immigrants living in Europe (although not exclusively!!) and specifically those living in France! (baffling)

Admittedly I just don’t understand the Brexiters - compounded by the fact they seem unable to give any valid (or understandable) reasons for their decision. Maybe if they did that - I’d at least respect their stance. Maybe…:slight_smile:

I appreciate I lost in the referendum but that doesn’t mean I have to take it lying down.

1 Like

i just get along with life. if I resented everything that i didn’t like id be a bitter old man. As you know in person my people skills are not great, I tolerate humans (i just about tolerate myself some days lol.)

too many lies told in the referendum on both sides. Had both told the truth we might have a different outcome but we will never know.

Remember we cannot call them Immigrants until we officially leave the eu.

Unfortunately given all the lies told on both sides. I do not understand any of it and just voted with what i would like.

Anyhow im off. see you in a few days for coffee and maybe the my missus will do us a cheese cake.

2 Likes

Yes Tim you are picking on me. Why?
We could do what lots of people do and sell our big, lovely house and buy a small
one and live happily ever after. We almost did. Had people from Paris who fell in love with the property; But we are in love with the region and the work keeps us busy and we are certainly not ready for the quizzes and bingo.

And a special opportunity has come our way so we are not going anywhere for a while.

1 Like

With respect Barbara you do say some contradictory things - ‘little choice but to go on until I drop’ is a far cry from ‘sell our big, lovely house and buy a small one and live happily ever after’. I would say you have you many options rather than ‘little choice’.

3 Likes

do not forget the special opportunity that’s come up too. not many folks get those

1 Like

im intrigued to know the special opportunity. Im sure you will tell us all when the time is right.

1 Like

Not if I want to stay happy.
And part of my happiness is being near to our friends and to the animals which we take care of and could never take with us if we moved away.

1 Like

Ignoring the homophobic slur, except to note in passing that no substantive evidence against Heath was found despite the police spending at least £1.5 million trying how do you feel you were fooled by him?

I was a little young at the time, not yet being a teenager in 1975, so anything but the most basic argument escaped me back then and, anyway, I have a lousy memory but the Internet is a wonderful research tool if used carefully.

Not only did the Treaty of Rome - available in either 1973 or 1975 for anyone interested to read - set out details including elimination of tariffs but also free movement of labour, goods and services, common policies and social provision, changes in national law and the structure of the parliament. In fact that there was a political element was pretty obvious to Joe Grimond when he said, in 1960 “Its field of action is economic, but of course to harmonise economic policies one must accept some political decisions.”. In fact Grimmond seemed somewhat prescient in that, later in the same parliamentary debate, he said “I regard the handling of the European situation as the worst mistake of British diplomacy since the war.” - it seems history is repeating itself.

The effect on UK sovereignty was clearly a subject of debate at the time.

As you might recall pamphlets were sent out to each household - while I would agree that the “Yes” leaflet mentions sovereignty fleetingly (page 4), the “No” campaign leaflet was very clear that the UK risked “becoming merely a province of the European State” so no-one could really claim that this was not being discussed.

In 1971 Heath gave a speech on the (then prospective) membership of the EEC in it he said:

so he clearly acknowledged the debate on this subject even before joining, later in the same speech he said:

again, quite clear that the EEC was a political project.

So, do let us know, how, exactly do you feel Heath misled the nation in 1973 and 1975 on the issue of European political integration?

Or did you just uncritically swallow the line the current Leave campaign trotted out that we were all duped in 1975?

We can all find special opportunities if we are prepared to make sacrifices and take risks.

2 Likes

It may have been the subject of debate in closed rooms etc. but none of what you said was made public knowledge. I was there and lived through it all. All that was pushed was the trade aspect and NOTHING about losing the Sovereignty of the UK to the likes of the gravy train riders in Brussels. As you so rightly say you were not involved as too young and hindsight is a wonderful thing is it not?

And an example of lost Sovereignty would be…??

PS - glad you found some more blood pressure pills Ian - phew!!

You still don’t get it, do you? It had nothing to do with appreciating Europe and Europeans it was to get out of a corrupt club that a lot of cash went into with very little in the way of a return. Just look at the trade balance figures and perhaps you will finally see the light.

1 Like

Does parliament count as “debate in closed rooms”, and the “No” campaign leaflet was distributed widely, was it not?

It was an important decision - did you not think that you should inform yourself as fully as possible, though not doing so seems to be something of a Leaver trait.

1 Like

He’s been banned