Conspiracy Theory -what is so different between Flu & Covid 19?

Mine was available on October 13th, not before.

1 Like

Taā€¦will ask at pharmacy again tomorrow.

1 Like

Yup, Covid is much more likely to kill you than Influenza, about twice as much

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30527-0/fulltext

1 Like

Very interesting Jane, sadly govā€™s arent publishing, or not that I have seen the stats for cases of the flu. The flu not being as contagious might mean those that would have succumbed to the flu are instead catching covid? Obviously more serious but taking the focus solely to covid. Not withstanding the need to control hospitisation numbers as the UK hospitals are again coming under pressure, possibly because they run at a high occupancy level most of the time with little spare capacity for beds or staff?

There doesnā€™t seem to be much flu around at the moment,between a very active vaccination programme and the Covid measures stopping its spread

3 Likes

Thats confirmed what I was kind of thinking, whereas we would have lost people to flu those are now attributed to covid so is the overall rate going to be any worse than a bad flu season? We will have to wait and see. I take it you have had your covid shots?

It is worth remembering (as I have mentioned previously) that Covid might replace 'flu this year with the result that there are not too many excessive deaths only because the measures against Covid are equally effective against 'flu.

If we did nothing, the chances are that weā€™d have just as much 'flu as normal plus ā€‰Covid to contend with.

3 Likes

I have mentioned previously on here John that I attended to get my Covid shot ,but they wonā€™t give it me yet because of my allergies
I have had my flu shot same as I do every year

Ok stay safe until there is one you can have, this thing is accelerating again dammit.

For anyone still in any doubt

2 Likes

And here you have the terrible result of all those radicalised online. It really beggars belief. Having seen someone become brainwashed by online nonsense it is evident urgent action is required.

I just saw the video - reminds me of a similar situation years ago when some relatives wanted to take a very ill patient home. In that instance I talked them down - not sure Iā€™d like to try with that lot.

We had an incident about 18 months ago when a family wanted to take someone very ill home from a unit adjoining the one I was working on. It is scary and unfair to the staff

Leave them to it, let them sign a discharge form, take the patient home, let the patient die, let them deal with the fact they have killed their family member, whoever it may be. Then prosecute them.
If by some miracle the patient survives so much the better for them and they will have freed up a ventilator for someone else.

2 Likes

Sorry, canā€™t do that.

If the patient has capacity (questionable in the presence of severe infection and hypoxia) they can choose to leave.

IF a relative (or other representative) has LPA covering medical treatment then they can refuse conventional treatment on the patientā€™s behalf.

Otherwise duty of care prevails and the Dr is right to stand his ground and refuse to let the patient leave.

In passing he was described as a consultant - he looked a bit young TBH, even allowing for the fact that Iā€™ve reached an age where freshly minted consultants look like they have only just left kindergarten.

3 Likes

My cousin had severe hypoxia from COPD and pneumonia,he kept refusing the NIV that was essential,the staff went with best interest put the NIV on and as soon as his oxygen came back up he was pleading with them to do all they could

1 Like

LPA ? COPD? NID? Acronym corner perhaps?

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Non Invasive Ventilation

Lasting power of attorney