Covid winter 2022 + new vaccine - France update

As from now, the anti-covid vax is available to ALL folk living in France …

Our village Christmas fair was on Sunday. It was in the large village hall and looked very popular from where I looked. However much I wanted to join, there was a dense maskless throng, and of course many children in a low ceilinged room. Sadly, my mask would not protect me from the germs of others, only them from mine. So, I decided to miss :cry:

Sounds like where I work :joy:

3 Likes

A push to get folk vaccinated…

If you are in daily contact with aged or frail it wont make a jot of difference you can still catch covid and pass it on…
Over 60 cheeky bugger! Over 60 with health issues relating to immune reduction maybe, over 70’s far more realistic as your immune system is waining.
If you have pre existing cardiac issues you may want to take a few days to consider the risk/reward of the absolute risk and not the relative risk which is weighted towards the drug companies marketing material. Informed consent should be explained.

Or indeed if you have new heart issues brought on (you believe) by the vaccination. I certainly won’t be having any more.

3 Likes

the push to get folk vaccinated is to reduce the severity of the effects of Covid if one does catch it…
and less severity means less strain on hospitals etc…

1 Like

I understand your concerns in your own situation…

Not disputing that Stella and people should do what they feel they need to. It was the other garbage they spoke of in that article as I described.

Research support:

“ researchers, writing in the Lancet medical journal, suggested that the rare cases of post-vaccine myocarditis and pericarditis might be connected to the overall immune response to vaccination, not specifically because of the Covid-19 vaccination or the spike protein it is based on. They suggested that the reports of myocarditis and pericarditis might be because of the large scale of Covid-19 vaccination and the close scrutiny it has had.”

“ In the UK up to 24 August 2022 there were 547 cases of myocarditis or pericarditis reported in 18-29-year-olds following the vaccine. This is an average overall rate of 30 cases per million doses (first, second and booster doses.) In 30-39 year-olds there were 468 cases reported following the vaccine, or an overall rate of 27 cases per million doses (These age groups usually received Pfizer, or less frequently Moderna).”

I was diagnosed with myocarditis after having the vaccine. Should I have another dose?

No, you should get advice from your health professional if you were unlucky enough to be one of the few people who have been diagnosed with myocarditis due to the vaccine. You should be asked for a blood sample to test your levels of antibodies. This will help understand how much you are likely to benefit from further vaccine doses and will be used to inform advice on whether you should have another vaccine dose.

I’ve had myocarditis or pericarditis in the past, should I have a Covid vaccine?

Yes. Having had myocarditis or pericarditis (unrelated to the vaccine) doesn’t mean you can’t have the Covid vaccine. There is currently no evidence that people with a history of myocarditis or pericarditis are at increased risk of developing it following the Covid vaccine. If in doubt, ask your health professional for advice.

Pfizer v.s. Moderna vaccines:

“ The authors report several important findings. First, their review provides evidence that the relative incidence of myocarditis is highest among young male individuals between the ages of 12 and 29 years after a second dose. Second, their study finds, with moderate certainty, that the incidence of myocarditis is probably higher after Moderna’s mRNA vaccine than after Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine. Third, with low certainty, they report that the risk of myocarditis or pericarditis might be lower when the second dose is administered more than 30 days after the first dose. Finally, the review finds that most patients are only briefly admitted to hospital and respond well to standard therapy, although long term follow-up is limited.”

1 Like

As at 1 December

As with most colds and flu at this time of year. We will be living with covid for a few years yet. Flu rates are on the increase which may show they are out competing the current covid strains, flu also dangerous for immune weakend and older folk as it could become pneumonia in some.

Exactly Stella. The public authorities must balance the overall total risks for the country as a whole and recommend what’s best for the country as a whole.

1 Like

Popped into the pharmacy yesterday asking for a 4th jab and was dealt with tout suite, but found out later that it was my 5th – am losing count! La Grippe jab next week.

The fifth jab was - Comirnaty Original/Omicron BA5 by Biontech GmbH - but I don’t know what that means!

Luckily the only side effect I’ve had was in early 2020 and that was a mild & gentle tiredness the day following the 1st jab.

Will continue wearing a mask even though now I see even the veterinary clinic staff are not always wearing theirs, which is surprising! And the pharmacy is getting a bit lax – a mask doesn’t seem to be mandatory any more.

1 Like

Our Doc’s surgery… clearly marked … masks must be worn… likewise at X-Ray and later at the Clinic in Perigueux. Everyone was masked.

Our Pharmacy has notices asking folk to wear masks and splash gel… all staff are masked (as was OH and me too…) but not every customer complied.

in our local small shop… counter staff all masked… us too… .but not many others…

2 Likes

Our doc’s surgery is the same - masks obligatory. The pharmacie requests that masks are worn to protect the vulnerable. There are masks and gel available at the entrance. The staff are pretty strict and will insist upon giving people a mask if they are not wearing one and have ignored the ones at the entrance.

1 Like

Masks obligatory at docs and pharmacy with hand cleansers prominent. I always use both. Masks are multi-useful as proved the other day in the pharmacy when it masked my extreme irritation about a general non-urgent discussion causing the processing of my medicals to be repeatedly brought back from confusion. :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s the Pfizer vaccine, tweaked for recent variants.

3 Likes

Bugger… My partner has tested positive for Covid this evening :frowning: I’ve not got symptoms yet but inevitably it’s coming my way shortly too.