Confirmed Britons will need a carte de sejour!

No foreigners over 70 will be supported in France after Brexit.Can a couple survive on 2k euro a month. I don’t have that as he left within three months.

:rofl: :+1:

But which one’s which Peter?:wink:

Think carefully before you answer as one of us will be upset.

Not sure what you mean by “no foreigners over 70 will be supported” after Brexit?

I am 80, my wife 74. Do you have evidence to support your statement Chris? I don’t expect us to be turfed out of home we own, nor do I think the local community would want to see our house fall into dereliction, our garden and hedges overgrown, our healthy financial support for local businesses lost, and our tax revenues ditto.

I am genuinely sorry that your own situation has deteriorated so rapidly, it seems to be quite common, and I can understand why. Moving to and settling into a foreign country is a very unsettling and challenging experience, although there can be a positive side to that which can compensate.

Many people on SNF are living proof that a good life is possible even on an income of less than 1000 euros let alone 2000, if you have no rent or mortgage outgoings.

2 Likes

Don’t get upset, Tim. Neither the constable nor the crocodile waiting in the ‘wings’ will stand for any “getting upset” nonsense, from whatever source. :crocodile::angry::scream:

1 Like

Hmm maybe I could answer that one!

1 Like

I only use and live in four rooms of this house, only back to UK twice in five years. He still pays for bills in the UK, he will never return to t his house, once our dream. Her place is 10 minutes away, abandoned and for sale a long time. He was dumped because she has done this before with another Scotish. The French wont pick up the pieces after Brexit. Not for old ones. He was a fireman who then left her before he even bought the house

Hi Chris
I’m sorry if I haven’t understood everything or maybe not seen an earlier post.
I don’t know what age you are but maybe retired or close to it?
If you have been here 5 years don’t you have a Carte Vitale ? Are you registered at the impôts ? If so you are already in the French system.
Why should the French pick up the pieces after Brexit? What pieces after all they didn’t cause it !
Your relationship has come to an end but don’t let it sour your life, you may find eventually that it was the best thing to have happened.
You life in a wonderful country with a great health service, you have a roof over your head and food. I don’t know how your health is but if possible join some clubs, volunteer your services, lots of people out there need help.
No one knows how we will be treated once Brexit really happens, worrying now on top of everything else will not help or change things.
Life does go on, only you can decdide whether to be miserable and bitter or to try and change things.
Whatever happens be positive, misery attracts misery. Chin up and good luck !

4 Likes

Whatever character you had me down for I bet I was the one getting hitting round the head with a club, just like at home.:grinning:

:+1::joy:

In my high-falutin’ universe of comedic appreciation, Tim luvvie, you are not so much a dramatis persona, more the spirit of arse gratia artis :blush::grin:

1 Like

Thank you Ann, I keep the wolf from the door and live or exist in a house with land that is too big. I try, but am driven mad with anger and sorrow. I kept his secret life, then he leaves me for the estate agent who showed the house. But then she dumped him for a fireman from uk, who then stayed in uk, oddly she is selling their house, which is empty and not selling. So I’d love to jo i n groups and meet nice people.

1 Like

It’s easy for others to say but do please try to leave your anger and sorrow behind.
Your best ‘revenge’ if you will, is to show that you can be strong, that you can make a life and have a future without him.
You say that you have only 2000 euros a month to live on, believe me I have a hell of a lot less. It’s not the money that counts, although of course it can help ease worries, but rather the quality of your life.
I don’t know where you live, but even here in the most rural of France there are local activities.
Club troisième age for example meet once a week in most villages, there are art classes, embroidery etc;
I don’t know your level of French but there are free lessons on Internet and you can practice on the neighbours.
If you like animals there are the SPA who would love to hear from volunteers, to help groom dogs and cats, and other animal charities who need a helping hand. Dog walking, cat sitting, all these things will bring you in contact with people. You won’t meet people by staying at home and ‘ruminating’ on what’s happened. Turn the page, the first step is the hardest but you can do it !

5 Likes

Ann, I can tell that you are one of those rare nice people, I dont disregard your words but it won’t happen for me. I feel like going over and doing.something. I dont have revenge, and I still have his laptop, what makes lo

1 Like

Whereabouts are you?
The best revenge is living well :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’m in Gironde, 33, I don’t care for revenge, if I haven’t done it by now, I won’t. Even his filthy laptop doesnt matter. Believe me I have thought of fire at her house for sale, and soon. Do you know all the facts, he chose to do, Im not caring, dont understand. His midlife crisis meant he went to immobilier, who then dumped him for a scotish hora chef

I can honestly say that we could survive on less than 2k a month and know several couples who do.

Not sure how long ago your split happened but you’re better off without him, when my first wife left it took me all of a day to realise she’d done me a massive favour. It took a while to build a new life and acknowledge it’s much harder to do that here but as Ann has said there are things to get involved with that don’t cost much,I do sense that things are still raw for you but you cannot let what’s happened ruin your life.

3 Likes

Thank you Paul for your wishes ,in fact i was upside down the day i wrote the message, but i am ok now.
You are a good team , always happy to read your messages keeps me in touch with Britain So i will keep on reading your super messages.Be back soon .Love you all

7 Likes

Good to hear from you Carol xxx

yes good to hear from you.

Hi Barbara - on the assumption based on your earlier comments that your “local” prefecture as regards applications for residence cards, citizenship etc is Bordeaux do you happen to know whether they require translation of English official documents - birth / marriage certificates for example? It seems from my preliminary research that the french authorities are entitled but not obliged to request translation of documents submitted to them but that some accept such documents in their original English form without translation. Clearly there is a potentially significant cost to having for me (at the very least) 6 documents translated into French!

Many thanks!