Confirmed Britons will need a carte de sejour!

Thank you Babeth… glad it is not just me…

Hello All, my first post on here so please be gentle!
I was fortunate to attend a local meeting on the CSJ (now TSJ) and came away with the following:
If you have the paperwork, and are eligible to apply then why wait and ‘chance it’?
It is free, takes between 6 weeks and 6 months to get your interview once your application has been submitted and a receipt received.
After 29 March 19, if there is no agreement then you will be required to remain in France during the entire process. If you leave your application will be void, back to square one and outside of the pre-departure time frame. Why risk it?
if you don’t have 5 years history then apply for the one year card. You renew after one year then the next renewal is a 5 year card. Boom, job done.
The only word of caution is that once the Uk has exited from the EU ALL CSJ/TSJ will be exchanged for a non EU resident card. Different colour with less entitlement. You will no longer have free movement throughout Europe as we will be regarded as non EU residents -with residency agreed only in the country of issue.
Back to my earlier point, if you have the paperwork what are you waiting for?
Applications are free, if you are unsure of the system translators charge around 200€ per person to assist you through the process.
My application is going in this September as I have 5 years unbroken residency in February 2019.
Ah that’s another point - you will need 90 days unbroken residency in any 180 day consecutive period to apply after March 2019. It is unclear if the extension will cancel this out if reached.
Go with what you do know, not what might be :wink:

2 Likes

Hello Paul and Welcome to the Forum…

Interesting post… thanks for that… please keep 'em coming… :wink:

Local meeting of CSJ, now TSJ - what do those acronyms stand for please? Something to do with carte de sejour I guess?

And who organised this meeting, i.e. how official was it such as being set up by french administrators from your local prefecture?

Hi Jane,

Yes you’re right Carte Dr Sejour, now called Titre Dr Sejour.

The meeting was organised locally by an administrative assistant who has very close links to the prefecture and has a much wider knowledge of Government Administration.

The thing that struck me most was the ability to put obstacles in the way from the assembled Brits. I didn’t understand that part at all.

Paul, you say that British TdS holders won’t be allowed free movement throughout the EU after Brexit, but what will prevent crossings at the border? I am resident in France and drive a French-immatriculated car. How will my journey into Germany or Belgium be checked as I drive across their borders? Same if I travel by rail, will there be passport checks on all passengers at EU (non)-borders ?

Residency is, of course, a different matter, but erecting obstacles to free movement by French residents across EU borders would clearly be a procedural nonsense and, I think, unlikely to be implemented.

The simple answer is that I don’t know how or if it would be implemented.
The fact remains that it is a distinct possibility though.

Having a CSJ or TSJ gives you the right to remain in France as a permanent resident.

You would need citizenship to be considered a French national with the respective EU freedom of movement rights as I understand.

1 Like

What is there to not understand? Once inside the Schenegan zone there is free movement whether EU citizen or not which the EU is determined to maintain and is why it is so important to properly control the external borders which has to a large extent been a complete failure. The difference will be the right to reside in a country other than one you are registered in.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought, Poppyfields. It was impossible to conceive of any other possibility when it comes to travel, but - as I also said to Paul - residency is another matter.

I’m still wondering what the situation will be in Ireland, where it seems there will have to be free movement of EU citizens across the border with UK, by bus, train, bicycle, pony and trap or combine harvester after Brexit, and presumably across the Irish Sea.

Presumably a Brit will be free to cross into the Republic of Ireland by strolling from Northern Ireland across Farmer O’Shaughnessy’s fields of cauliflowers without anything in his pocket except a prayer card and a betting slip? The world will still be our oyster! :earth_americas::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:

3 Likes

I just rooted around on the web, Stella, and I’m baffled by the distinction. Carte de Resident seems to be linked to refugees and soldiers who were in the Legion, but also to everyone else. I didn’t even know it existed. As to whether I should try to get one and what the advantages or disadvantages might be compared to a carte/titre de séjour I haven’t a clue. I shall ask the mayor next time I see him. I doubt he will know but he can ask the préfecture on my behalf!

2 Likes

Please do, Terry… I am getting mixed messages from my local lot… :thinking:

The last few posts have confirmed to me that no one knows what the fook is going on and therefore there is absolutely no point in clogging up any Prefecture right now to ask for a CDS/CSJ or TSJ or whatever people think they need or is required to continue to live here.

3 Likes

And, reading between your very restrained and gentlemanly lines, Tim, do I pick up on a fervent but unspoken wish that everyone should give the subject of Brexit and Tit*s de Séduire à fooking break, at least until after the Rentrée? :grinning:

2 Likes

Life’s too short Peter, so much is just gossip or hearsay at the moment.

1 Like

Wotts,
“What the Fook”, mean Tim, please speak English Tim, be brave, risk the Mod being a bit upset :rofl:

1 Like

I agree 100% with Tim. I even find the title of this thread odd as once Britain leaves the EU it’s pretty obvious that British citizens living in France will need some sort of residence permit. The trouble is, whatever expat newspapers say, nobody knows exactly what form that permit will take. I’ve certainly got no intention of wasting anybody’s time providing me with a CdS (EU), I much prefer to wait until I know exactly what is required.

2 Likes

Ha ha, Bill, I am sure that you know exactly what that means. Your posts use a lot of Slanglaise, so if I, and others can follow them, then I am sure we all know what Fooks mean. If you can’t find it , or the other like FFS , WTF then I will glady tell you, and others, because we are all adults that … FFS means, For fucks sake, WTF means What the fuck ! What more do you need to know ? :confounded:

4 Likes

Thanks ANN , But! :unamused:
Better to be honest, say wott U mean, see if it’s acceptable, under, " The Terms and Conditions" :wink:

I’ve been living in France since 1969, worked ans am pensioned here … but never French. I have an EU carte de séjour which I illimited as far as date. I can’t remember it having been a big hassle … so go for it before any final Brexit.

1 Like

I agree David, why not? :slightly_smiling_face: